98 1.9 ABS not working,what's the fault code ? - Bully68
I have a May 98 Citroen Xantia 1.9 turbo deisel estate, which is showing an ABS fault on the dash.

I have taken it to a local friendly garage, who have fault read it as code 0118, but they can't find what this relates to? They have tried clearing the fault, but it immediately re-appears.

I'm reluctant to spend a fortune on the car with a Citroen dealer, and would like to try and solve it myself.

I can't find this code on any internet database, does anybody have any ideas where I can find out what is wrong?

Many thanks

Bully

Edited by Pugugly on 29/01/2009 at 22:51

98 1.9 ABS not working, what's the fault code ? - adverse camber
sure that its an abscode not an ecu code? Is there a letterr?
98 1.9 ABS not working, what's the fault code ? - Bully68
I asked the garage to tell me what is wrong with the ABS as that is where the light is. This is the code they have given me, no letter though?

Do you think it may be something else? Whats an ECU?
98 1.9 ABS not working, what's the fault code ? - mjm
>>Whats an ECU?<<

An electronic control unit.

Xantia ecus need interogating with a Lexia unit to get any sensible fault code readings.
I would ask the same question on the frenchcarforum.
If yours is the pre-facelift model then it is possible that water has affected the abs ecu which is under the passenger seat.
It could also be a wheel speed sensor or the connections to them.

There are several experts on the above forum who will probably be able to tell you what that code is in their sleep.

HTH
98 1.9 ABS not working, what's the fault code ? - Peter.N.
The most likely problem is poor connections on the plugs where the sensors are connected to the loom. If you have a Haynes manual it should tell you which sensors are connected to which pins on the Ecu plug, so you can check which sensor is causing the problem with an ordinary ohm meter. I am not sure where the connectors are on the Xantia but on the XM, the front ones are at the bottom of the inner wing, just follow the wires from the sensors, and the rear ones are on top of the sub frame, you will possibly have to remove the exhaust to reach them. Just pull the connections apart, push the plugs in and out a dozen or more times and apply a little grease to the pins.
98 1.9 ABS not working, what's the fault code ? - ianjoh
In my experience of Xantia ABS faults it is more likely to be one of the front sensors. The connector will be about 18 inches from the sensor, best to jack the car up as high as possible and trace them back to the sub frame. As Peter suggests, an ordinary Ohm meter can be used to check - about 2K ohms is normal and the faulty one will be open circuit. These are not cheap to buy new so you need to be sure, it is probably not worth going for used as they dont seem to last and they are not all the same. Good luck!