1999 1.8 warning lights/ electrical fault - jcg
Hi
I have a few warning lights suddenly on my dash..the battery came on plus the electrics one and so I had both battery and the alternator tested. Alternator fine, battery a bit low, so changed that.
No difference. Lights still on and now the radio/CD is in 'safe' mode. I am loathe to go to the Vauxhall garage to sort this. Can anyone shed any light for me please? I am trying not to be a typical female driver lol ;-)
1999 1.8 warning lights/ electrical fault - Dynamic Dave
Which light(s) is/are still on? Can you describe what they look like.

The stereo needs a 4 digit security code entering. Have you got the "Car Pass" for the car? If so, it'll be written down on there. If not, then you can obtain a replacement from Vauxhall for something like £15 to £20.

As for entering the code:-

Turn Off Stereo
Switch On Ignition (No Need To Start Engine)
Press & Hold Preset " AS " and Switch Radio On - Display Shows " SAFE " And Then Shows " 10 - - - - "
Press preset " 1 " repeatedly for 1st Digit
Press preset " 2 " repeatedly for 2nd Digit
Press preset " 3 " repeatedly for 3rd Digit
Press preset " 4 " repeatedly for 4th Digit
If the correct code number is now shown Press & Hold Preset " AS " Until the Unit Beeps

If it has a separate CD player, then that has a separate code, and a slightly different method of entering the code.
Thank you. Yes I have an integrated CD/radio and I have the code I just didnt know how to enter it until you said. Great.
As for the warning lights - I have the battery one and the electrical one (with the lightening through it) on.
I had it at a garage this morning and know the alternator is fine and now a brabd new battery. He suggested it might be a short in the electrics but I am just concerned to drive like that.
The 2002 handbook I have doesn't show the light with the lightening through it. It only shows the car/spanner light (engine electronics & immobiliser fault light) and the engine block (which is the emissions fault light). From vague memory though the light you describe is the engine electronics light on earlier Vauxhalls.

Best bet is to get the fault code(s) read out and go from there.

I take it the garage checked the battery was being charged?
1999 1.8 warning lights/ electrical fault - elekie&a/c doctor
I would suggest that the charging circuit be given another test,especially with the engine at around 2000 rpm.It is possible that the alternator is overcharging,putting excess voltage into the battery.hth
Thank you..yes I will suggest that - I wsnt sure if it was to do with alternative belt?
Either way i am not happy driving with warning lights on lol.
Dave, yes it's that light you mentioned. I will get it tested then. Makes sense - yes the garage did test the new battery.
thanks again... btw I did get the stereo wowking again at least! :)
If the alternator isn't charging the battery, then generally the first thing to stop working is the power steering (electrically powered pump, rather than a belt driven pump).
Dave,
powersteering is fine so far - i did notice that when those warning lights come on (after about 2 mins of driving) that i can hear the fan going.. dont normally hear that - thought i would mention that in case it makes a difference.
Appreciate all your input :)
dave I dont know if you will pick this up but i wasnt quite right with the details! (having a blonde monent even tho I am not lol)

the fault lights are the coolant system and the engine management system. The battery one isnt on.
As i said, i now hear the radiator fan come on even when just idling and not even on the move..this never used to happen until the engine was warm. I have water in the coolant bowl..not sure what to think.
Do you think it's just cos an error code needs clearing?
Do you think it's just cos an error code needs clearing?

The fault light will go out once the problem has been rectified. However, the error codes will remain in the ecu memory for a little while, then self delete.

If the light is still on, then there is still a fault present. Really needs hooking up to a fault code diagnostic reader to find out what is still putting it on.

Not sure if you have a handbook - if not, then this is what it says about the coolant fault light:- A fault has occurred in the engine cooling system or the cooling circuit of the air conditioning. Driving may be continued. Check coolant level. We recommend that you consult your Vauxhall Approved Repairer.

As you've checked the coolant level, then there *may* well be a fault with the air con instead.
Dave, yes I read that in the hand book.
I must admit my air con doesnt work cos i didnt use it regularly enough...didnt think it was an essential. I will have it hooked up on thurs and see what it shows.
thanks again.