S Class tyres - dieseldog
I wonder if anyone knows the orginal factory fit tyres for a '96 P plate S Class 320?

Or any recommendations for tyres to put on this beast?

Hope somebody can help

Thanks
S Class tyres - Nick Moore
My 1997 hard back brochure for the old S class shows the car wearing Dunlops. The photos aren't of sufficient resolution for me to tell you exactly which type, though.

I'd have thought that Continental EcoContact CP tyres would have been a good bet. All the new S classes that I have seen in London wear them, and I have had four on my 1998 Rover 620 for the past year. I have rolled all over Europe on them , and they are just superb - quiet, cheap and hard wearing. What more could you want?

(I paid £50 each fitted at Crown Rover, Soham for the 195 / 65HR15 tyres. The S class takes rather more substantial-sized rubber though!)

Nick.
S Class tyres - Cyd
Nick,
What are thr grip levels like, esp in the wet? And the wet ABS threshold?

Dieseldog,
Friends with Porsches recommend the Dunlop SP9000, plenty of grip esp in wet. Can't comment on wear though - you'd expect Porsches to wear tyres out fast. I have recently changed to Goodyear Eagle F1 on my Rover Vitesse Sport. They were £105 each in 215/45/17 - wear rate is no better than average but wet grip is excellent with a superb wet ABS threshold.

I've heard poor reports on Avon ZZ1 and Uniroyal RTT2. Have a look at www.tyres-online.co.uk under product reviews.
S Class tyres - peteH
Not sure what size tyre you need, The 96 S320 come with difference size tyres depending on various options:

235/60 R16 ZR
225/60 R16 ZR
255/40 R16 ZR

I would have Conti EcoContact CP tyres myself (use CP and EP on various cars - all excellent tyres)

Substantial cost tho for the tyres. Have a look at www.mytyre.net
S Class tyres - dieseldog
Thanks guys for your information.
Its actually a question from my brother who asked me to use this site,(i am normally found dawdling in 306 estate or ax spree!!)
He let me borrow it last weekend as he spent 3 days at that music festival at Leeds.
What a stonking car!,94k on the clock,looks and drives like brand new!
Bought approx 5 months ago,private sale for less than 12k.
Is there better value out there?
S Class tyres - robert
Depending on your location, I would contact Micheldever tyres - Micheldever Station in Hampshire.
S Class tyres - Simon Templar

Mercedes do not specify a particular tyre for a modern model.
They use several Premium manufacturers tyres such that(for Example) a run of S class could come off the line each with different makes of tyre,dependant on on the available batch(es)
being utilised.
I asked MB this question, believing that one particular tyre would be particularly suited to each model.Of course it may well be a commercial decision.

Simon T.