2005 1.6 coolant fan & FAP issues - 307nPray
i read with interest, or maybe it's fear, all the FAP issues relating to 307's.
no warning lights yet for me... 6 weeks after purchasing a 307 1.6 (110) HDI 54... and long may it stay so .... :-)

but... i have noticed the regular fan run-on when switching off the engine.
From what been said in various threads this is probaly linked to FAP regen cooling.
Firstly could anyone confirm the 'HZC' in my VIN sentences me to this potential 'minefield' of expensive problems?
secondly the fan (general coolant type, i presume?) seems to be on and off, on a regular basis, both with the engine on and off, long and short trips. Is that normal... what sort of frequency would you expect for FAP regeneration? It doesn't seem to corespond to any particular temp on the guage (that never reaches above 80... so far).
my 307 was serviced by a Pug main dealer at 52k (no details), before i purchased it from a local independant (low knowledge/interest) dealer @ 61k (now @ 62.5k). fuel ecomony is currently avg 55mpg for a variety of use, according to the computer.

unless i get any warnings, it sounds like it will need a new/recon filter @ £72k and re-fill?
... am i reading that correctly... or is the fan issue likely to be another unofficial warning ref that 'wonderful' main dealer profit generating FAP system?

very grateful for any advice
2005 1.6 coolant fan & FAP issues - Armitage Shanks {p}
I have asked about the 'Fan run on' aspect and the learned Screwloose has said that it is to put an electrical load onto the system while doing a regen. I don't undertsand the relevance of an electrical load on a car that is parked on my drive with the engine stopped and me in bed listening to the roaring noise but it has happened since the day I bought it and I have given up worrying about it!

Where are you going to pay £72K for a filter???. I understand they are about £700 but I also think that there may be exchange items avaialble nearer £150 and the Eolys is 5 litres @ £25 a litre on top SFAIK.
2005 1.6 coolant fan & FAP issues - 307nPray
thanks for taking the time to reply...
firstly i meant to write .... "i understand you should be replacing the filter at 72k miles (not £'s)"... hopefully i can get one for the £150 you suggested, and not line the pockets of the main dealer with £700!!!
....not an issue for me just yet.... i hope.

on the electrical load issue... from the forums and tech pages i've read i think 'screwloose' is talking about the cooling fan continuing to run afetr the car stops to help cool the filter system down. i think this happens if it's in the middle of a regen when the engine is stopped. this is a 400 deg C operation, so needs all the colling it can get!
i jsut wondered how often a regen should happen... linked to a certain number of miles, are a sensor reading. then i could probaly work out if it's happening to my 307 as often as it should?

anyway... it sound like your does it all the time, with no ill effects?

oh well... fingers crossed
2005 1.6 coolant fan & FAP issues - Armitage Shanks {p}
I read what you and Screwloose say but I don't see how a fan at the front of the car, blowing cooling air thru a radiator, helps to cool a particle filter somewhere in the exhaust system under the car.
2005 1.6 coolant fan & FAP issues - tonyfinn
Hello,
Just to clarify that the DPF on the 1.6HDi is directly at the front of the engine and not under the car as it is on both the 2.0l models.