04 2.0d power loss/management light - dcmcsweeney
Hi, my engine management light lit up at about 88k. The code reads "MAF malfunction". I replaced the maf with a genuine jag part but the light stayed on. I then removed the EGR and cleaned it thoroughly with carb cleaner. I also checked the 4 pin plug for the maf. At the moment i have the following symtoms:1. MIL iluminated. 2. Intermitant power loss/hesitation when accelerating between 1500 & 2000rpm. 3. Power loss accompanied by black smoke. 4. The car can sometime stall for no reason at junctions. 5. Sudden splutters and juddering while at constant speed in 5th gear, approx 1800rpm. 6. On the odd occassion the car won't rev past 2500rpm.
These fault are occuring more often. Other than that the car performs well, starts first attempt with no smoke, burns no oil and returns 42 - 45mpg on mixed cycle. There is also no whistle from the engine bay, suggesting the intercooler/pipe work is ok. The only thing i've noticed is corrosion on a few earthing points at the front of the engine bay, which i have yet to clean, and some type of sensor on the pipe from the intercooler to the egr which looks quite dirty (don't know what this is?). I blanked the egr of for a few weeks and this helped but the problem soon returned so i reconnected it. I've also been told that the wiring loom to the maf on the mondeo tdci (same engine) can stretch and crack but have yet to check this. Any other ideas?? Starting to loose hair over this!!

Edited by Dynamic Dave on 06/01/2009 at 13:27

04 2.0d power loss/management light - jmaco
Hi, I had exactly the same issue a few months ago, about 110.000KM. Change of the intercooler solved the issue. It was internally damaged. No more smoke and better response since replacement. rgds
04 2.0d power loss/management light - injection doc
check for broken wires in the MAF plug! very common fault.