01 2.3 Intermittent starting problem - Big Red Ford
I have an intemittent starting problem with my Galaxy. The key turns, the lights come on the guage, but nothing else happens. No click or noise from the starter, completely dead! Wiggle key and turn several times, remove key and replace and eventually it starts. I had the ignition barrel replaced 7 months ago and had no further problems until now. I have had several starting problems this week. Have put it into an auto electrician who cleaned up the conection to the starter motor, but his had no effect. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Any thoughts is it worth putting it into the main dealer? Not convinced that any one will be able to deal with an intermittent problem unless it is giving the problem when they look at the vehicle.
01 2.3 Intermittent starting problem - peterperfect
I have repaired a few Galaxies with that type of fault.
Does the red PATS light on the door flash approx 16 times after the ignition has been left on for over 60 secs, it will be 16 slow flashes then stop then 16 stop and 16 etc . If so I know the answer.
Peter
Hi Peter, thanks for your answer. Do you mean when it refuses to start? In which case I have not tried just leaving the ignition on, or do you mean take the ignition to the point before the engine starts and leave it for 60 seconds and see whether the PATS light flashes for 16 flashes?

Thanks once again
Just turn ign on and leave for 60 secs, count the flashes after that, its a fault code light for security system. There may be codes stored if so write them down. If you do it while the fault is current i would expect 16.
Peter
Hi Pete,

what do I do once i have got the sixteen flashes to sort the problem?

Thanks.
Relay in fuse box, not easy to see or get at, usually dry joint,ask the dealer for engine control relay and fuel pump relay replace both, not expensive, HTH, Peter
thanks very much for your advice - very much appreciated will give this a try,

Simon S.
01 2.3 Intermittent starting problem - smartplumber
Hi all, I have a 2003 (01/03) 2.3 petrol Galaxy with these symptons as well.

Can anyone please tell me where the relays live as have had the cover of the fuse box (below right of steering wheel) but can not see any relays. Does this fuse panel have to come out to expose the relays?

Any help much appreciated!
01 2.3 Intermittent starting problem - Abbz

Hi Simon,

Years since you've been here. Just wanted to see if that fixed the problem mate ?

Was it any luck after changing the relays ?

I have a similar issue with my Ford too.

Thanks.

01 2.3 Intermittent starting problem - lance123

hi ive the same problem would you no the number of the engine relay cheers

01 2.3 Intermittent starting problem - Abbz

Hi,

Did you manage to find the relay numbers. I'm going through a similar problem with my Ford galaxy 2002 2.3 petrol. Lovely car no issues with it apart from this one. It cut out on me in the middle of the road. Had to ask people to push it to the side.

RAC (road side assistance in UK) said it was an electrical fault and needed an electrician, was happy to tow because he couldn't diagnose the problem.

I'll try to get the relays tomorrow from the dealer and post here my findings.

We shouldn't abandon the threads like this as it could really help someone out.

Thanks.

01 2.3 Intermittent starting problem - Johnnypxd
Hi,
I have just inherited a 2002 2.3 galaxy ghia auto from my grandad, it only has 55k on clock and is cutting out randomly and rac also told me an electrical fault, did anyone find a fix for this?
Thanks,
John