Spare Keys for Honda - helicopter
Quick question for any Honda Accord owners out there or locksmith types.

I have a 54 model executive which only came with one electronic key and no manual.

I had a new non electronic key cut today as a safeguard by a local autolocksmith who visited my local garage . The new key is just to open the car and start the engine in case the other one is lost

The new key works fine but when I went to unlock the car with the new key having locked it with the electronic key it set the alarm off.

The solution according to the garage appears to be to lock the car manually with the central locking key. Can I also set the alarm manually with the electronic key and be able to open the car with the second key without setting alarm off?

Spare Keys for Honda - David Horn
Think this is normal behaviour for any car... sorry.
Spare Keys for Honda - L'escargot
Think this is normal behaviour for any car...

It didn't happen on my 1999 Focus which had a factory fitted allarm.
Spare Keys for Honda - Bill Payer
Can I also set the alarm manually with the electronic key
and be able to open the car with the second key without setting alarm off?

Sorry if you realise this already, putting the key in the ignition should stop the alarm.

As pointed out already, this is normal on many cars.

Edited by Bill Payer on 21/01/2009 at 16:25

Spare Keys for Honda - Pendlebury
I'm a little puzzled by your post helicopter because according to the manual your new key should not be able to start the car as it will not have the electronics to disable the immobiliser - you might stop the alarm but according to the manual you can't start the car so I don't really see the value in having it ????????????
Spare Keys for Honda - helicopter
This is why I asked the question Pendlebury.Its very strange but I have not got the manual to check it out..

I wanted a basic spare key so I paid £50 for this one via the local autolocksmith so I could get into the car in the event of losing the main key .

I was working on the basis that in an emergency , ie if I lost the main key I could at least still get into the car and eventually be able to get a new full code key sorted out without having to resort to breaking in.

The full remote one costs at Honda agents an unbelievable £169 + VAT so I didn't want to fork out that sort of money . ( I've bought whole cars with a years MOT for less than that.....)

According to my Honda agent and also according to what you say it says in the manual, I should not be able to start the Accord with the second key - but I can.

Generally it looks as though the new key is coded to start the car but cannot switch off the alarm when it has been set remotely with the main key.

Or is there another way of turning the alarm off ( short of ripping out of wires.....) and / or turning it on manually.

The second key does definitely open and start the car if I use the remote key and press the button once.

Spare Keys for Honda - Pendlebury
Oh - I understand now - but I am unfortunately even more puzzled as to how to help.
I will have a think and ask a few questions of people who I think might help.
We have a couple of blokes in the office with cardigans and sandles - they usually sort this type of stuff out.
Spare Keys for Honda - Falkirk Bairn
We have a couple of blokes in the office with cardigans and sandles - they
usually sort this type of stuff out.

The couple might have cardigans, might not have the answer to the key issue BUT they will be able to spell sandals correctly
Spare Keys for Honda - Manatee
While we're on the subject I'll add this - the 2006MY CRV immobiliser, and therefore probably many other Hondas, can only have two keys coded to it. I had two keys, each with a transponder for the alarm. I paid the dealer something silly like £65 for a spare key and coding (no transponder, just the immobiliser function) as my wife keeps one of the transponder keys.

It worked fine. Only when I swapped keys with my wife to even out battery life did I discover that her key would no longer start the car. When I had that key coded, it displaced the new spare key which now won't start the car. The dealer says there is no way round this.
Spare Keys for Honda - Alexander_thompson

You might need to programm the fob. This particular website here was quite useful to me concerning that: http://autokeysquad.co.uk/honda-fob-programming

Hope this helps