Bus lanes - ianhadden
I do the same journey every day to work, I presume others on the road are doing the same. 6:30 am. I use the left hand, empty lane, others don't, because, I think, it's marked as a bus lane AFTER 07:00! There are some new roadworks appeared, with a big blue Left Arrow. Motorists head for the sign and turn left into the left lane when the at the arrow, why? The bus lane is not in force.
Bus lanes - L'escargot
.......... why? ............

There's nowt so queer as folk.
Bus lanes - b308
Shhh! Don't tell everyone or they'll all start using it and it'll get crowded... its nice having a lane to yourself!!
Bus lanes - jc2
We've got one in our town;even the police don't go in it-I suppose it saves them having to look at the clock.
Bus lanes - Ben 10
Bus lane times are confusing as they all vary when they are in operation. Unless you are familiar with a particular lane, it is possible to get caught out.
Couple of years ago I suggested that a simple system of red and green LEDs be used at regular intervals along bus lanes. Red when in operation;green when any motorist could use.Lights changing at the times set for that bus lane. I was not suggesting traffic light size but a small but bright pair of lights. These could be charged with the new solar panel type mounted pillars.
It would mean everyone knew where they stood. No confusion, and allowing full use of the roadways at appropriate times.

Edited by scribe on 27/01/2009 at 08:58

Bus lanes - boxsterboy
It would mean everyone knew where they stood. No confusion and allowing full use of
the roadways at appropriate times.

Indeed, but fewer fines for the authorities. That's the big flaw in your plan.
Bus lanes - BorisTheSpider
It is actually assessed as part of the driving and motorcycle test, as you are expected to use it if it is safe to do so. Thankfully the only stretches that are part of the test routes around Middlesbrough are only in operation when testing isn't. I much prefer the "No Car Lanes" sprouting up in Durham and Newcastle, no times are set. But it does mean it?s a jumble of Cyclists Motorbikes, Buses, Taxis, Vans, and anyone else not fitting into the car box.
Bus lanes - madux
I've been stuck behind buses in Swindon doing 30 in a 40 - but not in the bus lane!
Bus lanes - DP
The A30 through Camberley is exactly the same. I've been tooted at (and on one occasion blocked) by other drivers for having the audacity to be able to read a road sign.

Bus lanes - FotheringtonThomas
They haven't read the sign that specifies hours of operation.
Bus lanes - Rattle
In some circumstances it is entirely possible to fail your driving test for not going in the bus lane when it is not in use.
Bus lanes - BorisTheSpider
Section 23 of the dring test
Positioning - Lane Discipline
I think its one of those things that'll push you over the limit on minors.
Bus lanes - Mick Snutz
What if you bought an old bus and used it as your personal everyday transport then drove in the bus lane during operating hours. Could you still get fined?
Bus lanes - Rattle
Yep because its a private vehicle :). In reality however they probably would not know and the 8mph of a bus is not really attractive.
Bus lanes - Alby Back
Wasn't there someone famous ( I want to say Stephen Fry for some reason ) who had an old London black cab which he then drove in the bus lanes without being challenged ?

Might be complete rubbish of course.
Bus lanes - jc2
Not only are people blind in bus-lanes;at one time I used the Gloucester by-pass regularly and at one set of traffic lights,all the vehicles queued in the left hand lane.I regularly used the right-turn lane because as well as a right turn arrow,there was also an "ahead" arrow painted on the road.Horns were blown,headlights were flashed.
Bus lanes - 1400ted
We have a bus lane here, not a long one, which 90% of cars ignore, out of hours and prefer to drive in the right hand lane, closer to the oncoming traffic. If, during 'bus' times, a vehicle is stuck in the right hand lane waiting to turn right....is it illegal to 'undertake' him using the bus lane breifly and then return to the right ? I would imagine it's an offence, so a backlog of traffic will occur even if there are no buses in sight....senseless waste of road space !
Ted
Bus lanes - doctorchris
We have bus lanes in Sunderland that are, more or less, no-car lanes.
Particularly on the A690 Durham Rd. these lanes are empty of any vehicles and simply slow down the flow of traffic. Back in the time of trams, these ran on the central reservation of this road so why this cannot be re-enacted for bus lanes, I have no idea.
I have a question regarding bus lanes. They are partitioned off with a solid white line, which should not be crossed. However, when van and taxi drivers are permitted to use bus lanes, they are quite happy to "undertake" at well above the speed limit, then cross the solid white line to turn right as required.
They seem to consistently get away with their abuse of speed and the bus lanes.
We, law abiding drivers become increasingly frustrated by this behaviour.
As Ted says, senseless use of road space to try to force us onto public transport that does not provide the service required.
Bus lanes - Ravenger
As I've suggested before, we should standardise the colour coding of bus lanes and only have a two or three different types, e.g. Red for 24/7, Green for peak hours only.

Then it'd be obvious what the bus lane times are without having to read tiny lettering on a sign that's mixed in with all the other roadside clutter.

I know some people are colour blind which would mean we'd still need additional signage, but it's still a good idea in my opinion as the majority of drivers would benefit.
Bus lanes - Al Sithi
If car drivers do not have the ability to read a sign stating the times a bus lane is in use, how can you believe they will have the ability to work out different colours for different times?
Bus lanes - Bromptonaut
Just the same in Northampton. Lane past the Saints ground going west effective 16:00 to 18:00 completely ignored at 18:30 - even when traffic worse than usual due M1 closure .
Bus lanes - Harleyman
A48 into Newport from M4 west likewise. I drive my truck down there most Fridays about 10.30 am (bus lane is 7-10) and have even had car drivers shout at me that I'm in the wrong lane. I think it was something to do with the fact that I was making better progress in a 26-ton truck!
Bus lanes - bathtub tom
I do an occasional run from the A1 to Streatham at weekends. I love using the bus lanes along Brixton road and around Swiss Cottage. I'm aware of the 24/7 restriction by the Oval, and Maida Vale needs careful sign reading. An alert 'spotter' in the passenger seat helps.
Bus lanes - Bilboman
In an ideal world, of course, an "intelligent" SatNav would be able to direct the driver (by voice, rather than distracting screen) when to use the time-restricted bus lane, by combining an accurate clock with accurate positioning and up-to-date street plans.
Barcelona has the feature mentioned a few threads back - lines of flashing yellow LEDs to indicate when the lane is in operation.
No good for catching out and fining motorists and swelling the appropriate coffers, of course....
Sigh.
Bus lanes - LondonBus
Wasn't there someone famous ( I want to say Stephen Fry for some reason ) who had an old London black cab which he then drove in the bus lanes without being challenged ?

Might be complete rubbish of course

If Stephen Fry had a taxi licence then he could drive in a bus lane which permits taxis. Otherwise no.
Bus lanes - Hamsafar
Yes he did, it was on TV years ago.

Edited by Hamsafar on 05/02/2009 at 23:37