Buying car privately -car has private plates swap? - hotross
Hi,
I have found a car on ebay which i have won the aution on - the plates on the car read "LH02 ---" but the car is currently on a private plate. The seller says that he has the V5 docs and the car is as described.

Make/model details removed - as its a general question really.

I am a complete novice where it comes to cars and am very nervous of buying a car privately - I have a friend who knows cars who will come to collect the car with me so Im not too worried but dont know what I need to look out for.
The guy says he will change the plates back "when I collect and sign the log book" - My question is, I guess this isnt an instant change, so how can I drive the car home if the plates are going to be changed? Will I be able to insure? Also, what do I need to look for when buying a used car? It is an MX5 2002 1.8 -

Thanks for any advice
Ross

Edited by Pugugly on 21/02/2009 at 22:41

Buying car privately -car has private plates swap? - Rattle
You have bought the car now so its a bit late to be asking questions.

Anyway my friend bought a car with private plates and I seem to remember them being a week or so delay before she could pick the car up because of the plate transfer.
Buying car privately -car has private plates swap? - RobertyBob
As Rattle says, it's it bit late now, you have effectively bought the car. All you can do is make sure that it is exactly as described in the auction.

With regard to the registration, my understandig is that you buy the car with the registration as described on the V5. If the vendor wishes to retain the private reg then he will have to get the registration updated before he completes the sale.

Was it clear that the private plate was not included as part of the deal?

Edited by RobertyBob on 21/02/2009 at 16:53

Buying car privately -car has private plates swap? - ohsoslow
If you want to know anything specific about your MX-5 a good place to go is the MX-5 Owners Club site.
Buying car privately -car has private plates swap? - Rattle
Robert that is exactly what happened in this case. It could well be that the transfer has gone ahead the seller just has not got round to physically changing the plates.

You could always check with DVLA once you have more details they are supposed to be helpful.
Buying car privately -car has private plates swap? - I'm a Pane
Let's be clear here. Are the plates on the car the same as the registration on the V5?

If the V5 shows the private plate registration and the seller is now displaying the originals (I assume LH02.. is the original) on the car -this is illegal.

It is the SELLERS responsibility to ensure any transfer of a clerished/private plate is completed BEFORE handing over the car - if he wants to retain the plate.

If you buy the car without a transfer you are buying the car AND the private registration. Whatever registration is on the V5 you sign and take away with you should be on the car, and is legally yours as soon as the deal is done.

In any case, if the plates on the car and the V5 registration do not tally then WALK AWAY until such time as the seller can show you they do.
In fact if the plates shown on the car in the ebay ad do not match the V5 I would walk away completely - without penalty - since the car is not as described.

Let us know what happens!

Buying car privately -car has private plates swap? - pd
There are ways to transfer a plate off a vehicle and transfer ownership all at the same time. This is easiest if the current owner is putting the plate on retention.

It is often easier to do it in person at a local DVLA office as they can tell you what is and isn't possible.

A private plate is pretty normal on an MX-5 but at the end of the day if they want to keep their plate it is the sellers job to sort out the paperwork.

If they phone the DVLA they will probably tell them the procedure for removing the plate and changing ownership at the same time (so the new V5 together with the restored age related plate gets sent directly to the new owner). They're often quite helpful.
Buying car privately -car has private plates swap? - Vansboy
Regarding the actual registration, pretty much covered above.

What you DON'T want is to drive the car away, with anything BUT the assigned number it has NOW.

Don't take it with 'personal' number, with intention of getting it changed after you've got it home - you'll be pinged on the ANPR cameras & have lots fixed penalty fines - & more hassle!!

Do check VIN plate on car & MOT & V5 all match with the correct registration - the MOT will have been stamped by DVLA, if it was done with old registration, displayed.

& the car itself, which model is it? I'll give my input, if you ask again! Worse thing is if it's got the dogleg alloys, which WERE being replaced, under warranty/goodwill, due to severe premature corrosion.

Also a recall may have been missed, on the front foglights, if fitted - they would overheat & melt the bumper!!

Car itself should be fine!!

VB