Honda Accord/Lexus IS200 anyone? - Tim
I am looking at getting out of the company car scheme, and buy privately.

I had thought about a VW or Audi until I read some threads in this forum.

I had a Honda Accord 10 yrs ago and loved it, but what about the current 2001 car? Is it as trouble free as my old one was, is it good on long runs, and in particular is quiet? I hate cars that suffer tyre and wind noise! The dealer was always very helpfull as well.

And what about Lexus IS200? Did well in the JD Power survey, and comments?

Thanks

Tim
Re: Honda Accord/Lexus IS200 anyone? - Andrew Bairsto
Go for the Honda, first you will be helping British industry more, it is a first rate product not to say the Toyota is not but it is only a premium Avensis all said and done.Top gear this week rated the Honda second to none and for once I agree with them.
regards Andy Bairsto
Go for the Honda, first you will be helping British industry more, it is a first rate product not to say the Toyota is not but it is only a premium Avensis all said and done.Top gear this week rated the Honda second to none and for once I agree with them.
regards Andy Bairsto
regards Andy Bairsto
Re: Honda Accord/Lexus IS200 anyone? - Diesel Dave
Tim,
I doubt whether the IS200 Lexus shares many components with the Avensis, it has a 6 cylinder engine mounted north-south driving the rear wheels - Avensis has a transverse engine driving front wheels. Say no more....

My Father has always owned VWs and has just bought a New Passat 2.0, he has never had any bother whatsoever with them and the VW agent - in Rotherham, is absolutely excellent. have a look at the passat - its really bloody nice.

And funnily enough my mother has a Honda Civic, this is the 4th she's had, and again nothing wrong whatsoever with these cars, and the dealer is first class, but it seems a lot of readers of this site like to Knock VW, however there is a saying that if you have a bad experience you'll tell 10 times as many people as you would if you had a good experience.

Its whether you like the car at the end of the day which should be the main deciding factor.

I personally think the IS 200 is a poor copy of a BMW 3series, which is perhaps worth looking at for you, My wife has a BMW and although we had to wait AGES for delivery, our experince up to now has been only good.
Re: Honda Accord/Lexus IS200 anyone? - honest john
The IS200 is the most sporty Lexus. It's the first Lexus with steering that tells you what the front wheels are doing. It handles very well, traction control system on or off. Its 150bhp engine is top endy and really needs the 6-speed box to deliver any kind of performance. Don't buy the 4 speed auto. The new IS300 will correct the power defecit, but will not handle so well and can't be had with the 6 speed box, but does come with a 5 speed manual or 5 speed auto. Can't understand why Andy described it as a premium Avensis. An Avensis is front wheel drive and definitely doesn't handle. If you can afford an Accord Type R, then go for it. That's a better car than the IS200, but the other Accords aren't. If buying second hand, I can tell you that you won't find a cheap IS200 unless its a grey import.

HJ
Re: Honda Accord/Lexus IS200 anyone? - Tim
I too have had VWs before, passat and a Golf, and neither were perfect, the Passat had a few niggly faults but suffered from road noise and was underpowered. I drove the previous model to Scotland and back, loved the TDi engine but couldn't get comfy in the damn thing.

I think I need to drive the current one to make up my mind,

I heard the IS200 was not too quick, but what a great package! Loads of kit, and it holds its value. If I can raise the money the 325iSE might be on the cards.

I need to go see a dealer.....

Thanks HJ and others for the WoW (words of wisdom)

TB
Re: Honda Accord/Lexus IS200 anyone? - Neil
The IS200 is badged as a Toyota Altezza in Japan. There may be some engine differences between the Lexus and the Toyota but visually, as a quick spin in Gran Turismo 2 will confirm, the cars are identical.
Re: Honda Accord/Lexus IS200 anyone? - GB
I've got an Accord Type-R and it's very quiet considering, excellent on long journeys.
I've had 2 problems with it. Condensation/water in the fog lights and gearbox problems. A mate has the same car and has had exactly the same problems.
All fixed under manufacturers warranty so no problem there.
Other than that its a bloody excellent car. Could use another 100bhp tho. perhaps a 2.5 v-6 Vtec would do it......
Re: Honda Accord/Lexus IS200 anyone? - honest john
Check the news on this site for what a 63,000 mile IS200 sold for today.

HJ