Buying advice - model? - Chris White
Hello,

I'm thinking of changing my vehicle for a petrol Vauxhall Zafira, I have up to £3k to spend and am after opinion on best combination of engine and gearbox for reliability. Don't mind manual or automatic.

I do mostly town work but with the odd long journey. I'm a gigging musician and like the fact that the Zafira isn't that big on the outside but all the seats fold down to give me a big flat load area.

For around £2k I can get a 1.6 litre with 60-70k miles and FSH but if I spend my budget of £3k I can get a 2.2 litre with same mileage and history.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks, Chris.
Buying advice - model? - SpamCan61 {P}
Check out the cbcb:-

www.honestjohn.co.uk/carbycar/index.htm?md=429

SWMBO has an X plate manual 1.8 ( 125 bhp not 110 of the earlier ones), a good combination of performance and economy, other than the gearing is a bit low for motorway cruising.
Buying advice - model? - Chris White
Thanks, I've checked the cbcb, and was after some views from forum members :-)

How long have you owned yours and has it been reliable?
We've had this one 4 years, bought at 4 years old with 80K on it, now on 115K. It's a 1.8 manual elegance, actually registered as an Opel, presumably previous owner bought it at a car supermarket or suchlike.

Other than consumables it's had a new starter motor, oxygen sensor and throttle valve body has been cleaned out. The check control system has just started playing up, but that's hardly essential anyway.

IMHO the 1.6 is likely to feel underpowered, especially when carrying a significant load. I've had 7 people in the 1.8 Zaf, yes I knew it was heavily laden, but it still drove fine. Economy wise it varies from around 31 mpg per tank when used in winter on the school run ( i.e. now) to 40 mpg on long runs to Cornwall, fully laden.

I'd go for the 2.2 personally if insurance and general running costs weren't too much of an issue, otherwise I'd have another 125 bhp ( 2001 on) 1.8.
One other issue I forgot, I had problems with intermittent rear door locking, turned out to be damage to the loom between the B pillar and the leading edge of the rear door, fixed myself with a soldering iron and much swearing, not sure how much a garage would charge to fix though. So check any Zafiras you look at for correct operation of rear door locks / windows ( from driver's switch) / door speakers.
Buying advice - model? - hxj

The diesels are generally horrible to drive.

I had a W reg 1.8 Elegance from new that did 90k and the only real issue was the throttle control body. Dull, boring, incredibly practical.

Changed it for a new GSi which has currently done 106k, in four years. No real problems, except clutch needed replacing at 90k and head gasket went at 95k, both covered by extended warranty (oops). Fun and incredibly practical, still raises comments from clients. If you can find a good well looked after one - by far and away the best of the range - or you could find a used and abused one like mine and enjoy it until it dies :) Probably just within your price range.

Buying advice - model? - Vansboy
Have you thought of...

Spending a bit more, going to auction, buying in Motability sections - they have a good number of Zafiras, there, usually.

Or, for the budget you mention, finding a Mazda Premacy, instead?

VB