2000 1.4i. brake fluid changed to DOT 5 - rip
Had a new axle fitted to the rear, all fitted fine. The garage replaced the existing brake fluid (dot 4) with dot 5. My car has abs

The brake pedal also feels spongier now (according to some goggling its the silicon that?s in the dot 5 that?s making it do this)

More research shows that it is not compatible with abs systems, is this true and do i ring them and tell them to put either dot 4 or dot 5.1 instead.
2000 1.4i. brake fluid changed to DOT 5 - Woodspeed
Are you sure they used DOT 5 and not 5.1? DOT5 is silicone and not mixable with 3 or 4 and big warnings are on the bottle. We used to play with it for racing but gave up and went back to 4.
Although there are now DOT4 synthetic fluids which are mixable.
5.1 is mixable and back compatible with 3 and 4.
yes i am now aware of this, i will talk to the garage and see what they have done. it says dot 5 on the invoice.
2000 1.4i. brake fluid changed to DOT 5 - Hamsafar
I bet it's DOT 5.1. What colour is the fluid? Silicone is usually blue/purple and 3,4,5.1 is straw/clear. Only a crazy garage would do that, and I wouldn't go there again if they did, I'd probably sue them.

Edited by Hamsafar on 10/02/2009 at 09:27

2000 1.4i. brake fluid changed to DOT 5 - steve_earwig
At the very least they'd have to dismantle the brake hydraulic system and clean it all out gratis.

Enough guesswork, let's wait and see what the garage has to say for themselves. Even if it is 5.1 I'd guess they got something wrong anyway because of the OP's complaint about spongy brakes.
Rang them and they say they only use genuine Peugeot fluids- so looks like ill have to take their word for it. I will check the fluid this evening, a quick look in the reservoir last night it looked a yellow colour but i will double check. I hope it is dot 5.1

Re the spongy pedal- when they changed the axle they used my old brake shoes, and the drums from the donor axle- they say this is the reason for the sponginess feel and it will improve as they bed together- is this feasible?
2000 1.4i. brake fluid changed to DOT 5 - Woodspeed
Yes, if old shoes used (or new for that matter) and it is drum brakes there will be a bedding in period which makes the pedal a little spongy. Should firm up in about 500 miles. Probably the handbrake feels a bit "springy" at the moment too!