1996 1.8 Reservoir Float Sticking? - Dansdad
Ok. I've had a Xantia 1.9 TD estate for a few years, and mainly paid a fortune through garage servicing for all maintenance. Having had BX's before, and fiddled sort of familiar with the suspension system, but never dismantled before.
Due to an accident, I've just bought a Xantia 1.8 16v LX for my son to use temporarily, which unfortunately rides like a brick, so we've decided to bite the bullet and replace the spheres ourselves, and we have found plenty of advice here on how to do it.
One question which springs to mind is it looks like the previous owner may have overfilled with non-Citroen LHM, to compensate for a slight leak near the rear N/S sphere.
The mushroom gauge on top the reservoir doesn't seem to move at all, despite us syphoning out a litre of fluid from the reservoir, leaving the internal level approximately the same as my Xantia estate which floats like a dream.
Is the float jammed in an up position (can this happen?) and will this be rectified when we take out the old LHM, and flush the reservoir and the system?
Or are we barking up the wrong tree?

Edited by Dynamic Dave on 28/12/2008 at 19:45

1996 1.8 Reservoir Float Sticking? - Peter.N.
They can stick, but just look at the level in the reservoir, if its more than half full it should be fine. You may be able to pull the pipe connection block, complete with the gauge, up far enough to see if it drops, just undo the wire clip. Spheres are not difficult to change if you can unscrew them, there is a useful tool for sale on ebay for the purpose or you could use a strong chain wrench, not an oil filter one - that will break.

Xantias and XMs are superb vehicles but expensive to maintain if you have to pay someone, doing it yourself will save a lot of money. Mind you, compared with the cost of repairing a lot of modern vehicles they are not so expensive and you can do it yourself without having to take it to a garage and get the fault codes read!
1996 1.8 Reservoir Float Sticking? - M.M
Are you checking LHM level with engine running and car in high suspension position?

David
1996 1.8 Reservoir Float Sticking? - Dansdad
Thanks.
Yep checking level engine running and raised position - I'm familiar with all that which is why I thought it strange there is no move in the "mushroom".
We took a litre out of the reservoir yesterday, and by using a clean kebab stick as a depth gauge found it then to be at the same level as my diesel Xantia (recently resphered and flushed) give or take a mil.
I tried gentle tapping to see if it'd drop in all positions and after some "Citrobics" but to no avail, so a smart method of freeing it up would be good to know, if the petrol flush out of itthe reservoir and the filters doesn't do it.
New spheres are "en route", my lad has access to all the kit as he is apprenticed at a garage (smart move on my part eh), and a ramp obviously there so safe working's no prob. Pity its not a Citroen dealership is all I say!
If I can save by doing it myself and learn in the process suits me.