1998 1.2 vibration through entire car - argybargy
About a week ago, my son's Punto began vibrating through the entire car, particularly at high motorway speed--and the vibration momentarily increases as you decelarate.
Theres not significant vibration at any speed through the steering wheel, which makes me wonder if its not actually a wheel problem, although my first thought was balancing/ tracking. I'm going to check the wheel nuts, tyre pressures etc first, but any advice before I do the rounds of the fast fit centres and get ripped off would be appreciated.
Cheers.

Edited by Dynamic Dave on 28/01/2009 at 00:35

1998 1.2 vibration through entire car - Dynamic Dave
Sounds like the rear tyres could do with rebalancing.
1998 1.2 vibration through entire car - Another John H
If the problem has suddenly started, ask him if he's walloped it up a kerb recently.

Flat spotted wheel rims or bulging tyres produce funny effects.
1998 1.2 vibration through entire car - Armitage Shanks {p}
Could have kerbed it and lost some balance weights and/or damaged a wheel?
You guys seem to be thinking along the same lines as me, which is encouraging.
I'm about to check tyres, wheel nuts etc--if I cant see anything obvious its off to the grubbiest, most honest looking and longest established garage I can find. Cheers.
1998 1.2 vibration through entire car - L'escargot
........ the vibration momentarily increases as you decelarate.

The fact that it momentarily increases when you go from drive to over-run suggests that there might be something amiss in the drivetrain ~ excessive free play in the driveshaft couplings or something similar.

Edited by L'escargot on 28/01/2009 at 10:11

Thanks L'es--just been to a local garage, one I trust--and he found, and pointed out a pretty big "egg" in one of the rear tyres.
Hopefully a new tyre will cure the problem, but if it doesnt, I'll proceed from the point you suggest.
Twas indeed down to the "egg" in the tyre..new tyre fitted, took the car on the motorway and as smooth as eleven year old silk.
Thanks to all for your replies. :0)