Focus Indicator (in)audible warning - justinb
One of the very few things I don't like about my Focus is the fact that the indicator warning is inaudible in most conditions, and hidden from view by the steering wheel.
This may sound trivial, but, believe me, it is a potential hazard, if one's indicator has failed to cancel!

My Ford garage say that it is impossible to fit a louder unit. Does anyone out there know differently?

Thanks
Focus Indicator (in)audible warning - Dynamic Dave
Is there not a lamp in the speedo housing to inform the indicators are on then?
Focus Indicator (in)audible warning - Mark (RLBS)
Dave....

"and hidden from view by the steering wheel."

Mark.
Dave....
"and hidden from view by the steering wheel."

D'oh. Just re-read post. Sorry justinb. Thought you were only refering to the tick-tock of the relay - or rather lack of it.
Focus Indicator (in)audible warning - BrianW
I had an audible warning added to the motorbike tostop accidental non-cancellation, since cancellation is manual and dangerous if someone thinks you are turning left and you don't.

Being external it also warns pedestrians that I am intending turning too!
Focus Indicator (in)audible warning - svpworld
You could connect a 12V beeper to each of the rear indicators inside the boot and place somewhere near the back seat... alternatively have a poke around in the fuse box, if its a mechanical flasher, for a suitable 12V intermittently flashing signal.. then connect it to a 12V piezo sounder. Else it would be a dash out jobby, its certainly possible to connect a louder sounder but might need an auto electrician.

S.

Assuming that one has normal hearing (which I don't) should one have to go thru all this rubbish to make the indicators audible on a car that costs £10,000? Discuss!
If you think motoring is expensive don't try divorce!
Focus Indicator (in)audible warning - Richard_H
The present shape Astra suffers from this too.

It is very irritating, especially in sunny conditions when you can't see the light very well on the dash.

It seems to be the norm in new cars.
The present shape Astra suffers from this too.

??? But in all Vauxhalls the fusebox is within the car, hence you can hear the relay tick tocking even if you can't see the dash bulb. I can even hear it with the radio on.
Focus Indicator (in)audible warning - justinb
Thanks for your help (+ the other comments!!)

No, it SHOULD not be "necessary, in a car costing..", actually, £12000 (hi-spec import!), but there you go!

Now I have a few ideas about what's possible, I'll talk to a reputable auto electrician about what's practical/affordable.

I live near a roundabout which has another junction a short way from 'my' exit & I nearly got T-boned by a car whose driver thought I was turning 'left again' ! It would also be a useful reminder on M'ways (High noise levels & no auto-cancelling).

Justin
Focus Indicator (in)audible warning - Dizzy {P}
You may laugh but ...

Many years ago I broke an indicator switch and the replacement was very expensive. Ever since then I have manually flicked off the indicator as I straighten up after a corner or other manoevre, just ahead of the automatic cancellation. It just needs a finger sticking out to flick the switch.

No need for this totally-manual operation really, but it is something that very quickly became second nature and I don't even think about it. In fact, I had forgotten that I do it until I read this thread!

Same when someone asked me if I always I braked with my left foot on my automatic. Sounds stupid but I had to look at the wear pattern on the brake pedal rubber to find the answer! Maybe they shouldn't have let me out after all!

David W, isn't there a Citroen that is built with no automatic indicator cancellation?
Focus Indicator (in)audible warning - Ian (Cape Town)
>>isn't there a Citroen that is built with no automatic indicator cancellation?
Many years ago, my father had a pug 404, while a few years later brother had a 504. Neither had self-cancellers, IIRC.

Focus Indicator (in)audible warning - RichardW
There were lots of Citroens without self cancelling indicators built around the late 70's / early 80's - when cit were using the remote (non stalk) controls (beer can and cheese slicer for the initated!). I have an 84 Visa Convertible that is so equipped. Self-cancelling is a pain as they don't cancel when you want them to, and do when you don't (eg on big roundabouts).

I have a Focus works car, and think that the indicators are operated electronically, and the warning sound is generated electronically - it's very 'wimpy'!!

Richard
Focus Indicator (in)audible warning - svpworld
I understand the new vectra has non-latching indicator stalks, you have to hold it with your hand to keep it on.. is that true?
Also I noticed the new Corsa has an electronic ticking sound for the indicators as opposed to a relay, so guess vaux would implement something similar in new cars?

S.

I understand the new vectra has non-latching indicator stalks, you have
to hold it with your hand to keep it on.. is
that true?

Not quite:
The indicator stalk automatically self-centres, all you have to do is give a gentle press in the appropriate direction to make the lights flash three times. A more purposeful prod makes them flash all the time until you manually switch them off, or until you straighten the steering wheel.
Focus Indicator (in)audible warning - Phil P
One of the very few things I don't like about my
Focus is the fact that the indicator warning is inaudible in
most conditions

Can't say I've ever had a problem hearing the indicator warning in my Focus, even with the stereo on whilst driving on the motorway...
and hidden from view by the steering wheel.

Why don't you adjust your steering wheel and/or seat height so as you can see it then, doesn't that also mean the tops of the speedo & tacho are also obscured, as well as your main-beam warning light?
Focus Indicator (in)audible warning - blank
Phil:

I guess your focus aint a diesel then!

On the pool car focus I drive fairly often, you've no chance of hearing the feeble beeping (not relay click) above about 40mph!

Pug 307 similar, but a bit louder.

Andy
Focus Indicator (in)audible warning - Jon
I have exactly the same problem on my 6 month old Ford Galaxy.

It is a diesel but the indicators are so quite I don't think a petrol model would help much.
Focus Indicator (in)audible warning - rogerb
All I can say to that, Phil, is that I canNOT always hear MINE, when I need to, despite having adequate hearing!

And I don't find it easy to get a comfortable seat/wheel position where the visible warning IS 'visible' !

Anyway, it is the AUDible warning I particularly wish to 'enhance', as I don't feel I should have to rely on looking away from the road (or checking the stalk position 'digitally').

I'd just like the tick-tocks to be a bit LOUDER!!

The idea of rigging something(s) to the rear indicator lights sounds the best bet.

Thanks to all.
Focus Indicator (in)audible warning - Phil P
Yes my Focus is a 2.0 petrol.

Actually one of my biggest annoyances with the Focus controls is that if I flash my headlamps during the daytime and pull the lever slightly too hard, come sun-down I turn on my headlamps and blind some poor b***** becase the main-beam is switched on from my earlier flash...please Ford, why?!?
Focus Indicator (in)audible warning - L'escargot
Yes my Focus is a 2.0 petrol.
Actually one of my biggest annoyances with the Focus controls is
that if I flash my headlamps during the daytime and pull
the lever slightly too hard, come sun-down I turn on my
headlamps and blind some poor b***** becase the main-beam is switched
on from my earlier flash...please Ford, why?!?

Happens on mine too. My biggest gripe is that you can't have the rear fog lamp on without the fronts. My other gripe is why on earth have Ford made it so that the heater automatically reverts to "recirculated air" mode when you restart the car after having turned off the heater fan during the previous journey. Weird !!
Focus Indicator (in)audible warning - Robbo
Have driven numerous Fords over the years. They've all had the same 'undocumented feature' as your Focus. Saves a few pence somewhere I suppose.
Focus Indicator (in)audible warning - Jon Cunningham-Smith
Having just acquired a brand new 2002 model year Focus 1.6, I can only say that I have never heard louder indicators.

The sound also verges on annoying!!! It is so distinctive that it's like no other indicator noise on I've ever heard.

I suspect that your Ford dealer maybe spinning you a yarn.

A suggestion is to test drive a new 2002 model year Focus and see what you think. If they are louder, state this to them and I'm sure they must be able to change some component to bring yours in line.

Car manufacturers aren't the most forthcoming if they have a design flaw that they later rectify.

I also drove a 18 TDCi and a 18 petrol Focus (All 2002 model year) and the indicators have been noisy enough on all of them.

The view of the light is obviously harder to sort!!

Also, try a few dealers: Don't take one opinion as gospel.

Bon Chance and Regards - Jon S