02 2.2 seems like battery is flat - swalesrep
Went to start the car and I would have sworn the battery is flat. Put jump leads on and it was still the same. Now when the ignition is on there is a brrrrrrr sound coming out of a box mounted on top of the engine. (it has two magenta coloured relays? in there). Engine management lights have been on and off a lot recently but the car has been fine. Is it possible I could start it with a push? It is a manual shift. Hope someone may have an idea about this. Dave.
02 2.2 seems like battery is flat - TheOilBurner
Which lights exactly have been coming off and when?

Are you sure you've got fuel, even if the fuel gauge says yes, it could be faulty.

You really need to get the codes read, TBH. However, I'm thinking possible fuel pump failure, especially given your description of where the sound is coming from.
Thanks Oilburner. Yes I put fuel in the day before. Lights were: engine symbol/car with spanner/TC as far as I remember. brrr noise is coming from one of the relays (nearest windscreen) when I turn key it sounds like the starter wants to turn but the power just drops right off, even when on jump leads.
02 2.2 seems like battery is flat - steve_earwig
Sounds like my diesel when the battery died - buzzing relays. I suspect you have a loose connection there somewhere, maybe the engine earth.

If this is the case then bump starting it may get it running but it could fry your alternator.
Thanks Steve. I don't know whether earth is + or - I assume that an earth could be made with a jump lead to bare metal? once I know which to go for.
02 2.2 seems like battery is flat - steve_earwig
Earth is the -ve terminal. If you're going to do that then try to get it somewhere near the starter motor (preferably on it) and just check that it turns over, don't try to run it like that.

Thanks everyone. Been away for a while, got back and called a mobile mechanic. It was a dead battery. Odd it wouldn't turn over jump starting from two different motors. Could have been worse and I am glad it's running fine now except, you guessed it. The radio codes gone.
02 2.2 seems like battery is flat - kiss (keep it simple)
Were you using nice hefty jump leads? If the battery is totally flat then cheap leads are useless and you will never get started.