12000 mile report - stunorthants26
Now its run up to a shade under 37k and ive owned it 10 months - Im doing more miles in it than I thought and most likely far more than the average Charade owner judging by the 25k my car had on it at 4.5 years old.

Am I still happy with it? On the whole yes. Given the miles I do in it and the use as a work vehicle to carry equipment, something Im sure its makers never intended.
It copes extremely well and when I had a Fiesta loan car while mine was in the dealer, I realised just how much interior space they squeezed out of the tiny dimensions compared to the Fiesta which struggled to fit the same kit with the seats folded - infact it didnt and I had to put stuff both in the front footwell and on front seat, something that I dont have to in the Daijit.
The gearbox is a bit noisey but I think that when it has its 6th year service and its first gearbox oil change, this should certainly quieten it down so Im waiting to see how that effects it. Its not irritating, you just become aware of it.

Running costs. I pay £24 a month to insure it which I think is just fine, road tax is the ever useful £35 a year and buying that Im sure will never get old, its a guilty pleasure for a penny pincher. Economy has stuck around the 57-61 mpg mark on ordinary UL which to my mind compares well with even the newest city cars and it is easily attainable. The lack of weight seems to mean that even on light throttle, it flies up hills and even making reasonable progress never feels like it is being pushed which Im sure helps towards the real life economy.
Maintainance has been limited to a Cambelt on its 5th birthday using genuine Daihatsu belt, an MOT check over and test which it passed with flying colours and tracking which cost £236 ( £135 of which was the cambelt change which seems very reasonable to me ).
Ive also had to spend out £125 on the brakes as after driving through a rather deep puddle, I endured 3 months of sticking brakes, first the NSF, then OSF and then the handbrake linkage.
After all this was done I still wasnt happy so in it went again and a comprehensive clean and lubrication job was done by my local dealer - this has totally solved it now and it feels like it used to. this was FOC as they didnt spot it when they checked brakes and only did the handbrake.
I was going to replace the air fliter but at £31 I thought it could wait as the old one isnt in bad nick! Cheap it is not!
Parts ive needed due to my own fault are limited to a sunvisor which was £39 inc VAT.

I think the rear shocks are perhaps coming to the end of their working life Im sure due in part to my carrying alot of stuff in the back but we shall see at MOT time, if it passes, it will go another year.

Reliability issues. Only thing that has stopped working is the central locking on the passenger side door but since the C/L only works on the two doors anyway ( boot is by key or internal release ) and I can easily reach across from inside such is the width of the car, I havent made any attempt to get it fixed as its very minor issue.
It has never failed to start, no warming lights have shown themselves and it runs as sweetly as ever, infact I think the regular and decent miles have loosened it up somewhat.

Overall, it is still to my mind one of the best city cars of its time as it doesnt sacrifice space to get small size and economy unlike many of the city cars we looked at before buying our Sirion.
Its far less of a compromise than I ever expected it would be and that is why after this much time, I still have no desire to change it as I honestly dont think I could better it.
I was driving it today and its eager, point and squirt style still brings a big grin, safe in the knowledge that its still sipping fuel at a misery rate. I look forward to changing the factory tyres as I read other owners have made decent gains in front end grip by choosing a different make.

Still 5 stars from me.
12000 mile report - Chrome
Good write up, very useful and in-depth, sounds like you are happy with the Charade. Proof that small cars can be more fun than big powerful ones! Are you still on the original tyres?
12000 mile report - gordonbennet
Good for you Stu, and a big thumbs up to the dealer for admitting they should have spotted the front brakes were sticking and doing the right thing.
I'm sure many would have managed to find another reason for the problem completely unconnected to the original visit.
The tyres appear to be original yes. I was quite impressed with the dealer although they have also been great with the supply of our Sirion too so it does seem they are consistantly good and I do intend to pay a bit more and have them service it now as I get a loan car and so dont need a day off work. Labour is £70 an hour inc VAT which these days isnt bad from a main dealer.

I guess I think its important to send in the odd report just because there isnt a wealth of real-life experience of the cars to read up on unlike something such as a Ka.
The woman who bought my Seicento off me has already said that when Im done with teh Charade she wants to buy it.
12000 mile report - Rob E
Hi Stu,

I read your detailed report with interest. I own a 2004 Charade 1.0SE, 38K (up from 5K in July 05) bought as ex-demo (dealer closing down).

In particular:

-Gearbox whine: Mine does this, and always has (and I've owned it 3.5 years). It's only really noticeable in 1st and 2nd, but particularly when changing up to 2nd (eg from 5th or 4th into a junction). I'll be interested to see if changing the gearbox oil makes a difference. Somehow I doubt it, think it's just a characteristic, rather like the way the original Mini and Austin Metro used to whine away!

-Economy: as a matter of interest what do you get on average on a tank? Mine costs about 25 to fill, and it does 300-330 on that. I have always found mine takes an age to fill up. I think that because the filler pipe is so narrow and convoluted, it causes the pump to click on and off quite a lot.

-General reliability: excellent. Like you, no warning lights in 3.5 years, always started first time (even after being left out in freezing weather for 3 weeks). Original battery.

-Parts: expensive. Air filter particularly so, though only needs a change every other year. Have you needed a new exhaust yet? The back half of mine fell off. Replacement is the whole length (not just the back box) but was 220 inc VAT at Daihatsu which I thought was not bad.

-Tyres: when I got mine at 5K the fronts were scrubbed at the sides, and the backs running quite low on tread. I replaced the fronts at 10K, and they're still very legal after 28K and I drive it enthusiastically! Got backs done at 20K and still got loads left. Have now swapped them around, but in both cases they were 'budget' tyres. The original factory tyres were useless and wore out very quickly (widely reported by other drivers at the time).

-General: so nippy, it's amazing. I beat so many cars at the lights without really trying, and find that it holds its own on the motorway at 80-85 (have seen 95 and it could have done more). I love the tone of the 3 cylinder engine.

-Interior: I've moved house 3 times in mine, and it never ceases to amaze me how cavernous the interior is. Much more spacious than my parents' mark 1 Yaris. Back seat passengers always comment on the amount of legroom.

-Unresolved issue: Mine makes an annoying squeak when pulling off or, if it's sat still, when you rev and lift off (which would seem to eliminate it being clutch-related). I've had it looked into but nobody seems to be able to sort it. It's annoying as it's my only gripe. Have you experienced this? Any suggestions welcome.

Hope you continue to enjoy it. I see on average 10-15 Charades a year, so we are an exclusive club!

Best wishes

Rob.
>>Economy: as a matter of interest what do you get on average on a tank?<<

Well I tend not to run it down to empty but usually fill up with at todays prices £24-25 worth and get 310-330 miles although ive managed 460 on a steady 60 mph run on dual carriageway.

>>Have you needed a new exhaust yet? <<

Not yet!

Ive not needed any tyres so far - ive done now 12k and they havent worn badly or excessively yet. I think if you hammered round the corners it may eat front tyres, but I dont. I have increased my tyre pressures because I carry alot more weight in mine than is normal ( 38 all round ) which seems to, when unladen, gives the car noticeably less rolling resistance. Helps counteract the economy effects of carrying the weight too!
Ive got Hankook Optimas all round on mine, no idea if thats the original tyres - anyone know?

Im afraid Ive not had any pulling away squeaks other than when my front brakes were sticking. Id imagine its a squeaking belt perhaps? Had the cambelt done yet?
One of my belts is squealing ever so slightly at certain points when idling cold ( the revs die down as it warms up ) but thats my only noise of note.

What tyres you running?

Hey Stu,

38psi all round... isn't that a bit dangerous given that the recommended 'normal' psi is 29 according to the sticker inside my door.

I think 29 is a little low, as it always looks as though my tyres are a little flat when they're at 29, but I prefer to stick to what they recommend.

Tyres are 'arrow speed', just some random budget brand.

I'm fairly sure your tyres aren't the originals, hence why they're lasting. I'm sure the originals were a different make to what you describe.

Apparently you can squeeze a lot more into the tank than when the pump first clicks off. I think it depends on how patient you are (in my case not very), but I can't complain at 300-330 off 25 quid.

Not had the cambelt done yet, thought I'd have it done at the next service, and hopefully they can sort out the noise then too (though it's not due until July).

MOT next month... hopefully will be ok, nothing obvious that it could fail on.

What colour is yours? Mine is starlight silver.

Rob

Rob,

The funny thing is, grip in normal driving is much the same, plus I carry the equiv of two adults in kit in the back of my car, so adjusting the tyre pressures is always a good idea. Even in really wet weather, ive not noticed any less grip.
Ive found that if I fill my car up when the needle is on the bad side of the red, it still has over a gallon left, if not more.
Mine went straight through its last MOT with no advisories, next one in September which I expect it to pass short of some sort of consumable. Had a look at the exhaust and mine looks solid - maybe my 15-18k per year that I do in it is helping with longevity as many people seem to buy these cars for short runs only.

Mine is metallic Lavender - yes lilac, but most people think its a sort of blue shade! I loath it myself, but the car makes up for it in other ways.

hey Stu,

Well, lilac is better than the awful amethyst they offered (metallic pink). Some find their way onto ebay in this shade!

Re the exhaust: since I've owned mine it's never been used for short runs, ie usually always warmed up before the jouneys end. I suspect the rot set into mine when it was used as a demo and was shifted around the yard a lot (it was a demo for 18 months). The weak spot is the section of pipe which leads up to the back box. It is naturally bent there, and that's where mine rotted through. If yours does go, you'll probably have no choice but to get it done at Daihatsu as kwik-fit couldn't get hold of one. Not a bad thing as Daihatsu said it's guaranteed for 3 yrs.

I always let my fuel gauge go down to the red line, but like you suspect there's still a fair bit left (I've never run out). Perhaps the gauge is a little pessimistic because of the lack of a low fuel light.

Do you like the 'hello happy' greeting?!

Is yours the SL? If so, I'm impressed by the 2 map lights and 2 interior lights (though never understood why the dash lights up when you unlock it as well as the interior lights!). The theatre dimming is a cool touch.

I'll keep you posted about the MOT.

Stu if you want to exchange emails about Charade life mine is evansrobert83@yahoo.co.uk

Rob
Even I would have stopped short of buying a pink car, just a little bit too far for me.

I do rather like the concept of a polite car, only the japs would think of it and the car is all the better for it. It is a bit of a new agey sort of car really, the sort yoga teacher might buy, but I think its the ultimate misers car.

Mine is an EL ( base model ), only has the roof light by the rear view mirror, but still has the theatre dimming, which is indeed a cool touch for what is essentially a bargin basement car. I think its these sort of touches, plus things like the splashes of chrome here and there, make it feel like someone has thought to lift it above its cheap price tag.

My misses laughed about the email offer - she said Im getting chatted up by another bloke driving a girls car, cheeky miss she is :-) will pop an email to you. Truth be told though, she also adores my car, perhaps not as much as her Sirion though, which incidentally has the theatre lighting too, albeit right through the car as hers is a decent spec model.
12000 mile report - P3t3r
I must admit, I have always liked the look of these. The thing that put me off was the lack of grip. After reading this I decided to try test driving one, but I've just gone to the Diahatsu website and it's not on there, so I'm guessing that they don't do it anymore.

It amazes me how they get so much performance with such low fuel consumption.
>>It amazes me how they get so much performance with such low fuel consumption.<<

Its called low weight :-) 720 kg or thereabouts.
12000 mile report - Toyota Red
yup, and skinny tyres, and small frontal area. Cars (in general) are large these days, for all sorts of reasons. Motoring can still be very cheap, if you know where to look.
From an owner of an old corolla.

Edited by Toyota Red on 22/01/2009 at 17:40

12000 mile report - P3t3r
>>It amazes me how they get so much performance with such low fuel consumption.<<
Its called low weight :-) 720 kg or thereabouts.

Yes, that's one way, and it's nice to see some modern cars which don't weight much. My 899cc Fiat Seicento is only 735kg though IIRC, and that is much slower and drinks more than the Charade.
I had a 1.1 Seicento ( not Sporting ) and found that the bigger engine with the long standard gearing was good for 52-53 mpg average, so I suspect the 899cc struggles a little whereas the 1.1 is just right.
The Daijit 1.0 unit is very gutsy though and makes most small cars feel a bit stunted performancewise.
Hi P3t3r

Lamentably the Charade was quietly dropped from Daihatsu's line-up some time in 2007. Look out for 06 models onwards (these all had a/c; better tyres; slightly restyled bumpers; body coloured wing mirrors and improved handling; were available in more sensible colours including black). They sometimes appear on ebay. I thoroughly recommend the car as dependable, economical transport.

Regards,

Rob.
12000 mile report - kingsway

I recently bought two 2006 Charades for my driver-training business. One manual and oine automatic.

Both had been owned by old-folks, so had done only 9000 and 11000 miles respectively. They both came via dealers, so I paid a bit over the odds! (£3000 for one and £3500 for the other)

Both cars are almost like new, in fact some of my customers have assumed they are indeed brand-new!

I've fitted to both cars the wheels from a Cuore/kelisa - these are 4.5in wide instead o the original 4in. I've gone up a size in tyres, and have fitted 165/65/ 13 Michelin E3b 's

These have made the handling feel much better - a lot less undsersteer now - and are low rolling resistaqnce tyres - so any increase in fuel consumption due to more drag/more frontal area etc seem to have been offset.

I have had 70mpg from the maunal car on a long run, but gernerally get abou 40mpg from the automatic and 50mpg from the manual about town (mostly with learner drivers behind the wheel - I can get better when I drive!)

Great little cars - why on earth where they not more popular when they were new??

My wife just bought a 3 door manual one for herself - £880 on eBay. One elderley owner, and 21 000 miles on the clock! She got more for her old car which had done 80 000 miles than she paid for the 'new' Charade!

Edited by kingsway on 03/11/2013 at 13:20

12000 mile report - daveyK_UK

They still sell them under the Perodua badge, but not in the UK.

Perodua UK still sell the highly under-rated myvi (latest daihatsu sirion/suburu justy) but im not sure what their sales figures are like.

Anyone know how many new units Perodua registered in the UK this year?

There where rumours Perodua may be sold via Toyota dealers as they are practically budget toyota cars.

The same way Dacia are sold at Renault dealers.

It would certainly boost sales and exposure.