peugeot 406 hdi pump problems - taff1789
Has anyone experienced any major problems on the 406 HDI pump system
I have had to have a new low pressure pump and a new high pressure pump
I'm not a technical person on these matters but a new low pressure pump and a new high pressure pump = problems?

Any feedback appreciated

peugeot 406 hdi pump problems - Ian Cook
As a matter of interest, what was the problem that resulted in your needing two new pumps? I have a Xantia HDi so I'm interested in any (potential) problems with this common rail technology.

Ian Cook
peugeot 406 hdi pump problems - postmanchris
I've got a 2 litre hdi first registered Jan 04 which is just about to have the complete fuel system changed because of a failure in the high pressure pump - apparently the fuel system is full of swarff which has stripped off the inside of the pump. As can be imagined, this has not done the injectors any good !

This is my first diesel car, but I have driven vans through artics all my life, and this is the first time I have known a high pressure pump fail in this way. When i happened to mention it at my local tyrefitters, the response was ' Another hdi ! '

Postmanchris
peugeot 406 hdi pump problems - Screwloose
taff

That's quite normal. As postmanchris says; when the H/P secondary pumps on a common-fail engine let go, they fill the whole diesel system with hardened steel frag and the whole lot has to be changed - typically £2.5-3,000. [The Bosch-only HDi system's in-tank L/P pump was modified after a lot of problems.]

Most common-rails get one new set-up and when they do it the second time they're usually scrapped. I see two a week and scrapping mint 51-plate 406's isn't unusual.

The quickest way to ruin the pumps is to "wrong-fuel" it. They usually last a few more weeks and then disintegrate their coating. Changing just the filter element and not the whole casing has been cited too.
peugeot 406 hdi pump problems - taff1789
thanks for the feedback i had 2 replies in 2 days to something i posted aug 2002
since teh low pressure pump and the high pressure pump were replaced teh car has been fine
dont know anythign about the clarion cd changer do you by any chance

Tony
peugeot 406 hdi pump problems - mss1tw
OK now you've got me worried.
peugeot 406 hdi pump problems - P 2501
I was going to get a Hdi after my last XUD.

Glad i didn't now.
peugeot 406 hdi pump problems - 659FBE
Out of interest, what did you get?