2nd mid-life crisis- so, what car? - tack
Am into my 2nd (real) mid-life crisis. Having got one out of the way in November 2006 (heart attack = Saab Convertible). I have now been diagnosed with a degenerative neurological condition. A big thank you, Dr Parkinson, for giving it a name!

Courtesy of DVLA, it is likely that my driving days will be numbered eventually, and I want to go out with a bang rather than a whimper. Looking to spend £15k + trade in on my C4 Picasso on something sporty and comfortable and even quite practical for day to day use. I don't mind having to get on hands and knees to get out of it, as long as I can get IN it!

1st thoughts err towards an SLK or even a Cayman. That's the heart speaking. The other voice; emanating from my head, says some form of 6 cyl exec' i.e. BMW 3 series or Merc' CLK or an Audi. Pray to God my backside has no say in it then heaven knows what we will end up with. Got to be auto, leather.

Choices, choices.
2nd mid-life crisis- so, what car? - boxsterboy
Its got to be a Boxster or a Cayman (I would say that wouldn't I?)

I no longer own a Boxster but have driven an SLK extensively, and there's just no comparison.

Get a Porsche and get it on a track.

Diagnosises like yours put life in perspective. Make the most of what's left!
2nd mid-life crisis- so, what car? - legacylad
Nissan 350Z soft top. See HJ's road test.
2nd mid-life crisis- so, what car? - ifithelps
Mustang
2nd mid-life crisis- so, what car? - oldtoffee
Jag XKR?

2nd mid-life crisis- so, what car? - Mapmaker
Bad luck.

I cannot imagine somebody choosing to buy a 3 series from choice - particularly not in your situation. Yawn. Don't you want something that makes you smile when you look at it, not just when you floor it?

Jaguar XK. Mk ii Jaguar. Audi TT quattro. Subaru Imprezza Turbo. Morgan. Lotus.

2nd mid-life crisis- so, what car? - rtj70
BMW 3 series (unless an M3) or the MB SLK are boring though. You want to have fun!

Cayman would be worth a test drive at least.. but will it be in budget? An older Boxster might be even more fun! But aren't they all going to be manual and not the auto you want?
2nd mid-life crisis- so, what car? - Andrew-T
> I want to go out with a bang ..

Sorry to hear of the diagnoses, but I hope you don't mean this literally. Unless you intend to throw away money needlessly, there should be plenty of temptingly-priced used ones ...

Edited by Andrew-T on 10/02/2009 at 17:08

2nd mid-life crisis- so, what car? - mss1tw
Wow tack, sorry to learn about that.

Personally I'd blow everything on this:

tinyurl.com/5qmj2b

A snip at $190,000
2nd mid-life crisis- so, what car? - Bagpuss
Maybe with the credit crunch the aircooled Porsche 911s will drop into your price range. Totally different from any modern car to drive, from the floor hinged pedals and nose-to-the-windscreen driving position to the spine tingling sound. Timeless shape and makes every drive an occasion. Some automatics about.
2nd mid-life crisis- so, what car? - bintang
I don't like German cars: they have no soul. For me it would be an older-type Ferrrari, from the days when they looked like cars and not like floor-level inflated mattresses.
2nd mid-life crisis- so, what car? - Happy Blue!
Sorry to hear the news tack. I hope that your remaining days as a driver are far more interesting than the time before your diagnosis.

For what its worth, I would avoid any standard German coupe, even with a big engine. Why not drive something not compromised and get a real road legal quasi sports car.

By this I mean a Lotus, or an air cooled 911 or a Honda NSX. Something different.

2nd mid-life crisis- so, what car? - FocusDriver
I don't mind having to get on hands and knees to get out of it, as long as I can get IN it! Ha!

Well I'm going to say Cayman. Don't know why but I reckon they ooze a significant but quiet sexiness. Had one in front of me yesterday morning and even at that hour, I managed to purse my lips with envy. Lovely.

If you're anything like me Tack (and let's hope you're not) I wouldn't want anything TOO leary as I quite like relative anonymity.

Best of luck with whatever you choose, and long may your DNC be kept at bay :)
2nd mid-life crisis- so, what car? - ForumNeedsModerating
I'd have to second the XKR suggestion. For your sort of money an 04 plate must be in range - it would give you a lift just looking at it, let alone the lovely V8 rumble!
2nd mid-life crisis- so, what car? - spikeyhead {p}
I'd go for a Boxster, don't think that a Cayman will be in reach unless its very leggy.

Stunning performance and very usable on a daily basis.
2nd mid-life crisis- so, what car? - stan10
So sorry to hear your story.

I have quickly looked at this site, no luck with "ferrari" for your budget, but "jaguar", "porsche", and "chevrolet", have come up with some interesting cars (that's a wicked black camaro for £11k - boot and four seats too,)

www.carandclassic.co.uk

for more modern, autotrader has you tripping over boxsters for your budget, or even maserati, aston martin, couple of alfa's, older bentley turbo's, modern mustangs (lhd though), a V12 E-Type Jag, and plenty of XK's .....

buy with your heart, and enjoy.
2nd mid-life crisis- so, what car? - krs one
Corvette, plenty of autos about too.

My aunt has been living with parkinson's for many years and you wouldn't know it to see her. Best of luck.
2nd mid-life crisis- so, what car? - daveyjp
Firstly all the best for the future.

Secondly the car.

Any V8 Jag with a blower for me - IMHO they are all Q cars. No boyracer wil have a go, but you can have a go at them if you feel the urge!

XK for fun, S type or XJ if you need more practicality. The XK cabin is a bit cramped for my liking. The XJR is just plain mad.

A quick autotrader search throws up a 2004 S type R with 23,000 miles for £13,450
Thanks for kind words and choices. I have to wait to see if it is Parkinsons Plus (plus, not in a good way) or Parkinsons light.

I have seen Caymans for just over 20K

Am in Singapore on route to N/Zealand for a month (a mid life crisis trip) Amazing what you can think of to do with your folding stuff during times of stress.

Will give car my full attention when I get back.
Cheers
2nd mid-life crisis- so, what car? - Cliff Pope
Rotten luck - my sympathies. I suspect you have already sussed that your attitude of mind and to life generally will to some extent enhance or even extend active life.

For what it's worth I would say it is what you propose doing with the car that is most important, not just the particular car itself. There would be no fun in just being stuck on the M25 in your dream car.
But picknicking in a gorgeous remote spot, with a hamper and warm sun, with your dream car parked at one side quietly cooling after a good run, that might be paradise.

Don't read the car race chapter in "On the Beach" !
2nd mid-life crisis- so, what car? - MVP
Subaru Imprezza with gold alloys and a big spoiler on the back ?
2nd mid-life crisis- so, what car? - gordonbennet
Tack, i'm moved by your situation, all the very best for your future.

I undertsand those who suggest a sports car, but you could get those thrills by treating yourself to track days.

Have you thought about getting something older, a classic benz or something like that, not going back to running boards unless thats your thing.
I'm thinking along the lines of something fast comfortable and extremely beautiful, maybe like a W111 280se convertible, or a W126 500/560 coupe, but you will have your own thoughts on this.

It may be nice to have something unique,a classic timeless beauty to enjoy being with whilst not using.

Could there be a better way to cruise the loveliest parts of our island and Europe.
2nd mid-life crisis- so, what car? - DuncanSuperb
Tack so sorry to hear your news. Your frankness and admirable positive attitude is quite humbling.

Have you ever had an Alfa? If not this could be the time to consider it. The Alfa Brera is truely gorgeous and a nearly new one is within your price although autos are rare. Check it out.

Best Wishes and please let us know how you get on.
2nd mid-life crisis- so, what car? - barney100
Sorry to hear of your problems and think the best thing to do is draw up a shortlist and try 'em out and go with your heart not your head.
2nd mid-life crisis- so, what car? - madf
I had my midlife crisis when I was 50. I bought an immaculate 1967 Lotus Elan S3 coupe - a car I had loved when young but could not afford. I ran it through the back lanes in low gears enjoying the sound.

Look to your youth and what you always wanted but never had. Buy that and fulfil your dreams...
2nd mid-life crisis- so, what car? - madux
Look to your youth and what you always wanted but never had. Buy that and
fulfil your dreams...

My thoughts exactly. I don't know how old you are but there must have been a car that you really, really wanted when you were young.
E-Type? Morgan? Triumph Stag?
You have plenty of choice for 15k and depreciation will not enter into it.
What am I like? Gone midnight here in hot & humid Singapore, sitting up in bed chez Honestjohn!

Didn't mention, my backside is more sack of spuds than Kylie stylie, so bucket seated sports jobby is probably out. Butt'cheeks hanging over seat is not a good look!

SLK may just give me the sportiness a man of my age(54) can handle, yet still be comfy over a distance.

Loads of Toyota Crowns here as taxi cabs. Car reg' plates also modeled on British ones, except there are 4 numbers, i.e TKL5432X. Constant traffic noise here. I suppose with 4.5m people on a small island, there is bound to be.
2nd mid-life crisis- so, what car? - daveyjp
Tack - If you are still in Singapore - Raffles bakery is great for breakfast and the Royal China, Raffles is excellent!
RAFFLES- Funny you should mention Raffles. Was in there in the Long Bar having an arm and leg amputated to pay for 2 cocktails. Got my own back by flicking peanut shells on the floor. Had cofee and cake in the bakery. Nice, and it only cost a couple of fingers!
2nd mid-life crisis- so, what car? - bintang
Is the Adelphi still open? Its food used to be a lot better than Raffles'