ANPR - BobbyG
Part of post snipped because it was no longer in context once I'd tidied up the thread - PG

I personally think ANPR is a great tool if it helps rid roads of uninsured drivers etc etc but I also feel it is a very reactive system. We let people buy and sell cars, drive cars etc and its only when they happen to pass through ANPR that they get caught and really, the fines etc are not a deterrent at all as can be seen with the number of repeat offenders.

There needs to be a better system of car ownership, the car is yours until DVLA know otherwise. That is supposed to happen just now but how many times do we see that a car has no registered keeper?

Edited by Honestjohn on 19/02/2009 at 20:32

ANPR discussions - Altea Ego
If ANPR is so good and so widespread, why do I see so many cars with number plates that do not meet the legal requirements?

ANPR discussions - Old Navy
Because ANPR cant read them and we dont have enough traffic police.

Edited by Old Navy on 16/02/2009 at 10:19

then ANPR is a waste of time.
Not a wast of time, it raises revenue and can monitor the movement of vheicles.
ANPR discussions - oilrag
From West Yorkshire Police

"During the 12 months April 2007 to March 2008, 15,587 cars have been stopped in West Yorkshire as a consequence of ANPR activity and this has resulted in 970 arrests being made."

That`s good enough for me.
ANPR discussions - daveyjp
ANPR is very widespread - you can be tracked from Newcastle to London wihtout many problems.

What aren't widespread are the operations alluded to by HJ. I see maybe 2 or 3 a year. I can assure you that if you have a dodgy plate and ANPR picks up the fact it can't be read you are likely to get pulled.

Like any large organisation a police force will have good and bad but to me that's a side issue. I'm all for ANPR if it means the killers of Beschenivsky can be caught and brought to trial - that car was tracked from Bradford to London using ANPR technology, so it's not all about catching old blokes with a tax disc 2 days overdue.

ANPR discussions - nortones2
ANPR is probably very effective on arterial routes, but less so in urban areas. As evidenced by the "communal" untaxed, uninsured vehicles used by all and sundry on estates. Unless the police make forays into the vicinity, those cars probably have a charmed life, but limited radius. Under the radar until used for bank-raids etc when they become disposable? Probably what police were doing in HJ's back-yard:)
>I can assure you that if you have a dodgy plate and ANPR picks up the fact it can't be >read you are likely to get pulled.

I am sorry but you are being overly optomistic. If this was the case there would be no illegal plates. - there are plenty.
ANPR discussions - daveyjp
There are only "plenty of illegal" plates for exactly the reason I stated - the number of manned ANPR operations is small. Increase them and the problem reduces. Of course increase them and you end up with threads like this complaining that they cause hold ups.

Once a clean ANPR check is needed to buy fuel we can look forward to no dodgy plates and a subsequent increase in fuel thefts.
ANPR discussions - Mr X
'Once a clean ANPR check is needed to buy fuel we can look forward to no dodgy plates and a subsequent increase in fuel thefts.'

Or you can look forward to being stranded somewhere because some one hasn't put your new insurance details on the computer fast enough or the main server is down.
Carry your certificate. Not terribly hard to do.
ANPR discussions - FotheringtonThomas
Postings on this website have made the point that Insurance Certificates are not considered by policemen as good enough evidence that a driver is insured, and don't prevent the vehicle from being seized.

Edit: SP.

Edited by FotheringtonThomas on 16/02/2009 at 12:20

ANPR discussions - Mr X
I will second that. The Insurance Cert is now no longer worth the paper it is printed on. It is not accepted at the road side as proof of insurance by the police.If the nice computers syas NO, then NO it is.
That's odd. The police expect drivers to take their certificate to the station in many instances. Perhaps they were doubtful of the certificates appearance? Anyway, I will continue to carry mine.
The police expect drivers to take their certificate to the station in many
instances.

Perhaps not these days?

Perhaps they were doubtful of the certificates appearance?

I can print a document indistinguishable from the insurer's one.
ANPR discussions - Bilboman
The biggest failing of ANPR and countless other examples of technology (SatNav, mobile phones, DNA, I'd even go so far as to say pocket calculators!...) is that it is being used to REPLACE human intelligence and discretion rather than COMPLEMENT it.
In an ideal world, a cop pulls over a speeding motorist, motorist passes the "attitude test", it's a fair cop, I was 10 mph over, blah blah, fixed penalty is issued and both are on their way. The argumentative motorist, however, is faced with irrefutable camera evidence and either backs down or has it his way, a day in court, guilty as charged, accumulated costs and fines, that'll teach 'im.
In an ideal world, a shop asistant can add up two prices and work out a 15% discount in their head and haggle/negotiate ad hoc, banter politely with the customer and give good service like the market trader of old; a motorist can take note of landmarks, remember a few street names, work out which way is north from the position of shadows, the smell of the sea, whatever... councils make a proper job of signposting and the canals are not filled with brain dead drivers in SUVs who took a left because the SatNav said so.
And, of course, going back to basics, the presence of a bobby patrolling a neighbourhood (or a motorway!) deters a lot of "moment of madness" speeding/opportunist burglaries, rather than letting it all happen first then spending hours trawling through CCTV footage to chase up a delinquent after the event.
Sigh.
ANPR discussions - rtj70
A few years back, Manchester had a big ANPR operation to catch uninsured drivers. It was near Man City's stadium (not sure of the road number). They stopped a lot of drivers and the area was not selected at random ;-)

Also seen this on the M62 heading west out of Manchester with cars ready to chase down drivers that need stopping.
A good example of technology being used to complement policing. Saves having to have road-blocks to winnow the chaff..... Imagine Weybridge with road blocks to examine each car and driver. No, I don't think ANPR will go away, somehow.
ANPR discussions - oilrag
The very impartiality of ANPR and speed cameras are their strength. My sister would tell you that. as a 19 year old she could have have had two speeding convictions from the patrol car lads - but they asked her out instead.

Ask any woman who has been `let off` for being charming - or bloke who knows of that happening while being brusquely treated and booked himself, despite having the best attitude possible.

Edited by oilrag on 16/02/2009 at 10:59

ANPR discussions - Waino
Ask any woman who has been `let off` for being charming - or bloke who knows of that happening while being brusquely treated and booked himself despite having the best attitude possible. >>

Yes but, Oily, if you're a respectful, repentant ol' boy like me, it is possible to charm your way out of it with a young wpc. Although, as I had Mrs W in the car with me at the time, I didn't go as far as trying to get a date ;-)
ANPR discussions - Lud
What a fascinating thread.

HJ has witnessed an elderly motorist being pulled in an inconvenient, very public place and looking terrified and aghast with plod apparently behaving in an arrogant manner. Serving police officers have countered with anecdotes of their own, the burden of which is that people aren't always as innocent as they look and apparently respectable people are capable of telling lies to discredit the police.

Nothing new here then. But what is interesting really is the reason why respectable citizens in this day and age overreact so to being pulled. Even when plod is courteous and correct - and he isn't always - just having to talk to him in public seems to make people terrified and defensively indignant.

It's because they are wimps; it's because they are confused about the difference between traffic regulations and criminal law; it's because in their heart of hearts they know, in a completely abstract way, that no one is wholly innocent and therefore everyone is partly guilty. Unfortunately it takes a certain intellectual focus, when pulled, to keep one's mind on what the pull is about and its implications. Not everyone seems to manage.

An aspect of the human comedy, which no one should forget has a tragic side.
ANPR discussions - dacouch
I agree this thread has interesting opinions from both sides of the fence, thats the beauty of these forums, people have different opinions and thats what they are opinions.

The Motor Insurance Database is expected to be 95% accurate, if an Insurers does not achieve this level they can and are fined. However this means that in theory 1 in 20 drivers can be pulled over for not having insurance by ANPR cameras.

I have experience with this as I often have police on the phone checking if a customer is insured, often they will take my word for it. Sometimes they will and we offer them the Insurer telephone number to confirm the customer is insured and they will not accept it and will impound the car. (As I said only sometimes).

One of the problems with the MID is that the police find your Insurance from your vehicle registration number so if you enter a digit incorrectly or the Insurer does then your Insurance will not show on the database as they cannot access it. This would often result in a phone call from the police or customer which can often (Not always) be ironed out over the phone. So it is important that you check to ensure your details are noted correctly by your Insurer. You can do this on this link www.askmid.com/askmid.aspx if your details do not show up on here ring your Insurer.

It may perhaps be helpful if the police had an additional search facility for the MID perhaps searching by customer name and / or post code so they can find details of a car insurance where the registration number is a digit out.

Ultimately the anpr cameras and the database will help reduce un insured driving.

However this is new technology and there are teething problems and issues appearing that need ironing out. No doubt this will happen over time as all involved refine their techniques.

ANPR is here to stay so get used to it, the police will refine their techniques in using it and ultimately it is in all of our benefits. We will have to put up with the inconvenience of oaccasionally being pulled over when our details are incorrect but hopefully this will reduce over time. If you are pulled over be as polite as possible as this helps and as we all know you will never ever win an arguement with a police officer so why try just be polite.
ANPR discussions - Mr X
'So it is important that you check to ensure your details are noted correctly by your Insurer.'
Then isn't it high time that Insurance companies started putting that fact in big bold letters on every renewal notice and insurance certificate issued along with the relevant method for checking.
As far as I know, you can only check on line which assumes that everyone driving is computer literate. ?

Its my personal recommendation that you do, it will help reduce the chances of thye information being noted incorrectly. It is not uncommon for a customer to type one digit of their number plate into an insurers website, it is also not uncommon for a number plate to be miss heard when you ring up to change your insurance with your broker.

Like I said the data on the Motor Insurance Database is around 95% accurate, so 1 in 20 drivers details are either wrong or not recorded. It does no harm to check your details are correct.

This is new tecnhnology and all involved are still learning the ropes, that includes the general public. Hopefully any problems will be ironed out
ANPR discussions - Lud
Further to my post above, it must be beyond dispute that some people are naturally bullying and insensitive and sometimes they are policemen in the execution of their duty. Serving policemen on this forum are not averse to harsh criticism of certain of their colleagues, although they must naturally favour their fellow law enforcers to some extent. Who wouldn't?

But the chemistry of these encounters between the police and motorists shouldn't be forgotten. With both parties expecting trouble, it can easily erupt out of nowhere if either or both parties are off colour or not at their best for other reasons. Everything depends on the restraint of the people concerned, which can never be guaranteed.

Edited by Lud on 19/02/2009 at 18:07

ANPR discussions - FocusDriver
To try and get at the nub of this issue, the reason for ANPR is a problem with no license or insurance. Now, its reasonable to expect that while the middle classes will be able to afford learning/test/insurance, those on lower incomes are almost squeezed out. This isn't an excuse but possibly a factor.

The point, of course, is that current thinking is all negative. First you have a legal requirement for insurance, then you rack up the requirements and expense and then, when an increasing number of people opt out of the system, you make the enforcement system progressively more draconian and intrusive, reinforcing the cycle where more and more people opt out by "forgetting" to acquire tax/insurance.

This is the mindset that pervades the EU regulatory apparatus, to the extent that, in time, they will have every car fitted with a Galileo receiver and transponder, so that "big brother" can keep track of every move we make.

ANPR is set to become an ever-burgeoning system. I have nothing to hide but that doesn't mean that I'm not petrified of the potential consequences of databasing entire populations.

Edited by FocusDriver on 16/02/2009 at 13:55

ANPR discussions - woodster
Focus driver - perhaps you need to remember why we have insurance and that its not a 'system' that people choose to opt-out of, it's the law. I happen to disagree that insurance is too expensive. We all have choices here - over whether we drive a car, what car we drive, and thus how expensive insurance is. Buying a cheaper car not only reduces running costs but leaves some cash over for the premiums. A question of priorities. Funny how many people that are uninsured are driving large cars, have the latest mobile phone and a cigarette on the go. I'd hazard a guess (talking from some considerable experience, before you ask) that there's a plasma TV being fed £40 a month Sky at home along with a fridge full of beer too!

Let's not forget the litigious society in which we now live. If one of those uninsured drivers gets hurt they'll still sue the other party, regardless of their own view of the requirement to be insured. What's more, you and I will pay their legal aid through our taxes. Yep, perhaps you're right after all, much of my current thinking is negative. brought about through experience of those that choose to live outside the law at our expense.
ANPR discussions - Mr X
I wonder how long before the law says I am personal responsible for making sure my details appear on the Insurance data base computer and that simply paying the agreed amount to an insurance company is not enough to fulfill my obligations ?
Woodster, I cannot argue with you on the points you've raised; common sense to me normally. My post was an excercise in trying to think laterally. I still think it holds up to a certain degree in terms of insurance being punitively expensive for new drivers or those who've got caught up in an accident. It's obvious why: risk. But the premium comes at you at a very bad time, when you get your first job and paid peanuts. Now I'm not a bleeding heart liberal - I don't think we should just hand over the cash to inexperienced new drivers but it's easy to see where the temptation lies to be a criminal and drive without tax or insurance etc. NOT that I have sympathy: I'm thinking here of those who get driven into by an uninsured driver. And your point about legal aid is a good one in this case.

People SHOULD bloomin' well stick to the law, yes I quite agree but, with the ever-increasing subclass in society, we should look to protect ourselves against their stupidity. Maybe that means...gulp...paying more for petrol or in car tax. I am a man of the small state so this sticks in my craw somewhat; I've never suggested raising tax for anything!

I remain very sceptical of the entire Europe-wide concept of ANPR. Perhaps I'm paranoid, and the EU always manages to make these things - in its own words - "emminently deniable" as part of a payment project to fund the European Space Agency, in tandem with road pricing and other motoring taxes, but as John Shirley said, "
I think paranoia can be instructive in the right doses. Paranoia is a skill."
ANPR discussions - jc2
People aren't always what they seem-local market-elderly lady buys a couple of items and then puts them AND several other items into her bag-the trader says "Put those back,you didn't pay for them!"The other people in the queue say "Poor old rear,she was confused".Trader says "Confused, my backside, she tries it on every stall!!"

Edited by Webmaster on 17/02/2009 at 00:22

ANPR discussions - martint123
To try and get at the nub of this issue, the reason for ANPR is a problem with no license or insurance

Not so.
Around here it would appear to be to get rid of vehicles not registered to individuals ("in the trade", cloned and reported or stolen),
ANPR discussions - b308
Think it will pick up all of them as well as the others... and so it should... whats the problem?

The oft-quoted "alternative" is more police out on the roads... well, yes, thats fine, but how do they check out that car in front isn't stolen, not taxed or insured? By a computer check! So its not a replacement for more cops, its an aid to those that we still have...

MrX, you criticise it for its inaccuracy, whilst I agree that its should not be inaccurate, would you rather the Police not have access to it and have to rely on pulling a driver for some offence and just "getting lucky" or them rely on a system which 19 times out of 20 is correct?! (Two ways of looking at 95%, eh!)
ANPR discussions - Mr X
In my view, until the system is either 100% accurate or no quibble compensation amounts are in place, then the benefit of the doubt must be given to the driver.
Didn't they once used to say ' better 100 guilty men go free than one innocent man be imprisoned " ?
Not if you're a motorist it seems.
ANPR discussions - b308
I believe that you can claim back, but its from your insurance company, not the police, which is right and proper as its their fault...

As for the second sentence, we are talking of people who deliberately drive when they are not allowed to, refuse to tax and insure their cars and chances are don't even service or look after them correctly putting all us law abiding drivers at risk... in those circumstances I am fully behind the use of APNR and do not feel the motorist is being picked on, in this case the odd mistake far outweighs the benefits to the majority of us...

BTW that does not mean that I feel that the accuracy of the database is satisfactory, it should be made to be as close to 100% as is humanly possible... but sometimes we have to accept a compromise, and this is one of those cases...

Edited by b308 on 16/02/2009 at 19:19

ANPR discussions - Mr X
What if instead of a confiscation, we had the death penalty on the spot . Would some of you still be happy to have the whole issue dealt with on the basis of what was written on a computer screen ?
ANPR discussions - Manatee
Yes.
ANPR discussions - Mr X
Amazing, absolutely amazing.
ANPR discussions - Manatee
Well no actually - but I thought it made as much sense as the good old straw man argument you raised.

It would reduce insurance dodging though...
ANPR discussions - b308
I'm surprised at you, MrX, we are not talking about the death sentence, we are talking about, at the worst, confiscation of a car... you did your argument no favours with that comment. Red Herrings spring to mind...
ANPR discussions - Mr X
If you've got a few bob spare every month, a second car in the family, friends to run you about, the gift of the gab..... then wrongful confiscation is a bother to you but livable with. If non of the former apply to you, then it is a disaster .
ANPR discussions - b308
>>then wrongful confiscation is a
bother to you but livable with. If non of the former apply to you then
it is a disaster .

Ok, lets say they pull over 100 people in a check... 5 of them have been pulled over incorrectly the other 95 are breaking the law... so you are actually saying that you'd rather those 95 stay on the road with all the risks a non-insured/taxed/mot'd car or banned driver can cause simply because a small percentage could be inconvenienced (and probably only a very small percentage of that 5% actually have their car impounded).

Next time you speak to relations of a person who has been killed or injured by a banned driver or defective/uninsured car try that argument on them MrX, I'm sure they'd be sympathetic to your views... not!
ANPR discussions - Mr X
Not the view of a man , his wife and his two children left standing by Lancashire Police on the side of a road in Blackpool late one night following a day out to the town. He had insurance all along but still had to wait for friends to collect him in the early hours of the morning following confiscation. What percentage of those 95 go on to kill any one in real life or is it that they are depriving the state of ' money " that is the real problem ?
ANPR discussions - b308
What
percentage of those 95 go on to kill any one in real life or is
it that they are depriving the state of ' money " that is the real
problem ?

Haven't got a clue, MrX, but if they prevent even one banned driver/defective car killing someone then its worth it. And no, its not about lost tax revenue, its about ensuring that we motorists who take the time and money to ensure that our vehicles are safe don't have to share the roads with people who don't give a toss for yours and my safety...

But it is clear from you comments that you'd rather have those types of people still driving around than taken out of circulation... that is truly unbelieveable....
ANPR discussions - Mr X
tinyurl.com/b56jcn
You will see from that link that you can take the time and money yet still be left car less. Fair ?

I do not want uninsured drivers or MOT less cars on our road but neither do I want innocent people being put through hell because of a computer.
Do I become a dangerous driver because my road fund licence is one day out of date ?
ANPR discussions - b308
Do I become a dangerous driver because my road fund licence is one day out
of date ?

You keep harping on about that, but if you read the posts from the police they pick up a lot of banned drivers and unroadworthy/not inusred drivers which are far more dangerous...

As regards the first sentance, no its not fair, but I happen to think that the inconvenience of a few is worth it to reduce the numbers of illegal drivers, as I've said before, because it benefits all of us... you clearly don't and would rather those illegal drivers continue to drive around to cause mayhem... you are entitled to that view but please do not complain on here if you are hit by one.
(percentages)

If this isn't a private argument, then I'd say don't be silly - it's not the "inconvenience", it's the fact that your car is wrongly impounded, there's *no* comeback - *it will cost you* - added to the fact that it is not necessary to impound the thing in the first place. All this has been "done" above, as I'm sure you can see if you look.

Edit: SP, £.

Edited by FotheringtonThomas on 17/02/2009 at 21:02

It is not always the Insurance Companies fault the car is impounded, there can be lots of reasons, you gave the wrong reg number, someone at brokers changed the wrong vehicle over on the wrong policy, police miss interprete MID Data lots of reasons.

I have never known an Insurance Company refund the impound charge.

If your vehicle was not one of the 95% of vehicles on the database they would be entitled (Presently) to say well we are only obliged to ensure it is 95% accurate and we have so we are not paying your impound charges.

ANPR discussions - Mr X
I have heard of cases where the wrongly confiscated victims have been batted between police and insurance companies for the best part of a year as they try to recover their losses. That can't be right or just.
What would happen if you the following all happened at the same time a) Your car did not show on the MID b) you were stopped c) You happened to be Brazilian
Well dacouch, I expect that the first thing would be the collective disconnect from the previous 52 victims, followed by another thinly veiled BBC campaign to mention the Brazilian every day for the next few years. There's precedent already.
ANPR discussions - Pugugly
"Brazilian"

Whatever - but not in here though, move on please.
I believe that you can claim back but its from your insurance company not the
police which is right and proper as its their fault...

If it costs me anything at all, it's wrong. It's not the insurance company that's at fault if they're within limits. Confiscation is a power that does not have to be employed in every circumstance just because the database is not completely up-to-date.
I agree with you Fotherington Thomas, I have known occasions where it could have been solved by a quick call to the Insurance Company or Broker but the officer was not prepared to do this (The vast majority will ring and providing they are happy there is cover in place will allow the person to go or might give them a good old fashion seven day wonder).

If there is ever any confusion, the office can ring the Motor Insurance Database (They have a phoneline for this). They can answer any confusion eg what does "No driving restriction shown" mean and they have the telephone numbers available for each of the Insurers in the UK to confirm whether there is cover in place / a mistake has happend.

As a broker I have fielded many calls from the Motor Insurance Database where an officer has someone at the side of the road. Often the customer cannot remember what the name of their Insurer is or think that we Insure them. We give the MID the relevant details and they pass them on to the officer.

It is not unusual for someone to lie to the officer and say they are insured by XYZ Insurer or broker so they simply ring and confirm it.

Sometimes the police do not ring, so my advice would be to be as polite to the officer as possible and if there is a problem they are more likely to take the time to ring.

There are teething problems with the system and hopefully these will be ironed out over time, until then unless the officer rings and confirms (Assuming it is not on the database and it is not when the Insurer / Brokers office is closed eg nightime) then there will be innocent people who have their vehicles impounded.

The system is around 95% accurate so that means 1 in 20 drivers vehicles are not shown on the system correctly..
ANPR discussions - Mr X
I'm not going to spend the night trawling google but here's just one example
preview.tinyurl.com/ae8gdf
?I was just shocked they could get it so wrong and I wonder how many more people have had their car seized wrongly.?

Some people, dear, don't give a stuff about you! Until we're put in the same situation anyway :)
ANPR discussions - BobbyG
What tool / weapon etc do the police use that is 100% effective? What process / eqpt in any walk of life in any occupation is 100% effective?

I assume that every person arrested by the police is not subsequently charged and convicted and I don't just mean motoring offences?
ANPR discussions - b308
What tool / weapon etc do the police use that is 100% effective?

There isn't one, and there's the rub... if we did away with ANPR then we'd have to go back to the Police driving around and hoping to pull someone in the old fashioned way... that would mean claims of "harrassment" by some if they are pulled more than once or if they are the wrong colour, and also a lot less successfull stops by the Police. At least ANPR gives them a good chance of actually getting someone who is driving illegally and will reduce the numbers of them on the roads more effectively...

Of course the alternative is for the Police to employ far more traffic police, but according to some people's posts that would lead straight to a Police State and we'd be inundated with bent coppers... and I'm not sure where all these new Police are going to come from! Job creation scheme, perhaps?!

I feel sorry for the Police, its a case of damned if they do and damned if they don't!

Edited by b308 on 17/02/2009 at 19:53

Interesting.....

3.4 It is appropriate to remind all officers to maintain a consistent approach to vehicle seizures particularly for no insurance offences. Nevertheless, there may be those occasions where officers will use their discretion wisely and consider that it would be proportionate, if possible to allow the driver to take out insurance at the roadside, albeit that he/she will still be issued with a fixed penalty notice or alternatively reported for summons for the offence of Using a motor vehicle with No Insurance This may occur were seizing the vehicle would adversely impact on the welfare of the occupant e.g. vulnerable adults or young children.

I have known occasions where it could have been
solved by a quick call to the Insurance Company or Broker but the officer was
not prepared to do this

I thought the police *would* do this! There's a bit of a problem, though, from the Law's point of view - just because the broker says the person is insured, it's not necessarily so.

If there is ever any confusion the office can ring the Motor Insurance Database

.. which may not have correct details, as various, incl. you, ISTR, have pointed out.

As a broker I have fielded many calls from the Motor Insurance Database(...)We
give the MID the relevant details and they pass them on to the officer.

Well Done!

It is not unusual for someone to lie to the officer and say they are
insured by XYZ Insurer or broker so they simply ring and confirm it.

Quite right. IMO someone who lies like this should be open to further charges.

There are teething problems with the system and hopefully these will be ironed
out over time until then unless the officer rings and confirms (Assuming it is not
on the database and it is not when the Insurer / Brokers office is closed eg nightime)
then there will be innocent people who have their vehicles impounded.

But the big, big, *big* problem is that "there will be innocent people who have their vehicles impounded" - when, given reasonable circumstances, is quite unneccessary, and those people will suffer a loss as a consequence which can't be put right. There lies the rub.

The system is around 95% accurate so that means 1 in 20 drivers vehicles are
not shown on the system correctly..

I would like to know, if you can provide an authoritative answer, that is, whether this 5% are "not shown on the system correctly" for a minute, or an hour, a day or so, or "forever". I have been under the impression that it's only a temporary state of affairs.
ANPR discussions - Mr X
Of course ANPR is not only a weapon / tool of the police. there are others using it to watch you and your vehicle
tinyurl.com/ca5fu4
ANPR discussions - smokie
Hehe - you always manage to make it sound so sinister. One of the Heathrow parking places uses it, as you approach. By the time you reach the booth they already have your booking on screen etc. It's not all bad...
It is installed at a Sainsburys car park to monitor arrival and departure times, I dont know if it is used to issue penalty notices. Also at Crawly rubbish tip (sorry recycling centre).
ANPR discussions - Mr X
Another bit of info I unearthed is that passing through an ANPR point operated by the police doesn't just get wiped out if it doesn't go ' ping ". The place time and date of your activation is held on computers at the the Polices Hendon base for 5 years.
ANPR discussions - ifithelps
..doesn't just get wiped out if it doesn't go ' ping "...

Criminals may have legal cars.

I know of a case in which the police used ANPR to track a burglar.

His car was straight - he wasn't.

Edited by ifithelps on 17/02/2009 at 20:39

ANPR discussions - Mr X
'Criminals may have legal cars. "
Indeed... and a really good criminal will know the ins and outs of the ANPR system and not be driving around in a vehicle they can be connected with.
'Criminals may have legal cars. "
Indeed... and a really good criminal will know the ins and outs of the ANPR
system and not be driving around in a vehicle they can be connected with.

I think most people realise that ANPR can be put to many uses. Government wise, only those bound by the official secrets act and have a need to know will know the full extent of its use, and then only in their own field of work.

Edited by Old Navy on 17/02/2009 at 20:52

ANPR discussions - Mr X
So very right Old Navy.
ANPR discussions - Armitage Shanks {p}
At Stansted Mid-Term car park you arrive at the barrier, push button for a ticket and it arrives 2 seconds later with your car reg printed on it!
ANPR discussions - ifithelps
... and a really good criminal...

...won't get caught.

I only tend to come across the rubbish ones that do get nicked.

They all have one thing in common - they're all losers.
ANPR discussions - the swiss tony
Hehe - you always manage to make it sound so sinister.

And the fact that innocent peoples private lives being kept on computer for 5 years ISNT sinister?

the fact is we can, and are tracked by our mobile phones is bad enough -I dont see that its anyones business but my own where I (legally) choose to go. to have my travelling habits kept on file, I think is an invasion of my privacy.

how long before we find ANPR records used in a divorce case?
There's a joke there somewhere, surely?

On a serious note, divorce is a civil matter and I'm not yet aware of the precedent that allows the revelation of ANPR data for civil matters. Are you? I'd be pleased to learn.
The police are allowed the to use their discression to allow the person to take out Insurance at the road side eg ring a direct company if say they have vunerable adults or young children with them. (They would could still receive a FPN for the no insurance).

I think a lot of the people that have complaints about having their vehicle impounded when they had insurance and had to walk off busy motorways etc would not be as unhappy if this course was taken as they would not have the cost / inconvenience of getting their vehicle impounded, the danger of walking off a busy road and getting home and they could prove they had valid insurance for the time they were actually driving at a later date.

Why is this not implemented more often instead of just impounding the car?
ANPR discussions - b308
Wasn't there a previous thread whic discussed this "dumped at the side of the road" and found the stories didn't tell the whole truth and that the Police had actually offered onward transport?

Just what is the scale of the problem, does anyone actually know?? Are the ones that make it to the papers the tip of the iceberg or just someone who wants to have a moan?

Surely before we knock the system we should actually ascertain if there is an issue or if its just the odd one which has been blown up out of all recognition because it was a slow news day??

So those of you who are knocking it... your stats proving that there is an issue are?

Edited by b308 on 18/02/2009 at 10:53

ANPR discussions - Mr X
It has actually made it to the Houses of Parliament with an MP ( name of Jones ) being quoted on in Hansards , with him having raised the subject of wrongful confiscation on more than one
occasion.
tinyurl.com/b56jcn
ANPR discussions - b308
MrX I'm not denying that there are people who have problems, I'm asking you for details of how big the problem is... that link actually indicates that the number of incorrect seizures is very small, especially compared with the number of enquiries made on ANPR and the number of cars seized... if anything it backs the view that it is better to inconvenience the few to the benefit of the majority.
ANPR discussions - Mr X
I could provide numerous links but I' am not going to fill this thread with them. Any one can google and it will bring up plenty of examples of wrongful seizure.
ANPR discussions - b308
You were the one that refered us to that quote!

I would refer you to this, from the MP raising the issue:

"The database is an essential component in the drive to rid our roads of uninsured drivers"

Even the MP agrees that it is required, the only issue they have is the small inaccuracy and what happens when someone has insurance but it doesn't show... I have said that I agree that needs sorting... but you seem to be saying that the whole database is not used until we have 100% accuracy... even the MP raising the question never suggested that!

Its also worth remembering that ANPR doesn't only cover just insurance, and has lead to many arrests unconected with MID...

So, if I understand you correctly, MrX, due to a very small number of errors you are saying that the technology should not be used and therefore allowing people carte blanche to get away with driving without insurance, tax, mot or when banned... all of which the use of ANPR allows the police to prevent.

If I'm wrong in that summary, please tell me what I've got wrong, and how you propose they (the Police) ensure that they are still able to catch these people, as I'm damned sure the old system isn't capable of doing so...
If I'm wrong in that summary please tell me what I've got wrong and how
you propose they (the Police) ensure that they are still able to catch these people
as I'm damned sure the old system isn't capable of doing so...

Regarding insurance, if the vehicle is not on the d/b:

If the pullee admits no insurance, impound his car.
If he doesn't admit it:
- if he can't be identified/traced with a reasonable certainty, impound his car.
- if he can be identified/traced with a reasonable certainty, produce/check documents later.

Is that difficult?
ANPR discussions - b308
Sorry, FT, I'm not sure where you are coming from... ANPR helps to identify possible lack of insurance amongst other things... what I was asking is what system will MrX use to obtain the same, or more "hits" as ANPR, to ensure that we catch as many as possible if he bans use of ANPR because of the 5% inaccuracy of MID...
ANPR discussions - Mr X
I will be happy for them to carry using ANPR but for the bodies involved to accept the paper ins certs or other evidence when some one claims to be insured but not on the data base. If, as some seem to suggest, only a tiny minority show up on the system as uninsured when they are in fact insured, what's the problem with letting that 5% go on their way with HORT 1's after gaining proof of address ?
ANPR discussions - Fullchat
Because it becomes 10, 20,30,40,50%

Edited by Fullchat on 18/02/2009 at 18:14

Why, when there're only a few (the figure 5% has been mentioned) that aren't in the D/B?

How *can* it increase to 50% (or even 10%)?
Because you cannot quantify which 5 % are the ones which are insured but show up as not. As they get wise to what excuses to come up with then more should be allowed to go. That's my theory anyway.
I can't see that, unless the same uninsured and lying person is stopped very many times - then the average would go up.

However, if you're pretty sure that someone is who they say they are, you can postpone verification. If they turn out not to be insured, they can be "done". If they do turn out to be insured, the whole problem is then avoided - isn't it?
ANPR discussions - Mr X
It is and I for one can't see why that is not in place until 100% accuracy is achieved. If 100% is not possible, then postponed verification must be the first tool, not confiscation.
On a serious note divorce is a civil matter and I'm not yet aware of
the precedent that allows the revelation of ANPR data for civil matters. Are you? I'd
be pleased to learn.

Correct, divorce IS a civil matter, the point Im trying to make is, ANPR data can be, and is used to track people (many innocent) going about the country, maybe Europe, and this data will be kept for 5 years.....

... so... how long before HMG decides, like they have with other items of data collected about us, that there is money to be made selling this information off?

hence, the following could soon be happening... ''Mr John Smith, was recorded as being in Church Street Reading on these dates, close to the home of the correspondent, Ms Sharon Slapper, when he had told his soon to be ex-wife, he was in meetings in Theale'' could be used against him in a divorce case!

I for one can see it coming.........
ANPR discussions - Mr X
Take the scenario- the police don't like you - you don't like them
Mrs Slapper is found murdered. Your number plate is found to have been in the area at the time of the deadly deed. You admit to being the registered keeper and having been at the wheel that day.......... the rest is not beyond the realms of possibility.
ANPR discussions - BobbyG
Ha ha so now ANPR is going to accuse people of murder?
What do you mean by the rest is not beyond the realms of possibility?

What rest?
ANPR discussions - Bromptonaut
Take the scenario- the police don't like you - you don't like them
Mrs Slapper is found murdered

Same as if a human witness had seen you in the vicinity. Unless there's other evidence eg forensics, DNA domestic CCTV etc however much the police dislike you it's very unlikley you'd get beyond being arrested and questioned under caution.

Unless of course you're a gun obsessed loner with an established pre-disposition to stalk women..........
Or guilty. Just because they don't like you, doesn't mean they're always wrong....
ANPR discussions - Mr X
Look at it another way. Would you ring the police every morning and tell them which streets you will be going down during the day and the night. Would you tell them the times and the places were you could be seen ?. No, I doubt any of us would want to, but do those very things in a motor car and you are considered as fair game via the use of ANPR
You are losing me here. Fair game for what exactly? No different to CCTV. Ms Slapper get murdered, CCTV gets checked. Boyfriends car seen in vicinity, ANPR 'Ping' some distance away en route home. All part of evidence gathering. Boyfriend gets invited in for a 'chat'.
Boyfriend (married) denies being there. Evidence suggest otherwise. Possible suspect???
ANPR discussions - Mr X
I am saying that the motorist is considered fair game for 24/7 surveillance because their vehicle is easily tracked via ANPR with their details quickly to hand. Now when you walk the streets, CCTV might very well be watching your route but it DOESN'T know who you are , where you live.
when you walk the streets CCTV might very well be watching your route but it DOESN'T know
who you are where you live.

Exactly Mr X.... some may not see the problem, and most of the time there isnt one, but... there are times one doesnt want to be tracked, and not for illegal reasons.

1984 is finally here I feel (George Orwells version)
ANPR discussions - Mr X
We were sold the idea of ANPR as a stand alone tool for detecting drivers with no insurance, car tax, mot, licence. How ever, it is becoming clear that it is much more than that. Why keep details of every car that passes it's sensors for 5 years ? To help solve crimes I hear some of you mutter. So the next step must be the collection of DNA off all of us to assist this tool.
ANPR discussions - rtj70
So the next step must be the collection of DNA off all of us to assist this tool.

Keep it motoring.
ANPR discussions - Bromptonaut
Now when you walk the streets CCTV might very well be watching your route but it >> DOESN'T know who you are where you live.

Not yet, but facial recognition software has been under development for years and it's only a matter of time. Once you are a suspect you can be traced anyway - witness the 7/7 bombers tracked from Luton station to their ultimate destinations.
So what are peoples thoughts on this happening in the future

The year is 2054 and Washington DC is a benign and peaceful state where murder has become obsolete. This is thanks to the successful deployment of the Department of Pre-Crime, a unit so sophisticated that it can detect murders before they actually happen and arrest the would-be perpetrators. At the head of operations is Detective John Anderton (Cruise) who uses information acquired from three 'precognates' (floating bodies with the foresight to predict the crimes) to carry out his duties.

This is from Minority Report, people are arrested before they commit the crime! Who would have thought ten years ago we would have had cameras that could read our number plates, be linked to computers to check them against databases etc. Like the other poster said it won't be long before there is facial recognition cameras and you can guess which country will have them first.
ANPR discussions - Mr X
I have nothing to hide. I have done nothing wrong. Yet, by midnight tonight, most of my days driving will be sitting on a server in Hendon and will do so for 5 years.
And that would be a good place to finish this thread.
Why would we want to finish it?
Cos its going round in circles. Conspiracy Theorists v Practical Applicationists.

Edited by Fullchat on 18/02/2009 at 21:58

FC, I wonder whether you could tear yourself away from these discussions (which are, perhaps, on the esoteric periphery of reality) and chat about my post of 18 Feb 09 18:28?
Im no mathematician and the figures were 'tongue in cheek' However if it accepted that 5% of the MID database is not current, then which vehicles of all the ones that fall into that category are or are not actually insured at that point in time?
Dependent on the time of day/ day of the week then there are limitations to how many checks can be conducted.
If you consider the number of reasons/excuses given by anyone flagged up for no insurance then some are telling the truth and some are not. Some might even admit it straight away.
So based on that ,if the checks were inconclusive and anyone telling you that the dog had eaten theirs were to be allowed to drive away. It would not be long before the certain individuals would also be telling you the dog had eaten theirs. A precedent is then set. (I use that as purely an example).
ANPR discussions - Mr X
The dog may well have eaten their paper copy but as Police don't accept a paper cert any longer, even when you fish it out of your glove box, then your argument holds no water.
Mr. X, the paper certificate business is irrelevant to to inaccuracies in the insurance database. If the person is insured, the D/B can be corrected by the insurer, and the check done again later against the db.

Quite frankly *I* wouldn't accept a paper copy of an insurance certificate - on its own - as proof that there's insurance. It *might* give me pause for thought - and, it must be said, that the offering of a forged document ought to lead to further consequences, as it's really quite serious - attempting to pervert the course of justice.

It's very easy to produce forged documents nowadays. Something else is needed - however, if that something is to be relied on, it should be reliable!

Edited by FotheringtonThomas on 19/02/2009 at 17:47

Dependent on the time of day/ day of the week then there are limitations to
how many checks can be conducted.

OK... more below.

If you consider the number of reasons/excuses given by anyone flagged up
for no insurance then some are telling the truth and some are not.

Yes. I'm quite sure that some would lie. If they knowingly do so, IMO they should be subject to further penalty.

Some might even admit it straight away.

Therefore have their car impounded, no probs.

So based on that if the checks were inconclusive and anyone telling you that the
dog had eaten theirs were to be allowed to drive away. It would not be
long before the certain individuals would also be telling you the dog had eaten theirs.

Yes, but the issues is that they can in fact be insured, but the database does not (yet?) show it. It doesn't matter whether the dog ate their certificate, or whether you've no time to check, or even that for some reason the whole database is unavailable, orwhatever.

If you're pretty sure that someone is who they say they are, you can postpone verification. This would allow the person to get their ins. co. to update the database, for instance. If they do turn out to be uninsured, they can be found and "done". If they do turn out to be insured, the whole problem is then avoided - isn't it?

The above paragraph is really the essence of my objection to auto-impounding (pun intended).
ANPR discussions - Mr X
Your perfectly correct FT but we have yet to be told why the police object to doing what you suggest. Once they have established your ID and place of abode, is it really to difficult to follow up if later they discover you had no insurance following further enquiries ?
Mr. X, *that is why I am asking a policeman*.

Edited by FotheringtonThomas on 19/02/2009 at 17:51

But all cars are not 'auto-impounded' as a matter of course. Some tales of woe would suggest that they are but decisions are not made on the MID alone. We know that the MID is not a 100 reliable. Nor is the ANPR database.
If you are convinced that the driver could be telling the truth and everything else checks out then yes why not give the benefit of the doubt and give a 7 day producer and follow up. If other avenues are not checking out or if there are conflict in a story then it may be that the car is seized.
I cannot account for how individuals operate only how I have operated. Taking someones car is not a decision made lightly.

Haven't we done this subject to death before?

Edited by Fullchat on 19/02/2009 at 18:22

ANPR discussions - Mr X
May be but wasn't the most recent case of wrongful confiscation only around two months ago ?
The whole process has been operating long enough for ACPO to have hammered out some sort of national policy rather than leaving the ground troops to wing it ?

Not one of the wrongful ANPR confiscation cases I have read up on have ever provided any evidence of illegal activity or law breaking on behalf of the wronged party.
ANPR discussions - commerdriver
Not one of the wrongful ANPR confiscation cases I have read up on have ever
provided any evidence of illegal activity or law breaking on behalf of the wronged party.

Surely if they had turned up illegal activity it wouldn't be a wrongful confiscation.
This forum gets more like the Daily M**l every day.

Edited by commerdriver on 19/02/2009 at 18:31

ANPR discussions - Mr X
The suggestion from our PC friends is that there never really has been a wrongful confiscation and that something else has shown up in the end to justify the confiscation in the first place.
I believe that to be wrong.
don't think anyone has suggested that a mistake has never been made, just that the proportion of mistakes is tiny and that some of the claims of people being stranded at the side of motorways etc were just a touch exaggerated.

It's not a perfect system, we don't live in a perfect world but it's a valuable tool in catching the lowlife on the roads and elsewhere and I for one want to see its continued use.
Similarly as long as the historic records of vehicle movement are used for reactive policing rather than big brother activities I can't see a big problem.
On the basis that you think you read up on an issue, but you haven't any means of verifying the truth or the frequency of such events, sceptics are called names?
who was that addressed to nortones?
Cassandra. Oops:) Mr X, of course. It got bumped.

Edited by nortones2 on 19/02/2009 at 18:58

When driving I have a registration plate which matches the make and model of my car and can provide my name and address, I carry photo ID (bus pass and photocopy of my driving licence, matches name and address), I have debit and credit cards in my name and I have photocopies of my MOT and certificate of insurance. Even if my car fell off the MID If that lot is not enough to satisfy the police we might just as well all drive to the nearest police station and surrender our cars. I also belive that the police are being unfairly bashed and should be credited with just a little common sense.
Seen on the Henley Road, coming out of Caversham Reading tonight.....

One ANPR van,
Three police motorcycles with seated riders engines running,
Eight police officers (in addition to the above....)

would have been a good time to do a bank job in Whitley........
Visible policing. Much sought after. Anyone complaining? (Silly question, I know they will)

Slightly OT, a few years back I went out on shift twice with a traffic officer from Taplow, both Friday nights. That was before traffic had quite such a range of duties. but we covered a huge patch. One time we got an "officer down" call but we were at the wrong end of the patch. it emerged that there was only 1 other traffic car out that night. (Obviously there were locals too).
Visible policing. Much sought after. Anyone complaining? (Silly question I know they will)

Visible police IS what we want... visible waste of police resources is another matter...

those 8 officers were standing around chatting when I went past, OK they may have pulled a few cars at once but...... come on.. that is OTT when there isnt enough coppers to come when you find you house broken in, or whatever!
ANPR discussions - b308
Assumption time again?... ok so there were several around, but I doubt that the low lives all drive past a suitable intervals for just one or two coppers to deal with... you may get none for an hour and then a rush!

And I'd have thought that if there was a sudden rush of break ins locally they could have detached a few to go chasing...

Yet another case of damned if they do and damned if they don't...
ANPR discussions - Mr X
Are you familiar with that new fangled device that is popular with scallywags and bounders ?
It's called the mobile phone. When an ANPR trap is set up, these types have been known to quickly send out texts and ring each other to pass on a warning as to what is occurring.
ANPR discussions - b308
When an ANPR trap is set up these types have
been known to quickly send out texts and ring each other to pass on a
warning as to what is occurring.

So are you saying that the Police should not bother because of the above... just think how many other scenarios that are part of policing that could apply to... football thugs... they could take another route and duff up some other unsuspecting passer-by... burglars could phone each other if they saw the police... drug dealers move to another place after 'phone warnings...

Would you rather the Police did nothing, MrX?... Sorry, I didn't need to ask that question we already know the answer is Yes!
ANPR discussions - Mr X
No in answer to your question.
It was the suggestion that nothing might happen for an hour and then a rush which made me chuckle. An hour is plenty long enough for the jungle drums to have been beaten and I very much doubt following that hour, a rush will take place.
Might come as a surprise this; all villains and law breakers are not united by a common bond and have each others mobile phone numbers in their 'friends and favourites' directory.
The only things that are common are their lifestyle and a unique number issued by a government agency. (And I don't mean the Benefits Agency )

Edited by Fullchat on 20/02/2009 at 17:57

Might come as a surprise this; all villains and law breakers are not united by
a common bond ...........

and there was me thinking ANPR was about catching uninsured or untaxed vehicles, not stopping all villains!
sounds like all villains need to do, is make sure their cars are fully legal to get past the police.

Hmmm just had a thought... if i park an uninsured car in my drive, leave the keys on the hallway table, put an empty widescreen TV box on display, i could single handedly assist the police in catching the local housebreakers!

Crim see's I have a new tv... enters house... sees keys, loads tv and other stuff in my (uninsured) car... drives off... gets stopped for no insurance!!!
Re visible policing, if you watch some of the police programmes there seem to be quite a few coppers but very few of them in uniform - except traffic and the ones sorting out the late night drunks in the town centres. I have been quite surprised by the number of plain clothes police, especially in London, maybe they are more prevalent than we realise.
We know that the MID is not a 100 reliable. Nor is the ANPR database.
If you are convinced that the driver could be telling the truth and everything else
checks out then yes why not give the benefit of the doubt and give a
7 day producer and follow up.

If this really is done, then great!
If other avenues are not checking out or if
there are conflict in a story then it may be that the car is seized.

Quite.

I cannot account for how individuals operate only how I have operated.

Point taken. Perhaps a "code of practice"? Argh, more paperwork....

Haven't we done this subject to death before?

It has been mentioned a few times - however, unless I've missed something, yours is the first and only post that entertains the possibilities stated above.

Thanks.
ANPR discussions - Lud
Big mass pull just now outside the tube station a couple of hundred yards down the road in a neighbourhood whose once-tasty reputation is hardly deserved these days. Not just the usual couple of community plod but about ten others, real ones, with a van parked in the minicab rank.

They were pulling civilians of course, not motorists. They were rifling through some young guy's pockets as I passed, and had a metal detector arch set up there on the pavement.
ANPR discussions - Alby Back
I expect they are on the lookout for a gent of distinguished years who having been reported missing prior to Christmas has been seen affecting a Crocodile Dundee style of apparel and now allegedly carries and brandishes a large bowie knife........

Rumoured to be frightening passers by with mutterings of "M'names Luddy, G'day, that's not a knife...... er Cobber".....
MrX - Having read countless contributions from you, I wonder if you have an opinion about exactly what the Police should be doing, and how? Perhaps you could give us the benefit of your informed opinion, detailing Policing priorities, how you arrive at them and how they should be achieved. Perhaps I could assist you by suggesting that crime and the motor car are inextricably linked (criminals travel by car, even very short distances since they are intrinsically lazy) Would you also share your vast knowledge of ANPR with us and explain it's primary workings and function i.e. those achieved before simply highlighting uninsured/taxed vehicles (I know such use has not been fully explained here and I'd love to know it's real use). Once you've detailed the answers perhaps the rest of us could discuss your suggestions with you? To reiterate and make myself clear: I suggest the link to motoring is established by the continued discussion on this motoring forum about Policing and the link between the criminal and the car.
and explain it's primary workings and function i.e. those achieved before simply highlighting uninsured/taxed vehicles
(I know such use has not been fully explained here and I'd love to know
it's real use).

Woodster, you will not get that information here, see my post above (Tue 17 Feb 20:49). Its full use and capabilities will not be revealed here and I very much doubt if a traffic policeman will know the full extent of its use anyway.
Perhaps I could assist you by suggesting that crime and
the motor car are inextricably linked (criminals travel by car even very short distances since
they are intrinsically lazy)

so before the motorcar, we didnt have crime?
to stop crime, ban all cars?

(shakes head and wanders off..........)

Edited by rtj70 on 20/02/2009 at 21:51

ANPR discussions - rtj70
So Lud, this is not ANPR then is it. No further discussion on this. A police operation yes but not a motoring one. Thanks.
Swiss Tony - D'oh! perhaps the criminal adapted to the car? Of course we had crime before cars, but it does not follow that criminals have denounced the car.

Old navy. I am more than familiar with the full capability of ANPR thanks. I suspect MrX is not. That was my point.

Edited by rtj70 on 20/02/2009 at 21:51

ANPR discussions - Mr X
Discuss ANPR not each others' thoughts etc

Edited by rtj70 on 20/02/2009 at 23:27

Discuss ANPR not each others' thoughts etc

Edited by rtj70 on 20/02/2009 at 23:27