1998 Freelander 2.0TD - good buy or unreliable dog - The Melting Snowman
Hello

Someone I know is selling the above, this is the short wheel base model with the rough old Rover diesel. However it has FSH and is in good condition. I thought it may be a bit of fun for the summer with the back off. £1000 is the asking price.

Any thoughts?

Thanks

TMS
1998 Freelander 2.0TD - good buy or unreliable dog - stunorthants26
Well atleast its not a 1.8 petrol - the Rover diesel isnt a bad lump, its the rest of the car id be worrying about. If its in good nick and you have made sure that absolutely everything works, sounds like alotta car to me.
Just look over it extremely carefully and take for a long test drive.
1998 Freelander 2.0TD - good buy or unreliable dog - doctorchris
Sounds like a bit of fun to me.
Why don't you offer £750 and take it from there?
Are you much of a spannerman, since LR mechanicals are usually fairly basic though trick electronics are not?
1998 Freelander 2.0TD - good buy or unreliable dog - DP
A friend has one, and it's a money pit. He's had it two years and it's cost him over £2,000 in repairs. The big bits were the head gasket, turbo and transfer box, but it's one problem after another.

In its defence, it is a lovely car to drive though. Pulls well and handles surprisingly neatly for such a tall vehicle.

He's at that awful stage with it though where he needs to keep it to try and get some value back for the money he's put into it.

As a disposable car, it's worth a punt.
1998 Freelander 2.0TD - good buy or unreliable dog - The Melting Snowman
I think I will give this one a miss. Read too many negative things about the Freelander today alone - the early ones anyway.
Thanks.
1998 Freelander 2.0TD - good buy or unreliable dog - David Horn
Pretty rubbish off-road. Exhaust scrapes on the smallest rocks and ruts. Freelander 2 much nicer.
1998 Freelander 2.0TD - good buy or unreliable dog - adverse camber
Woof!!
1998 Freelander 2.0TD - good buy or unreliable dog - ex-Triumph man
Are you sure it is a Freelander you are looking at because Land Rover never did make a short and long wheel base model. Do you maybe mean a 3 door or 5 door?
Some things to watch out for
Rear tyre wear - Are the tread blocks chunking? If so walk away. It needs a new IRD unit
Is there water in the spare wheel well?
How efficient is the heater? Does it have air-con? Non a/c cars tended to mist up
As mentioned above, better a diesel than the K series petrol.
1998 Freelander 2.0TD - good buy or unreliable dog - TheOilBurner
TMS, I'm glad you've already been dissuaded from the idea. In case anyone else is fancying one, don't, just don't.

OK the 2.0 TD is a world better than the miserable 1.8 petrol, but the car around it is just a joke.

Our neighbour has a Y reg one, can't tell you exactly how many times it's broke down, friends had a V reg one till recently and it was a nightmare. Everything that could break, did. Engine and interior was just falling apart, even with low miles.

There's so much better out there..