02 2.0 failure for engine to start - ronniethomas
The car is a zetec diesel estate. The car was working satisfactotily when parked overnight. The following morning the car would not start and showed no response when the engine was turning over (the battery is in good order).
We have had a couple of small garages trying to start the car and they have spent many hours testing and adjustments. They have even tried new injectors to no effect.
Have you any advise as to what the problem might be?

Also is there any way that a layman, with many years of experience of earlier petrol engines, can:
1) Test that the injectors are passing fuel, and
2) Check the compression of the cylinders.

I have a pressure test gauge which I have used on petrol engines through the spark plugs.

Regars
ronniethomas
02 2.0 failure for engine to start - Peter D
I assume they have tried to start the car with quick start with out effect. A Noid Light fitted to an injector will indicate the injector is being told to fire. If the Immobiliser has failed or the crank/cam position sensor has failed then the Injectors will not fire. The other thing to check is a jump start as this does not use the started and something in the system may have failed and is picking up the starter motor current spikes and fooling the ECU. Of course this could be an ECU failure. Wiithout knowing what the gargages have done then it is difficult to check. Did they come to you or did they take the car away. What diagnostic kit did they have with them. Regards Peter