Tyre sizes - Collos25
I have aquired a 2006 x type 2.0d estate which has a set of worn 205/55/16 tyres and in my shed I have a set of new 225/55/16 tyres if I change them then the speedo is going to read 2.5 mph slow at 60mph my logic says because that speedos over estimate speed that it should balance itself out.Are there any flaws in my theory it seems a shame to have to buy new tyres when I have these others in stock and being a true Yorkshire man wallet comes first.
Tyre sizes - FotheringtonThomas
I'd just make sure the *wider* tyres are not going to foul anything, and if they don't & the tyres are OK fit 'em if the wheelss are up to it..
Tyre sizes - Lygonos
If they are not a standard size for the car you need to tell your insurer (very likely).

It may also increase road-noise and propensity to aquaplaning (depends on the brand as well).
Tyre sizes - Altea Ego
Am i missing out something here? are they not just "wider" but the same size in height? hence the speedo will be the same? will they fit the narrower rims?
Tyre sizes - R75
height is measured as a ratio, not a a physical measurement. So 55 is 55% of the width, not 55mm etc.

Also, I believe that there are a special tyre for the X-type, might well be wrong on that, but it rings a bell for some reason!
Tyre sizes - Alby Back
The sidewall height is expressed as a percentage of a tyres width. Therefore a 225/55 will be "taller" than a 205/55 and will therefore have a greater circumference.

Don't ask me why I know that.......

Edited by Humph Backbridge on 19/02/2009 at 15:14

Tyre sizes - Altea Ego
Ah now i know

Tyre sizes - Alby Back
I find passing on little snippets like that over the family dinner table livens up mealtimes. At least they smile and nod to each other in what I take to be interested approval....

;-)
Tyre sizes - Altea Ego
Dinner at Humph Backbridge House must be a lively old affair...
Tyre sizes - Alby Back
Indeed ! Sometimes we get onto really fascinating stuff like wiper blades and so on....

;-)
Tyre sizes - rtj70
These tyres will have a diameter about 22mm bigger (3.48%). The 225mm is the width of the tyre and the sidewall is 55% of this. And 55% of 225mm is bigger than 55% of 205mm. Pretty obvious.

So these are possibly slightly too big I would think. And they may be too wide for the rims anyway. I think 225/50/R16 would be okay but again would they fit on the rims?

Edited by rtj70 on 19/02/2009 at 15:17

Tyre sizes - Vansboy
Is the size a fitment on other models, in the range?

Maybe that'll give an indication of the suitability.

VB
Tyre sizes - ifithelps
...Is the size a fitment on other models in the range?...

The X-Type brochure is not a mine of technical information, but it says X-types come with 17" wheels, with 18" an option in some cases.

No tyre sizes are given.

No current X-types have 16" wheels - according to the brochure.
Tyre sizes - yorkiebar
According to my info,

they can be fitted with 225/50 x 17, but on different size wheels.

No mention of 16 other than 205/55 x 16
Tyre sizes - gmac
It's not recommended.
The difference in diameter is 3.48% (22mm). The maximum recommended is 2.5%

Tyre calculator can be found here: tinyurl.com/auedqf
Tyre sizes - rtj70
It looks like it is not recommended and I cannot see how a wheel that takes tyres that are 205mm wide can deal with a tyre that is an additional 20mm wide. Almost an inch.

I think it's a non starter. Nothing to do with the 3.48% increase in diameter but I'm thinking width.
Tyre sizes - gmac
Andy doesn't tell us what rims the tyres are going on but a rim of 7 or 7.5 inches will take both tyre sizes.
7" rim will take between 195 and 225, 7.5" will take 205 to 235.

Edited by gmac on 19/02/2009 at 20:33