01 1.0 door mirror glass loose & indicator trouble - Theunisse
Two problems:
1. I recently bought a replacement mirror glass for the nearside door mirror, as the previous one had got badly cracked. It seemed reasonably easy to fit, with a central ball and socket joint, but I cannot understand quite how the metal clips fit with the body of the mirror. As a result, it is in, but too loose and will not stay in position when adjusted.
Any advice welcome.
2. The front nearside indicator has stopped working and it is not a blown bulb, as I have checked it and it is fine. All the other indicators are working as normal, but for the front nearside. When indicating left the flasher goes at double speed (this is usual as a warning that something is wrong isn't it?). I did a forum search and someone mentioned dodgy relays, or that disconnecting the battery for ten minutes can sometimes fix the problem. I have tried the battery disconnection but it had no effect.
Any ideas?

Edited by Pugugly on 31/01/2009 at 16:58

01 1.0 Door mirror glass loose & Indicator trouble - elekie&a/c doctor
The metal clips give support and tension to the glass so that it retains its adjustment.Is the ball totally home in its socket?The indicator problem will be a bad connection where the bulb holder secures into the headlight.Check the bulbholder for burning or corrosion on the metal contacts.hth
01 1.0 Door mirror glass loose & Indicator trouble - Theunisse
Thanks for the reply.
I've managed to fit the glass properly this morning. I took the whole wing mirror off and worked at the kitchen table. The two adjuster ball joints weren't seated as they should have been. A few dabs of grease and firm but careful persuasion helped them to click in. Now it is working perfectly.
About hte indicators; I've checked the bulb holder and there is no sign of corrosion or other evidence of arcing or bad contacts, however, it is a very tight fit and I am having real difficulty in putting it back. I'm not confident it is exactly as it should be, but the problem started before I had touched the bulb holder. I only removed the bulb to see if it had blown because the indicator was flashing too fast.