Removing HT leads! - peteH
Now I realise that this shouldnt be a problem - but I need help!

I am unable to remove the HT leads from the plug on a 1.4 Fiat Brava. I have read the Haynes manual, which basically says pull the cap off (but not using the lead in case of fracturing)

I have pulled the cap as much as humany possible (and tried pulling and twisting at the same time). The rubber cap stretchs, but the cap does not come away from the plug.

What am I doing wrong? There must be an easier way??

Removing HT leads! - BrianW
The rubber caps can partially perish and bond themselves to the plug.
Try to separate the lower end of the cap (nearest the engine) from the plug so it is free.
Then feel down the cap until you feel the bit that grips the contact on the top of the plug.
Grip it at that point and pull like blazes.
Removing HT leads! - peteH
I suspect that you may have discovered the reason. Hence I can stretch the cap by a inch or so, but it still doesnt budge.

I have got one cap off (after much effort) and there is some corrosion on the plug casing (white deposit).

I guess that it would be prudent to replace the HT leads before I get the plugs back in, if the problem is that the leads are beginning to perish. AFAIK the leads are orig so, would be about 4 years old.

Removing HT leads! - dimdip
There is an easier way if you can wait a couple of days - Frost sell a special pair of pliers for this; (rather long) link below:

www.frost.co.uk/cgi-bin/acat/sh000999.cgi?ACTINIC_...0

Maybe Halfords do some aswell?

HTH
Removing HT leads! - Dynamic Dave
(rather long) link below:

A tip. To shorten long links, visit either www.makeashorterlink.com or tinyurl.com and post the long link into the box on the website. You will then be given a shorter link that still takes you to the same website.

Hence,
makeashorterlink.com/?V2D912D91
or
tinyurl.com/161a
Nice one DD
Removing HT leads! - Andrew Moorey (Tune-Up)
I use a pair of very long nosed pliers to get down to where the plug and boot have 'bonded' and twist at that point. Tip: when you replace the leads use a smear of vaseline or silicone grease to stop it happening again.
Removing HT leads! - Keith S
Do you need to make sure the grease does not get in contact with the electrical connector parts? i.e. smear it on the white part of the plug before putting the lead on?
Neither silicone grease nor petroleum jelly conduct electricity so it shouldn't matter
Removing HT leads! - Dynamic Dave
Neither silicone grease nor petroleum jelly conduct
electricity so it shouldn't matter

However, dust and dirt can stick to it, and in time this will do the conducting for you.