How good an indicator is mileage of condition ? - Alby Back
The used car market has reflected for many years that more miles = more depreciation.

Take two otherwise identical five year old cars for example. One has 50k miles, has been driven properly, has a full service history, one private owner and is in good condition. It has, however, been used mainly for domestic and commuting short run purposes primarily in heavy traffic.

The other car has 150k miles, has been driven properly, has a full service history, one company owner and is also in good condition. It, conversely, has spent most of its life on the motorway.

The first car would attract a much higher price than the second.

But would it be worth it........?
How good an indicator is mileage of condition ? - mss1tw
If the company one still had a tidy interior without collapsed seats etc and a driver that hasn't caned it for 150k I'd go for that
How good an indicator is mileage of condition ? - FotheringtonThomas
It depends on how much different a "much greater price" is.
How good an indicator is mileage of condition ? - oldnotbold
The low mileage one might have been used extensively on the school run, have seat covers stained with Ribena, sticky sweets ground into the carpets and the seat backs well and truly worn by bored feet.

It does depend on the car - even now some have well-documented issues at higher miles.
How good an indicator is mileage of condition ? - madf
I researched this thoroughly on Lexus LS400 as all or most have done more than 150k miles.
The following is an extract oof issues:
suspension bushes front and rear can and will wear. If not replaced, noise, creaks and poor steering.

(Cost to repair a wheel DIY £100, Lexus £250 plus)
Cambelt replacement.
Aircon ? bits fail.
Radiators fail.
Tyres.
Exhausts
Shock absorbers.
Instruments.

If you are pernickety and the prior ownere has NOT fixed everything to 100% perfect you could look at bills of up to £2k for repairs which add no value to cars.

So a detailed servcie history is essential imo or a very careful inspection and a cheap price.

I prefer low mileage well maintained cars...
How good an indicator is mileage of condition ? - FotheringtonThomas
The OP said it was in good condition, etc. See OP.
How good an indicator is mileage of condition ? - ole cruiser
One has 50k miles has been driven properly has a full service history one private owner and is in good condition. It has however been used mainly for domestic and commuting short run purposes primarily in heavy traffic. The other car has 150k miles has been driven properly has a full service history one company owner and is also in good condition. It conversely has spent most of its life on the motorway. >>

But how do you know all these things about a 5-year old car? What's to say the first one wasn't someone's pampered pet and the second a London taxi?
I think the 50,000 and 100,000 mile points are still symbolic watersheds for many people (like me) and perhaps also for e.g. Warranty Direct/manufacturers' goodwill), and actually I've been surprised by how small the mileage adjustments are on book values.
How good an indicator is mileage of condition ? - Pendlebury
Trust me you would not want to buy my wife's car after 1 year and 10K so I guess mileage is not that good an indicator. I believe HJ has been saying that for years. Joking apart we are a bit obsessed with mileage - I know it is AN indicator but I read about allot of Hondas and Subarus that do 300K-500K but are fine as they have frequent oil changes.

I bet the VW boys will be along soon to tell us that they get the same durability with long life servicing. :-)
How good an indicator is mileage of condition ? - ifithelps
I bet the VW boys will be along soon

We will certainly hear them coming given the racket made by those supposedly modern VW diesels.

How good an indicator is mileage of condition ? - v8man
What racket? My wife's Passat 1.9 Tdi is on 149,000 miles on the variable service interval.

I do get fed up with the anti-VW contingent on here banging on about noisy engines. The car is no more or less noisy than any other diesel, certainly not from the drivers seat and that is all that matters IMHO.

If a car has genuinely done 150K on the motorway then the engine is indeed very likely to be in better condition than a low mileage short trip motor that has never been up to optimum operating temperature for very long.
How good an indicator is mileage of condition ? - mss1tw
I quite liked the noise of my old-tech 1.9 110 Toledo.

Shame about the water feature. The cress in the footwell did make it carbon neutral, though.

Edited by mss1tw on 20/01/2009 at 18:55

How good an indicator is mileage of condition ? - ifithelps
...What racket?...

Test drove a Golf diesel a year or so ago and that was noisier than my Focus diesel.

Never been in a (moving) Passat, so I'll take your word on that.
How good an indicator is mileage of condition ? - ole cruiser
The car is no more or less noisy than any other diesel certainly not from the drivers seat and that is all that matters IMHO.>>

Thanks a lot, v8man. So I'm supposed not to mind when my next-door neighbour starts up his wretched Passat and leaves it to warm up?
(Not knocking VW particularly. When I hired a MB E-class diesel in Germany a couple of years ago, I actually found it rather spooky the way it sounded like a different car - or van - when you opened the window.)
>>Thanks a lot, v8man. So I'm supposed not to mind when my next-door neighbour starts up his wretched Passat and leaves it to warm up?

I can assure you my next door neighbours ancient P reg Vauxhall Calbra is a damn site noisier first thing!
Just to be clear. The two cars in the original scenario don't exist. They are purely hypothetical. I am just interested in opening a discussion on people's attitude to mileage as a specific value indicator. Therefore, for the purposes of the discussion I was asking that we assume that both cars have been properly maintained and are visually at least, indistinguishable.

However, for the fun of it, let's put some numbers in, let's suppose the 50k car was valued at a forecourt price of say, £7000. What do we think the high mileage one would be priced at? And, given current circs, what prices do we think we could actually do the deals at?
How good an indicator is mileage of condition ? - Pendlebury
The car is no more or less noisy than any other diesel,

I'm guessing v8 you have never heard a BMW or Honda diesel ?
How good an indicator is mileage of condition ? - bbroomlea{P}
>>What racket? My wife's Passat 1.9 Tdi is on 149,000 miles on the variable service interval

My A4 TDi is also on 149000 miles on longlife servicing - so far it burns no oil, makes no extra noises that it shouldnt and continues to be reliable. My mpg is no better than mid to low 40s at the moment though which needs some more investigating - sticking brake/handbrake problem re-occuring I think.

I think I would rather have a slightly noisier diesel when the windows are down with proven reliability rather than a commonrail thing that chews through dual mass flywheels and blocked up particulate filters! - My next car is going to be petrol if I dont go for another VAG PD.
How good an indicator is mileage of condition ? - Altea Ego
I think I would rather have a slightly noisier diesel when the windows are down
with proven reliability rather than a commonrail thing that chews through dual mass flywheels and
blocked up particulate filters! - My next car is going to be petrol if I
dont go for another VAG PD.

VAG diesels are fitted with, and chew up DMF's

Oh and they are now fitted with, and block up particulate filters.
>>VAG diesels are fitted with, and chew up DMF's
>>Oh and they are now fitted with, and block up particulate filters.

Your riight! Should have said I wont be buying a PD one of those either - my Dad has a 2.0 TDi 170 and has had sporadic mis-fire problems despite doing 25K pa and my next door neighbour has a Passat 2.0Tdi 140 that has let him down 3 times since it was delivered 18 months ago due to the engine cutting out on motorways.

My mileage has dropped to less than 15K pa now so will be getting a nice V6 of some sort whilst I still can :-))
How good an indicator is mileage of condition ? - Altea Ego
I do get fed up with the anti-VW contingent on here banging on about noisy
engines. The car is no more or less noisy than any other diesel certainly not
from the drivers seat and that is all that matters IMHO.

Your deaf.

oh BTW I am a VW driver - I am allowed to comment.
Ok - I'll try answering my own question then....;-)

Let us suppose that the high mileage car can be obtained for approximately half the price of the average mileage one.

What is your money buying with the higher priced car ?

Twice as much reliability ?
Twice as much usefulness ?
Half the risk ?
Considerably more depreciation exposure ?

Or....none of the above ?
>>I'm guessing v8 you have never heard a BMW or Honda diesel ?

On the contrary, I have driven many miles in 320d. From the inside there is nothing in it IMHO.

My current car is Jetta 2.0 140 sport and the engine is drowned out by the roar of the low profile tyres, something I noticed while driving the Beemer as well.
>>Your deaf.

oh BTW I am a VW driver - I am allowed to comment.

Pardon?
Er - Hello ?? Anybody there ??

;-)
If presented with two cars in the same condition visually but one with 100K more and half the price, I would go for the higher mileage one, providing it had a service history to back everything up and it checked out ok.

Not only is the cost to buy less, the depreciation is less on a higher mileage car as its already lost more! I bought a Rover 75 for very little a few years ago as it had 185,000 miles on it - two years and 45,000 miles later I traded it in for slightly more than I paid for it - total expenditure on servicing and replacing parts cost less than £500 a year as well - cheap motoring!!

My A4 is going the same way - bought with 110,000 two years ago and is worth about £2k less now at 150,000 miles. Its still in great shape - no signs of the mileage other than the figures on the odo and again has cost me less than £500 a year which includes servicing/two sets of tyres etc.

Contrast that to my wifes low mileage MINI that had loads of problems and sold 12 months later with a 3K loss and her new GPunto that is 2 months old and I dread to think what that is worth today!

Cost wise, bought correctly a higher mileage car is good value IMO.
How good an indicator is mileage of condition ? - jag
the noisiest diesel in our street is a jaguar. there are various vauxhalls, bmw, toyota, vag,peugot. jag ( 1.9pd bora)
How good an indicator is mileage of condition ? - Toyota Red
I'd probably take the 150k miles one, at a £1000 discount.

However, it's impossible to verify (although if only 5 years old, 30k a year would not be pleasant on anything but motorways).

Having said that, I did buy a 11 year old car with 54k on the clock this year..(It drives like new..). The history is probably the most important thing. With a full history, most cars will be ok.
How good an indicator is mileage of condition ? - M.M
A well maintained 150k car properly used will obviously have more wear in many areas than a well maintained properly used 50k car. It's not just the engine which we tend to focus on but every bearing and pivot etc on the car. Greater wear on interior trim and more times through the car wash can also be an issue on the high miler giving rise to a rounded off at the edges look.

Having said that the actual risk of a breakdown is probably not a huge amount more with the high mileage as long as maintainence is kept up.

Over the decades we have been happy to buy and run loads of high milers saving loads in depreciation and apart from one worn out Citroen BX at over 240k they've all been fine and given us the chance to buy newer/better cars than we'd otherwise have at a particular price point.

If you're buying they need to be cheap to give a bit in the bank just in case. On a £7k car I'd expect to pay £1500 or more less for the added 100k.

David

How good an indicator is mileage of condition ? - welshlad
i brought a car a while back it looked good had a low mileage it seemed a really good bargain 6 months later it cost me £250 for welding it wasnt a lemon it just wasnt something a roadside visual inspection would pick up.

if your buying a used car i think a bit of extra expense on a trained evaluation is worth more then taking a chance on a bargain based on only one specific aspect of a vehicle
How good an indicator is mileage of condition ? - DP
My current car has almost 140k on the clock, and apart from a couple of parking dents, looks pretty much like new. I still pile 500 miles a week on it most weeks, and it's fine. Rarely done a short journey in its life, maintained to schedule, and feels very fit for it. I suspect a 60,000 mile example of the same car that's been treated poorly, andskipped a few services wouldn't drive anywhere near as well, or be as reliable.

There are many examples of my car, and its mechanically identical estate sibling which have racked up 250+k on original engines and gearboxes and continue to be reliable and perfectly useable daily drivers.

When that sixth digit on the odometer has lit up or rolled over, nobody wants it. Long may it continue!

Edited by DP on 20/01/2009 at 22:20

How good an indicator is mileage of condition ? - gordonbennet
Can't put a hard and fast rule on this low mileage value thing, as a used car is a completely individual thing, no 2 cars will be alike after 50K let alone 150K.

Regardless of the servicing schedule being adhered to, there are so may variables in the use the car will have had, the driving standards, the mechanical sympathy, the care and attention, the type of roads, the times of year, and the quality of servicing all add up.

Some cars will be ready for the tip at 50K, others will be fine and dandy at 150K.
You can only judge any car you want to buy on what you can see of the vehicle, backed up by whatever evidence is presented, which must be carefully weighed against what you feel about the whole thing.
How may times have you found that perfect vehicle with the correct history etc, but something just doesn't fit.
We almost bought a 2 year old 20K miler Amazon from a Toyo dealer with full Toyo used car back up, the steering wheel wasn't straight ahead and one new tyre had been fitted to the rear which led me to believe the front n/s had taken a whack against something hard, Landcruisers do not bend easy and the air susp was sluggish, they fixed the suspension by topping the oil up..full service history?
(The sales person didn't think the 10 to 2 steering wheel was out of the ordinary, i hope he doesn't try for a job on the Amazon production line, Mr Toyota may have something to say...)
Everything else was fine, but thats just an example of when something doesn't add up.

I too prefer lower mileage vehicles and with the correct documentation and condition i am prepared to pay a hefty price difference for them.

I think the type or spec of car makes a big difference here, if you go to buy a GTI or Turbo'd wide wheeled jobbie, do not expect the first owners to be as considerate as the mature couple who owned the 1.9 auto diesel saloon in bottle green with tan leather, and full original overmats.
How good an indicator is mileage of condition ? - grumpyscot
Other half has a Mk 1 CRV - 104,000 miles. Bodywork is as new, only the alloys needs some work to bring them up to equivalent condition of body. Seats are perfect - no signs of wear. Hasn't needed anything done to pass the last 4 MOTs. Other than regular oil changes, a new set of tyres, and a new exhaust, the car has been otherwise neglected.

It's got an auto box - and I would argue that with an auto, it's a lot more difficult to thrash, as the auto box simply won't let you!

Neighbour has a 3 year old Megane - never out of the workshop, seats are threadbare down the RHS of driver's seat, done 15,000 miles to the local shops and back. I wuoldn't touch it with a barge pole, but I'll hang on to the CRV though!

How good an indicator is mileage of condition ? - L'escargot
Take two otherwise identical five year old cars for example. One has 50k miles has
been driven properly has a full service history one private owner and is in good
condition. It has however been used mainly for domestic and commuting short run purposes primarily
in heavy traffic.

10,000 miles per year is unlikely to be "short run" journeys in heavy traffic.

How good an indicator is mileage of condition ? - Cliff Pope
It's an excellent indicator. A high mileage car with a proper service history will probably be in much better condition, and for some insane reason cheaper too. Also it will last longer.

Many years ago in the old Back Room I rather recklessly said that the second owner could reasonably expect to double whatever mileage the first owner had done. My Volvo was new then (to me) with only 200,000 miles, so I was rather sticking my neck out.
Ten years later it's just passed 410,000 miles.

Everything lasts longer if all the car does is hammer down motorways clocking up vast mileages. Steering, clutch, gearbox, engine, suspension all have hardly anything to do.
Contrast that with a car that spends all its time running cold, in traffic, going over speed humps.
How good an indicator is mileage of condition ? - ForumNeedsModerating
Everything lasts longer if all the car does is hammer down motorways clocking up vast mileages. Steering, clutch, gearbox, engine, suspension all have hardly anything to do.
Contrast that with a car that spends all its time running cold, in traffic, going over speed humps

Yes - but how do you know that the high mielage car doesn't do 'the shops, short runs from cold, speed bumps' as well? I'm sure even people who do lots of notorway miles have wives, families, children & need to shop.

Not convinced by the arguments presented here about this. Wishful thinking wrapped up in urban myth methinks.
How good an indicator is mileage of condition ? - M.M
Cliff that is an unfair comparison to take the best possible operating conditions for the high miler and assume the worse for the low miler. The reality is usually somewhere in between.

In our rural area there are many high milers than never see the motorway... they spend all day crashing about the bumpy Fen roads and local towns to the detriment of every part of the running gear.

My own Mondeo is about to pass 100k and is a very useable and tidy car with no major issues... but please don't tell me if it had a genuine 45k it would be a lesser car.

David
In our rural area there are many high milers than never see the motorway... they
spend all day crashing about the bumpy Fen roads and local towns to the detriment
of every part of the running gear.

Yep. That's me. However, if there's nobody about (which is quite often in our neck of the woods) I drive in the middle of the road to avoid where the edges have been roughly repaired.
How good an indicator is mileage of condition ? - Cliff Pope
Cliff that is an unfair comparison to take the best possible operating conditions for the
high miler and assume the worse for the low miler. The reality is usually somewhere
in between.

>>>>

I know, I am being deliberately a bit tongue in cheek. I am taking the perhaps a dozen examples I know of mega-milers and assuming those circumstances apply to all.

But you can weed out some of the obvious minus factors. Second car, children of school age, little old lady, dogs, etc.
On the plus side - sales manager, rep, country cottage owner, etc.
........ little old lady ........

What about big old ladies, little old men and big old men ?
;-)
How good an indicator is mileage of condition ? - Mapmaker
I have just bought - from a small-time dealer - a (1 week under) 3 year old car, a fully loaded, top of the range jobby. It has done 105k, and shows not one mile of it; FMain dealerSH, absolutely pristine save for a tiny trolley ding on a door. It cost me 55% of the nearest advertised price for a similar car but with 60k and 48% of one with 50k, and cost me mid-range of what Glasses claims as trade-in price.

I am very happy indeed. AE I hope you are reading this thread.

I was expecting to buy a 7-9 year old version, but as they seem to trade at a more "sensible" price (as 100k is the anticipated mileage for a car of that age) it was going to cost me half as much as my version - for the previous model, and 2/3 times as old.

In answer to HB OP, how good an indicator? Well, if one is to draw a parallel, then the average high-miler must be poorer than the average low-miler. But a car that has managed 35k per annum HAS to have done most of it on motorways, and provided the driver isn't 16 stone...

Edited by Mapmaker on 21/01/2009 at 12:15

How good an indicator is mileage of condition ? - captain chaos
I always used to go for low mileage main dealer FSH cars myself but higher mileages are fine as long as they have been well cared for, and the door mirrors and front end don't look like the car has been on a rifle range from debris thrown up from the car in front on the daily 90mph outside lane commute. I also check the winscreen for pitting as a dealer may blow over stone chip damage but won't replace the screen. I also check the tyres...premium brand with even wear or pick and mix budget tyres? Just shows care of ownership IMHO
How good an indicator is mileage of condition ? - Andrew-T
You got a bargain, Mapmaker - in the sense that you got what you wanted, for less than you expected to pay. But surely, in a free market the price of a second-hand article reflects the public perception of (a) the item's desirability (b) how much life is left in it, and (c) how much may have to be spent on maintenance. That is why there is a fairly predictable correlation between price and miles on the clock. A buyer who is not instantly repelled by a car which has adapted to the driving (and possibly other) habits of an unknown person(s) for probably 2500 hours can well find some excellent bargains, based on their own experienced judgment.
>>A buyer who is not instantly repelled by a car which has adapted to the driving (and
>>possibly other) habits of an unknown person(s) for probably 2500 hours can well find
>>some excellent bargains, based on their own experienced judgment.

I can understand the desire to buy a brand new car because it is brand new. (There are many aspects of this desire I cannot understand, but...)

I cannot understand why it is so much more preferable to buy a car that has done 50k rather than 100k. 1,250 hours opposed to 2,500.

How good an indicator is mileage of condition ? - Andrew-T
>That is why there is a fairly predictable correlation between price and miles ...

and of course the other (perhaps more important) reason is that those in the trade use the guide prices in Glass's, which has a mileage/price adjustment, as we all know. Until a different formula is invented the situation will continue.
How good an indicator is mileage of condition ? - quizman
I sold my mother's Focus 1,6 auto when it was 7 years old and had done 8000 miles. She drove very slowly and most of the trips were less than 2 miles, to the local shop and back. The oil was changed once a year with Castrol Magnatec 5W-30.

The person who bought it 2 years ago still has it and is very pleased with it. Give me low mileage any day to a car with over 100,000 miles on it.
The person who bought it 2 years ago still has it and is very pleased
with it. Give me low mileage any day to a car with over 100 000
miles on it.

Fine, and certainly.

BUT, is it worth paying twice as much for a 50k car than for a 100k car.

If you reckon that the car is worth it for 200k, then the price differential between 50 and 100 should be much smaller. In reality, whatever Glass's says, a punter won't buy a 100k 3-year old car - because people who buy 3-year old cars don't buy 100k milers.

And in the current market, that makes for a major bargain.

How good an indicator is mileage of condition ? - spikeyhead {p}
In reality whatever Glass's says a punter
won't buy a 100k 3-year old car - because people who buy 3-year old cars
don't buy 100k milers.

I buy most of my ordinary cars at three years old with around 100k miles. Makes for cheap reliable motoring.

I'm also in the market for an Ariel Atom, however I doubt I'll find one with that milage.
10 000 miles per year is unlikely to be "short run" journeys in heavy traffic.

Oh but it is. I can guarantee it unequivocally. I invented this car. It is purely a figment of my imagination. How dare you question its provenance !

;-)
How good an indicator is mileage of condition ? - Pizza man
Just to throw a spanner in the works i do 36k a year but it is around town driving usually trips of about 6-10 miles at most with lots of turning the engine on and off :) I deliver pizza for dominos if you couldn't guess from my name :)

I currently own 3 cars Lexus LS400 with 210k on the clock (only use this for deliveries when i feel silly lol) Ford escort 1.8 Si (a complete nail i'm putting on the bay next week) and a seat arosa 1.0 MPi with 105k on the clock and missing door cards i won off ebay last night for £361 which i'm hoping will be better then the escort.
36k a year delivering pizzas - or indeed minicabbing.

Some components will wear, but others won't.

I'm sure the engine & exhaust will be delighted to be up at operating temperature the whole time.

I'm sure the clutch & suspension will suffer with your speed bumps.
How good an indicator is mileage of condition ? - Pizza man
"I'm sure the clutch & suspension will suffer with your speed bumps."

hopefully the arosa will fit between them like my old panda did.
How good an indicator is mileage of condition ? - adverse camber
I think this question is related to the under/over valued brands one.

The essential point is can we identify a car which the general market is mispricing due to gap between the reality and the perception.

Higher mileage cars used to come in at a must bigger discount that they seem to at the moment. Hence I used to buy them. The actual reliability of the vehicle was not as badly affected by the miles as people thought. Especially premium vehicles with huge miles.

As the general perception has caught up with this, prices have risen and I am no longer convinced that they are bargains.