03 2.2 won't start after fixing diesel leak - paulc924
A pal was asked to look at a fuel leak on a neighbours 53 Merc. There was diesel dripping from a hose from the fuel filter where it connects onto a black component at the top of the engine at the front. An o-ring had failed. This was replaced and now the car won't start. Could you please tell me what this component is and have you any ideas why the car won't start. Thank you in anticipation.

{subject header amended to give a brief summary of question being asked}

Edited by Pugugly on 11/01/2009 at 17:09

03 2.2 - car won't start after fixing diesel leak - Simon
Has the fuel system been bled back up?
03 2.2 - car won't start after fixing diesel leak - adverse camber
Would the component in question be the high pressure pump?

Did he apply any lubricants or lock seal or anything? (As in has he totally foobared the system?)
03 2.2 - car won't start after fixing diesel leak - elekie&a/c doctor
Yes ,the part on the front is the suction/hi-pressure combo pump.Any air within the system will cause a no-start condition.If the car has see-through pipes ,then check for any air bubbles.It is always a good idea to change the complete pipe rather than just an o-ring as you can't guaratee an air tight seal.hth
03 2.2 won't start after fixing diesel leak - paulc924
Thank you for your replies. I rang my pal with your suggestions and he told me he had got the car started. As air was in the system this feed pump was very difficult to prime. He fitted a hand prime pump before the fuel filter and primed the line to the feed pump. Once this happened the car started. Thanks again