Used car ads- why no landline no? - captain chaos
Toying with the idea of buying a cheap, small runabout for the wife to learn to drive. Why is it that, when looking through Autotrader and spotting something suitable, usually it's a mobile number? Part time trader or seller has something to hide? It just puts me off completely, or am I being over cautious? If I was selling a car I'd always give a landline number as well as a mobile, even though a potential buyer would have more chance of reaching me on the latter
Used car ads- why no landline no? - Old Navy
I agree, It puts me off too, but I would not put my home number in an advert. If the advert states that it is a private seller it should be sold from the address on the V5.
Used car ads- why no landline no? - DP
The important thing is that anyone claiming to be a private seller has the V5 in their name, at the address where you are viewing the car. Any discrepancy / meeting in a layby / services nonsense is the point where I would walk away.

There are legitimate reasons for just putting a landline number on an ad. My advice would be to scrutinise the seller, paperwork and car when you get there, and make your call based on that.
Used car ads- why no landline no? - OldSock
Agreed it can look a bit suspicious, but:

1) The numbers may not necessarily be mobiles - an increasing number of websites use 'intermediary' numbers, e.g. 'Tele-safe' - which look a bit like mobile nos.

2) Sellers can buy a PAYG SIM just for the sale of the vehicle. When the car is sold, the SIM is discarded. This eliminates calls being received at all times of the night long after the sale.

3) An increasing number of people no longer have a land-line, relying solely on mobiles and cable.
Used car ads- why no landline no? - Statistical outlier
A landline number proves nothing anyway. My business lines are all 'landlines', but are all virtual - delivery to my PC via VoIP. If anything they are less real than a mobile.

Works well tho :-)
Used car ads- why no landline no? - oldnotbold
"My business lines are all 'landlines', but are all virtual - delivery to my PC via VoIP"

I have VoIP numbers for UK and the US. And I frequently divert my only landline to a mobile, but as has been stated, lots of the AT numbers are virtual intermediary numbers to prevent blanket cold-calling by other listings businesses, so although they start 07xx, they are not the real mobile no. of the advertiser.

www.autotrader.co.uk/safety_and_security/telesafe....p
Used car ads- why no landline no? - David Horn
I don't have a landline. Listed my parent's number in addition to my mobile and interestingly, they got the calls.