Shall I, or shan't I? - oldgit
Over this dreadful Christmas period I have been looking at the new Golfs that are percolating into the local dealers. I'm not quite sure what to make of this so-called much heralded improvement over my current MK 5 Golf.

I have managed to sit in the 1.4 122PS TSI SE model, the one I hope to order in the next month or so, for delivery in time for the March 1st number change.

There is supposed to be a quantum leap in the quality of the interior but the heater controls are just rather flimsy circular dials with poor indication of their position and on one model, I could hardly move the directional air vents for fear of snapping the flexing plastic louvres!
My biggest gripe is that a sunroof is no longer an option on the S or SE, only on the top of the range GT.

Also, some of the bright, shiny alloys have been replaced with a funny greyish two tone alloy finish thus making brake dust less obvious, I suppose.

I was also surprised to see that there wasn't any fancy underbonnet engine cover but -instead the underside of the bonnet lid had sound-proofing padding. Thus the engine now looks a bit of a mess with everything visible to the prying eye.

Totting up my own configuration for a car with metallic paint, multifunctional steering wheel (in order to control the radio) and parking sensors we're looking now at a car costing in excess of £17k
Shall I, or shan't I? - whoopwhoop
"Shall I, shan't I?"

"controls are just rather flimsy"..."poor indication of their position"..."could hardly move the air vents for fear of snapping"..."My biggest gripe is..."..."now looks a bit of a mess"..."we're looking now at a car costing in excess of £17k"

Sounds like you've answered your own question haven't you??!
Shall I, or shan't I? - v8man
The real reason for the early re-design is becuase the current model is too expensive to build. I assume my Jetta will get the same treatment soon.
The MK 5 was too expensive to build and so they re-skin the new one, simplify the multilink rear suspension and then charge more for the MK 6. Doesn't really make sense, does it?
Shall I, or shan't I? - Manatee
There's no need to rush into buying anything at the moment, especially what sounds like an unremarkable hatchback of which the weak points are as yet unknown.

I would say it's not worth it but that's based on the marginal utility of £17,000 to me, not you ;-)
Shall I, or shan't I? - Bagpuss
I can only repeat what I wrote in another thread. A colleague of mine had a Golf Mk6 as a rental car (they've been out for a while here in Germany) and was mightily and, as a BMW owner unexpectedly, impressed by it. I've not yet driven one so can't comment based on personal experience.
Shall I, or shan't I? - Bagpuss
...on the other hand, having reread the original post, 17 grand seems a bit steep for a small hatchback.
Shall I, or shan't I? - Andrew-T
>There is supposed to be a quantum leap in the quality ...

At the risk of incurring the anti-pedant wrath of backroomers, may I remind them that a quantum leap is the smallest change in state that can affect an electron in an atom. So the Oldgit need not expect any great improvements ...
Shall I, or shan't I? - tawse
2009 will be a year of depression not seen since 1929. If you have loads of free cash then consider buying but I, even though I have the cash, am very reluctant to buy a new car now.

A few days ago Ford in Spain reduced the price of their new cars by 25% - how long before that happens here in the UK? How long before other car makers do the same? How long before they reduce by greater than 25%?

Germany is expected to have a MINUS 5% growth in 2009 - HUGE recession. There is already talk of them having to discount prices heavily as their economy is so dependent upon exports and the car industry is their main exporter.

Anyhow, best of luck in whatever decision you make.

Shall I, or shan't I? - alex

£17K is expensive, bearing in mind that the Golf is just a mass-produced hatchback.

I wonder how VW's pricing in the UK will be affected in 2009 when you consider the dramatic decline in the Pound's value against the Euro in recent weeks ?
Shall I, or shan't I? - DP
Without being unkind or disrespectful, I personally don't see why anyone would consider spending 17 grand on a mid sized 1.4 litre family shopping cart. I think VW have ideas far above their station here.

Comically overpriced IMHO.
Without being unkind or disrespectful I personally don't see why anyone would consider spending 17
grand on a mid sized 1.4 litre family shopping cart. I think VW have ideas
far above their station here.
Comically overpriced IMHO.

With respect, you are now being stupid, making utterances like that.
It is a medium sized family hatchback with an amply large interior and plenty of headroom.
It is comfortable and quiet and very economical, if engine size is chosen wisely and a nice place to be in, compared to, say, a Focus or Astra.
I currently drive a 1.6 FSI Golf MK 5 and over the four years, my Excel spreadsheet has told me that my fuel consumption is >42 mpg, admittedly running it on super grade (out of choice).
With respect you are now being stupid making utterances like that.

Why is that, then?
It is a medium sized family hatchback with an amply large interior and plenty of
headroom.

So is a Focus / Astra / Civic / Auris etc etc
It is comfortable and quiet and very economical if engine size is chosen wisely

So is a Focus / Astra / Civic / Auris etc etc
and anice place to be in compared to say a Focus or Astra.

Yes, but it costs considerably more than either, spec for spec.
I currently drive a 1.6 FSI Golf MK 5 and over the four years my
Excel spreadsheet has told me that my fuel consumption is >42 mpg admittedly running it
on super grade (out of choice).

According to the experts on here, the FSI engines can be damaged if you don't, so your choice may not be quite as free as you thought.

At the end of the day, I only said I couldn't see why anyone would consider one. If you have the will and the means to blow £17k on one of these, it's your call. I'm sure it will be a perfectly competent and enjoyable car to own. Good luck with it, sincerely.
>There is supposed to be a quantum leap in the quality ...
At the risk of incurring the anti-pedant wrath of backroomers may I remind them that
a quantum leap is the smallest change in state that can affect an electron in
an atom. So the Oldgit need not expect any great improvements ...

Yes, but I wasn't alluding to particle physics! - Just a people refer to a plethora of this and that - we know it is a medical term, in reality.

However I am told that the quality is much better, although my tentative findings have not borne this out. I was/am quite happy with my MK 5 although there are intermittent problems with squeaks, clicks and groans from the dash assembly depending on whether hot or cold air is flowing through the ducting and vents. However, even some of the real quality car i.e Lexus and BMW (to name but a few) suffer similar nuisances.

I doubt whether VW, even with their alleged upgrading of the interior, can guarantee that their new Golf won't suffer similarly.

Edited by oldgit on 27/12/2008 at 10:58

Shall I, or shan't I? - scipi
New Golf is supposed to be a step up in quality whilst saving VW alot of money in production costs and when looking at the car it looks like an improvment in quality but from what I have seen at the dealers (and from what the dealer have told me), VW have stepped down quality wise in out of the way places. Not good, Im keeping my Golf Plus for a few more years and then will get a BMW Series 1 or Audi A3. Lets hope that VAG dont try to make savings on the Audi's also.
Shall I, or shan't I? - oldnotbold
Leave it six months until some reliability experience is about, and VAG UK/the dealers are sweating on sales.

£17,000 for a run-of-the-mill 1.4 hatchback - that's just plain funny. What isn't funny is the hit you'll take on it over the first three years.
Leave it six months until some reliability experience is about and VAG UK/the dealers are
sweating on sales.
£17 000 for a run-of-the-mill 1.4 hatchback - that's just plain funny. What isn't funny
is the hit you'll take on it over the first three years.

But you cannot accuse it as being run-of-the-mill. Its 1.4TSI engine is a very advanced piece of technology developing 122PS and excellent torque and superb fuel economy.

No Ford Focus, other than thos odd diesel Econetic models can do this. Anyway, the range of engines is far better than the Ford range with their cooking Zetec engines and I'd have to choose at, the very least, a 1.6 or 1.8 to approach what VW have to offer in performance and economy.
Shall I, or shan't I? - gordonbennet
piece of technology developing 122PS and excellent torque and superb fuel 1.6 or 1.8 to approach
what VW have to offer

Thats all very well, and the figures may look wonderful, but those figures don't always tell the true picture.
Some of these small engines albeit very clever and efficient aren't always very pleasurable to drive in the stop start traffic laden environment many of us find ourselves, often unbelievably easy to stall and needing constant gearchanging to make any sort of smooth progress.

You won't know how good or bad any particular engine is until you try it for yourself.
reviews and testers opinions don't always translate into the evryday use 99% of us give our cars.
I'm not saying that the new Golf is like this, but manufacturers quoted figures don't always tell the ful story.

I do know for a fact however that the 1.8 petrol engined Focus will be torquey and tractable and a nice drive, i don't own one, but i drive all sorts of cars daily and some of these small high tech engines are great once on the move, especially if you are a gearchangeaholic, but a pita at stop start.

And i do agree about £17K being an extraordinary amount for a normal run of the mill hatch.
Shall I, or shan't I? - Citroënian {P}
OG - are you spending your own cash on this or is it a company runabout? I can understand the price if it's not directly out of your own pocket, but given the current climate I can't help but think you'd be better waiting a few months and getting a lot more car for the same money.

However, if you have other reasons to purchase then crack on, it's your £££!

£17k though - that would currently get you an 08 BMW 320d with 177PS and every extra you could think of from MotorPoint right now....

Edited by Citroënian {P} on 27/12/2008 at 12:42

OG - are you spending your own cash on this or is it a company
runabout? I can understand the price if it's not directly out of your own pocket
but given the current climate I can't help but think you'd be better waiting a
few months and getting a lot more car for the same money.
However if you have other reasons to purchase then crack on it's your £££!
£17k though - that would currently get you an 08 BMW 320d with 177PS and
every extra you could think of from MotorPoint right now....

My own savings - see elsewhere. I don't want a second hand BMW 3 series for several reasons, let alone your suggestion of a diesel - I only do around 6k miles a year and never on motorways.
Shall I, or shan't I? - the swiss tony
Your looking @ spending £17k on 6k miles PA????

Would you not be better off having an old banger, and hiring a car as and when you need a decent car?

Then....go on a fantastic holiday, to use up the savings you dont want HMG to have....

Or even better.... if I give you my bank details........... ;-)

Edited by the swiss tony on 27/12/2008 at 13:55

Your looking @ spending £17k on 6k miles PA????
Would you not be better off having an old banger and hiring a car as
and when you need a decent car?
Then....go on a fantastic holiday to use up the savings you dont want HMG to
have....
Or even better.... if I give you my bank details........... ;-)

I would think that I am entitled to spend my money as I desire. I don't 'do' holidays and in fact haven't been on any holiday since 1969 (Agoraphobia and allied problems) and so that excursion does not come into the equation!
My only little bit of extravagance is to buy a nice new car every few years or so and reckon, at my age, that I will only be buying possible another three before I'm considered or consider myself to be too old to drive safely.
I wouldn't dream and have never had to have old bangers and would not feel safe or would venture out even less (If you can imagine that) if I were to buy one.
Shall I, or shan't I? - Altea Ego
> I would think that I am entitled to spend my money as I desire

Indeed you are.

>Shall I, or shan't I?

But you asked and we are saying its an above average price for what is an average family hatchback with average reliability and an unproven engine.
Shall I, or shan't I? - the swiss tony
I would think that I am entitled to spend my money as I desire. I
don't 'do' holidays and in fact haven't been on any holiday since 1969 (Agoraphobia and
allied problems) and so that excursion does not come into the equation!

You are of course to spend your money as you desire, I was just thinking how much you must lose in depreciation.
I of course didnt know of your Agoraphobia, now I do, I understand your position, I apologise for any upset I may have caused - I have a relative with similar problems - I should have thought before typing.....

... the other comment was firmly tongue in cheek, which I spose goes with the foot in mouth bit.

Anyway, may I wish you a Happy New Year, and if you decide to get this new car, I wish you all the best with it.
SQ
I apologise for any upset I may have caused - I have a relative with
similar problems - I should have thought before typing.....

>>

Don't apologise, please, if you thought you might have entered a sensitive area concerning my health. I have lived with it so long now, it's part of my normal life.

Holidays and travelling all over the country, racking up thousands of miles, annually, is what 'normal' people do. It is just that I can't do that sort of thing any more.
Believe it, or not, I used to drive all over the near continent on foreign holidays in the late fifties and early sixties, that is until the rot set in and I lost my confidence.

Edited by Webmaster on 29/12/2008 at 21:03

>>................. And i do agree about £17K being an extraordinary amount for a normal run of the mill hatch.

Well, I am a pensioner, relying on a state and company pension and have ample savings and so the credit squeeze and the rest of the financial depression doesn't affect me - well it does, in that my interest on my savings mean that whatever I spend, is not going to be replaced with significant returns.
However I still like to spend what I've got, otherwise the state will end up with all my money!
og

you are being a bit duplicitous here

in your first post you point out in you think that 17k is a lot of money

then when others agree with you, you get offended and start to defend it.

17k for a 1.4 family hatchback is a lot of money in anyones book and difficult to justify.

Of course you are a wise fellow and as such will not be paying anywhere near an over inflated list price just because you would like one of the first ones to arrive in the country when you know in 6 months dealers will be paying you to enter the showroom.
og

No I am not being duplicitous - at least I don't think so. I said initially, that the car worked out to be more expensive than my MK 5 did, four years ago and that now for a car, with a better torquey turbocharged engine and a few extras (no sunroof, however) I have got to pay over £17k.
Shall I, or shan't I? - LondonBus
£17k is a lot of money.

£17k is a lot of money for a 1.4 family hatch.

However, if og really wants a Golf VI now and is happy to pay £17k then that is good value for him.

Me? I think its crackers. I'm looking to pay £5k for a 3 year old Astra. Point is, I'm not OG. And that 17k is his money - not mine.
Shall I, or shan't I? - oldnotbold
"Its 1.4TSI engine is a very advanced piece of technology developing 122PS and excellent torque and superb fuel economy."

Much depends on gearing, and the weight of the car of course. 122 PS is a lot to wring out of a 1.4, though, even by modern standards.
SQ
Much depends on gearing and the weight of the car of course. 122 PS is
a lot to wring out of a 1.4 though even by modern standards.

Well. they're also doing a 160PS version which is achieved by use of a supercharger and turbocharger. My mate has similar on his new DSG VW Jetta.

Edited by Dynamic Dave on 27/12/2008 at 21:36

og

SQ - again!

The salespersons must be very jaded then, as they are certainly not that enthusiastic over sales, when I enter the showroom as a potential buyer in these difficult times.

Perhaps it's a VW/Audi trait present in these elaborate Chrome and glass show palaces. I had assumed, wrongly, that they'd be grovelling at my feet to please me and assuage my buying thirst.

Edited by Dynamic Dave on 27/12/2008 at 21:36

Shall I, or shan't I? - stunorthants26
I would take a blind bit of notice of anyone here since we are all different and judge our car buying decisons by our own circumstances and preferences.
I for one wouldnt buy the latest Golf or the previous model because each generaltion seems to loose more and more depth to its quality. I spend alotta tiem cleaning these cars and the last two generations have really nosedived as far as I can tell and a Golf fanatic I know said much the same to me, but he is a technical whizz and knows how to fix them.

Id just buy the Skoda/Seat version instead if thats at all possible if one really must upgrade - atleast its gonna be cheaper surely?
Shall I, or shan't I? - Avant
Hang on a moment - there seems to be an implied assumption that the VW Golf 1.4 will cost £17k, whereas Oldgit was simply talking about the fairly upmarket version, with extras, that he wants to specify.

In fact - just taking petrol cars as an example, the basic Golf starts at £12,872, according to What Car, compared with the basic Ford Focus at £12,501. To get a 123 bhp Focus, list price ranges from £15,536 to £17,024; a 122 bhp Golf goes from £14,517 to £15,960. The Focuses include 1.6 and 1.8 engines, but I believe that VW's point is that a 1.4 delivers the same power with greater economy. No doubt you'd typically add £1,000 for extras - but you don't have to.

Not much in it, is there: yer gets wot yer pays for. Both Golf and Focus are good cars, probably best in class - my point is that you can get the basic version at a reasonable price if you want it, or accept that if you want extras, that's where the manufacturers are going to make their profits.

Nothing changes - think back, for example, to the Riley versions of the Farina-bodied Austin Cambridge, which came down the same production line but cost (I vaguely remember) about 25 % more for twin carburetters and wood on the dashboard.

Edited by Avant on 27/12/2008 at 15:06

Shall I, or shan't I? - rtj70
other companies like Ford will introduce engines like the VAG 1.4TSi engine to get power and economy. Lots seem to be assuming it's just a normal engine whereas there are turbo (120ps) and turbo/supercharged versions (170ps).
and some of us are saying that get get 170 pferderthings from 1.4 capacity means over stressed and over complex.
Forgot to say, a few months ago I spoke with a well known Internet car dealer about the VW 1.4 TSI and he felt that a turbo and super-charged engine would not last long.

I know nothing about engines other that what I read here so I have no idea whether he is right or wrong but thought it was worth mentioning.
Shall I, or shan't I? - woodster
£17k for a 1.4 Golf that is pretty much a re-skin and production costs saving exercise over the old one? Barking. Does anyone go to a main dealer these days? After it's been out for a few months the web dealers will be able to get supplies, and if you must have a new one, why not go to them and save a few 'thou? I've got a Mk V and love it, but I'd never have paid the list £18k for it new. Happy to pay half that at 2 1/2 yrs old though, which is about what you'll lose if you pay the money asked.
Shall I, or shan't I? - George Porge
Lifes not a rehearsal and you're a long time dead.

What was the question again OP?
I'm no engineer but that makes perfect sense to me, AE and Tawse.

It seems logical that a big, comparatively unstressed engine will last longer and be generally less temperanental than a small highly-tuned - even highly-strung - powerplant. The big engines - even some petrol ones - tend to have plenty of low-end torque which is surely far more useful for the sort of driving that most of us do every day.

Particular favourites of mine have been -

- the B-series Austin engine in my first car, the beloved A50
- the 2.0 Renault engine which I had in a 20TS and two 18 GTX estates in the 1980s
- the V6 24v in the Laguna
- the 1.8 XUD in the Peugeot 205
- the 2.5 TDI in the A4 Avant of blessed memory and the current VAG 2.0 TDI (though I believe both these can give trouble when they get to high mileages).

I've only test-driven the VAG 2.0 TFSI (in an Octavia vRS) and liked that too: I suppose I should reserve judgement till I have a go in a 1.4 - but it does sound as if it may be at its best only at high revs - which isn't what I want.
Avant, if it was naturally aspirated I'd expect a 1.4 with 122bhp to be a buzz box.

However, given that the TSI is forced induction I'd expect the torque curve to be fairly flat with maximum or near maximum torque at low rpm similar to a turbo diesel. Coupled with a wider useful rpm range than a TD the engine is probably very tractable.

Edited by Manatee on 27/12/2008 at 16:42

Just looked it up. Max torque 200Nm @1500, 122PS @ 5000. Acceleration 0-62 in 9.5 secs within a gnat's of the TDI140 and nearly 2 seconds ahead of the naturally aspirated 1.6 petrol. More than respectable.
Shall I, or shan't I? - colinh
Oh dear, Europe not listening to Backroom experts, again:

"...The Volkswagen Golf was once again the most-registered car in Europe during November, and VW itself was the most successful manufacturer, according to the latest report by JATO Dynamics..."
Shall I, or shan't I? - bazza
From the reviews I've seen the 120 and 170 motors are mightily impressive, but as above, the longevity question would concern me if I was buying privately with a view to extended ownership outside of warranty. Time will tell whether modern oils can overcome the bearing failure issue. I assume VW have gone down this route for reduced CO2 emissions, in which case can we expect other manufacturers to follow suit? Interesting that Honda sell a 1.8 Civic motor with similar performance and mpg/CO2 credentials, without the need for forced induction. I know which one I'd trust 5 years and 70000 miles down the road, despite being quite a fan of VW/Seat over the last few years.
Hang on a moment - there seems to be an implied assumption that the VW
Golf 1.4 will cost £17k whereas Oldgit was simply talking about the fairly upmarket version

At last common sense prevails. I want the SE model because that has the better spec. than the basic 'S' version and to which I have to add about £1300 extras, including metallic paint which I believe is extra on most mass produced cars. I want parking sensors and steering wheel control of the audio and onboard computer which is included in those extras.
I also specced up a Ford Focus with a 1.6 engine and it wasn't far short of the Golf and yet still did not have some of the features that I now take for granted.
specced up or not - its still 17 grand for a 1.4 golf.

>At last common sense prevails.

you wanted opinions - didnt know we had to agree with you.
Those just saying 1.4 when it's a turbocharged 1.4 puts a different slant on the comments though doesn't it ;-) It's as powerful as some 1.8s but has more torque (lower down) and better CO2 and other emissions.

As I said higher up, Ford/GM etc are going down this route soon - they have to do this to cut CO2/improve MPG.

Whether the long term reliability is as good as a low stressed larger engine I have no idea. But oldgit was not asking this and for him the car will probably be under warranty until he swaps it so no an issue.

Nobody seemed to mind when VAG got 225PS out of a 1.8 Turbo petrol engine. I had the 150PS in an Audi A4 (briefly), two Passats and a Golf GTi. I like the engine a lot.... but the Golf needed a new turbo from day one to stop it sounding like a jet engine on take off ;-) All sorted on warranty.

Don't FIAT have a Grande Punto and the nice 500 with a turbo 1.4... I think the Abarth 500SS is even 180PS... so why pick on VAG. And Peugeot has 1.4 turbo I think...

Maybe this thread should stick to questions by the OP and not discuss the longevity of the VAG 1.4TSI engine? That could be a separate thread which would be very interesting.

Rob (as himself and not a mod)

PS I agree with those that say a turbo/complex engine is going to perhaps have more costly work needed in the future. Fine if under warranty but not as a banger. But that's the EUs fault with their emission targets.

Edited by rtj70 on 27/12/2008 at 19:14

Shall I, or shan't I? - captain chaos
Who cares about reliability and under-stressed engines? As long as the interior plastics are of the finest quality and the headlights come on as soon as you turn the key that's all that matters, surely? ;-)
I have a 90 bhp per litre turbocharged engine in my Volvo which has done 140,000 miles, still flies, and doesn't even need the oil topping up between services. I don't think turbocharged engines are necessarily less reliable, given modern oils, proper servicing and a decent standard of engineering.
Shall I, or shan't I? - Pendlebury
Personally I think VW have taken the opportunity with the Golf VI to increase it's margins significantly and on the whole I also find VW's overpriced for what they offer.
Any company (chairman) that states publicly their cars are too expensive to manufacture and subsequently designs a new one that is cheaper and takes the opportunity to increase prices at the same time has only got increased profits on his mind and not customer value. As such I could not buy another VW although I remain a fan of the VW Golf - I just wish they would only make it with one badge. I am not a fan of having the same car in many different badges and they do not have a clue about customer service and have also managed to con the public into thinking they offer a quality product.
Their marketing is brilliant as it manages to capture significant sales.

Having said all that OG is a big fan and would clearly be happy owning one - so if you can afford it like you say you can then go for it big guy - and enjoy every minute of it. I don't fully agree with tawse but life is going to be allot harder than of recent times - even the PM is going public to say so - I cannot remember when that was done in this country so being in your position OG should be savoured and enjoyed - you have clearly worked hard enough for it.
Shall I, or shan't I? - whoopwhoop
Why are many people assuming that just because it's got a 1.4 engine, that it'll be stressed producing 122PS and will therefore be unreliable?

There isn't necessarily a direct correlation between an engines cc and the strength of it's mechanicals. Just because the cylinder capacity is only 1400cc (or whatever exact number it is), doesn't mean the mechanics are the same as a conventional 1400cc. Historically, smaller cc engines have been "lighter" engineered than bigger engines because their power output meant they didn't need to be any stronger. But if output is increased, there's nothing stopping you increasing the strength and engineering.

You could engineer the mechanics from a 3.0 engine into 850cc if the bore & stroke were altered. I seriously doubt VAG have just slapped a turbo onto an existing 1.4 engine without doing a few more calculations.

And frankly, £17 isn't even remotely unusual for a specc'd up hatchback. Plenty of people pay £20k upwards for Audi A3's and the such-like. I paid £18k for my own MkIV GT TDi Golf 8 years ago!

Just because the BR is full of financially savvy (penny pinching?) motorists who trundle around in 100,000 mile Mondeos which cost nothing more than three buttons and a handfull of bellybutton fluff, it doesn't mean VW are wrong for putting a £17k price tag on a car, nor does it mean that someone is necessarily a "fool" for buying one if their financial circumstances and requirements allow.
Shall I, or shan't I? - ole cruiser
>>But if output is increased there's nothing stopping you increasing the strength and engineering.>>
So that's what they've done, is it? Do they say so?
I agree with Mapmaker. The OP is perfectly entitled to his preferences and his extravaganzas - good luck to him - but he doesn't really seem to fancy the car much, and what's then the point of bothering about ?50 gallons of petrol a year?
The Jaguar looks great - probably a good thing there's only 10 minutes or so to go!
Shall I, or shan't I? - Mapmaker
And three years hence when you want to swap again:

Volkswagen Golf S 1.4 Petrol 5-door Hatchback
5 Speed Manual Front Wheel Drive
Year: 2005 05 Mileage: 18,000
Part-exchange Price:Excellent condition: £5540
Average condition: £5000
Below average condition: £4450

If you're going to spend 4k a year on depreciation, plus maybe £500 on other servicing - so 75p per mile - on your driving, why not buy something a bit more fun than a Golf with bad trim that does 42mpg. You're going to use 430 gallons in the next three years, so a mere £1,660 of petrol. If it manages 21mpg, the extra cost is only 13% of your capital cost over the next three years.

Why spend so much money on something so utterly mundane? Hey spend it; there's nobody keener than me on spending money on nice things. But a Golf? 17k??? And call it luxury????? And every mile costing you probably £1 after insurance and petrol.

That's wasting money in my book.

Travel in style instead: tinyurl.com/9g676k - if it lasts you a year, you're quids in compared to that grotty Golf.

Shall I, or shan't I? - Big Bad Dave
"Travel in style instead: tinyurl.com/9g676k - if it lasts you a year, you're quids in compared to that grotty Golf."

Mapmaker, that ties in neatly with the current "White Car" thread. I think the XJS looks fantastic in white would have posted so, except that we have the white car debate every 6 months and gets a bit tedious.

And of course you can have a 2000 model XJR for £5,000 and spend the other £12,000 not worrying about the recession.
Shall I, or shan't I? - brum

SNIPQUOTE!!!!!!

Mapmaker,

The example you (carefully) chose cost £12495 new (probably just over £10k as it was just before the MkV intro). You seem to have chosen a ridiculously low mileage and chosen the worst valuation you can find which you then ignore and claim £13000 depreciation. (over 100%)

Your calculations are wildy inaccurate and to state that (in general) Golfs cost £1 per mile to run is absurd and likely to attract the attention of VW's legal dept.

Or are you just aping Jeremy Clarkson?

Edited by Webmaster on 29/12/2008 at 01:11

Brum's rant>>Mapmaker The example you (carefully) chose

Nah. I'm busy at the moment. It was the first 3 year old 1.4 Golf I typed into Glass's internet site.
You seem to have chosen a ridiculously low mileage

OP's intended mileage. He told us. If, of course, I choose a "sensible" mileage, lets say 80k, then it's unlikely to increase the valuation, is it???
chosen the worst valuation you can find

Just Glass's trade-in valuation, which is what OP will get when he trades it in.

>>which you then ignore and claim £13000 depreciation.>> (over 100%)

Ac tually 12k :) Calculated as the difference between the 17k OP wants to spend, and the 5k (mid valuation) that Glass's tells me that a similar looking car will be worth. I dare say that the exact colour of the plastic thingy bits that OP is so delighted by might make 10p difference to the final valuation.

>>Legal department

LOL.

If you're only doing 6k miles p.a. as OP is, then it WILL cost you that sort of money.

RTFQ.
To state that (in general) Golfs cost £1 per mile to run is absurd

Did I? Must have done it quite without writing it down.

Imagine somebody else who only does 2k miles p.a. That Golf will cost him £2 per mile in depreciation alone...

Shall I, or shan't I? - brum
Sorry MM, I didnt realise that the textbook definition of depreciation had changed recently or that an 05 car was only 3 years old or that when I read "every mile costing you probably £1" it was a trick of the light.

I stand corrected
Sorry MM I didnt realise that the textbook definition of depreciation had changed recently

Difference between what you pay for something, and what you get for it; like wot I sed. Pretty much cost to change, if you're swapping like with like.
that an 05 car was only 3 years old

Near enough, isn't it? Within the roundings, by the time OP gets his order in, and it's delayed and finally arrives.

>>or that when I read "every mile costing you probably £1" it was a trick of the light.

Not a trick of the light, it's costing OP £1 owing to his low mileage over a short period of time in a highly depreciatory environment. I never made a general statement that a Golf cost £1 per mile to run.
I stand corrected

Good! Apology accepted.
Volkswagen Golf S 1.4 Petrol 5-door Hatchback

SNIPQUOTE!

It doesn't really matter what the prices are (as above) as long as the 'price to change' for me, to exchange my excellent condition, low mileage 1.6FSI golf with sunroof for a new 1.4TSI SE with a few extras, comes to, say, about 10 to 11 grand, then I'll be happy.
The garages will certainly, in the next few months or so, be discounting cars or offering carrots in order to bolster their sales.
I rather have this car, or similar new car rather than some old gross hack. I know that a lot of people like buying and using people's hand-me-downs, but not yours truly.

Edited by Dynamic Dave on 29/12/2008 at 13:42

>>to exchange my excellent condition, low mileage 1.6FSI golf with sunroof for a new
>>1.4TSI SE with a few extras, comes to, say, about 10 to 11 grand, then I'll be happy.

Fair enough. Means I'm not far off track with my prediction of 12k depreciation over 3 years.

>>I know that a lot of people like buying and using people's hand-me-downs, but not yours truly.

Fair enough, it is your choice. But, but, but, BUT he says. Something more exciting? And keep it a bit longer? A Morgan?
Shall I, or shan't I? - va1o
The Golfs are great cars, and I am saying that as a previous owner of a MK5. They handle well, very well built, lots of equipment and good image. Mine has now been sold because of abuse and damage it recieved at a main VW dealership during a routine service and warranty work. Because of this IMO VW dealers are the worst in the business, but I still highly rate the Golfs.

OP - I think buying the MKVI for you makes sense, but get it through an internet broker or at least use the deal they are offering to help with haggling. Carfile.net have TSI SE 5dr Golfs at £14,699. Your not from uk-mkivs.net by any chance are you by the way??

> And three years hence when you want to swap again:

SNIPQUOTE!!!!!!

Mapmaker - A 1.4 S (75bhp) that costs a shade over £12k new is simply NOT comparable to the 1.4 TSI SE (122bhp) costing £17k. Not only will the TSI be worth considerbally more because its a much bigger engine with much more equipment, its a more desirable model so as a percentage it hangs onto its value better.

Your post is completely stupid, and you shouldnt really be on this forum if thats your knowledge of cars. Its annoyed me so much that I have bothered to register and reply you.

As for those cars at motorpoint, I can tell you now the BMW 525i SE is the pre-facelift E60, it has been sat arround in Malyasia for about 2-years unsold before been exported to the UK and sold at a cut-down price with no manufacturers warranty. The B150 I don't know its source exactly, but again its pre-facelift and non-UK spec, it wouldnt have a 3-year manufacturer warranty maybe a 2-year if your lucky.

Also as a general thing (not specifically aimed at anyone here), the prices of the MKVI seem steep compared to the previous model because of inflation. £17k in 2009 is worth less than £17k in 2004.

(va1o returns to lurking mode)
Your not from uk-mkivs.net by
any chance are you by the way??
> And three years hence when you want to swap again:

Yes, I do contribute to those forums quite often and often a bit testy.
Thanks, Pendlebury for your support. I am a person who, although somewhat flushed with the necessary spondoolies is of a nervous and anxious nature and is going to find the ordering and interminable waiting, a trifle trying, when it seems that so many people seem to have an anti-VW attitude here and present such a negative stance.
to have an anti-VW attitude here and present such a negative stance.

Not at all - a lot of us drive VAG products. We are just realists.
Now my company scheme has brought back VAG cars (dropped GM) then I can see my next car being a VAG car (VW or Skoda). And my personal miles have dropped (personal reasons) so petrol turbo vs diesel probably makes sense.

I too might look at a VAG engined 1.4TSI (either turbo or super/turbo car next). Or perhaps a 1.8TSI. Got three years to go if the Mazda6 lasts ;-)

And I have had a fair few problems with VAG cars (more than GM/Ford/Mazda). But still would have another if the monthly price is right. Could opt out and the figures next time round mike make me rethink.

Edited by rtj70 on 28/12/2008 at 23:18

"...a lot of us drive VAG products. We are just realists."

Fair enough - so am I. We can each report as we find: I've had three VAG cars and all have been fine, the current one obviously so far.

I suspect AE's Touran, which I seem to remember wasn't new when it was leased to him, had been abused by a previous driver. How goes your Altea, AE, which was new to you?

It's probably true to say that Japanese cars can take abuse / inconsiderate use / lack of car sympathy etc better than European ones, and there's less of the 'some good, some bad'. Even then there are some exceptions, e.g. Honda diesels.
Avant... I have had problems with VAG cars but would have another. Current car (Japanese) I reserve judgement on... oil change at 3200 miles since the 12500 mile service on advise of lease company (I don't pay). It was not needed but they would not accept any responsibility. It's a DPF diesel.
>>Even then there are some exceptions, e.g. Honda diesels.

Do you mean Nissan diesels?

Edited by Manatee on 29/12/2008 at 06:15

My father in law has just ended an unbroken near 30 yr run of VW ownership (mk1 Golf, mk2 Golf, 2x mk3 Golfs, 2x mk4 Golfs) and bought a Volvo. I appreciate that is going to mean nothing to anyone outside my family, but for me, it was all I needed to know that modern VW's aren't a patch on the old ones. There are still those of us in the family who can't quite believe he'd made the switch....

Shall I, or shan't I? - madf
Persona;;y, as someone who likes to obtain vfm when purchasing, buying a new 1.4 car for £17k is anything but vfm.

I suspect AE's Touran which I seem to remember wasn't new when it was leased
to him had been abused by a previous driver. How goes your Altea AE which
was new to you?

Its ok. 24k up in 14 months, two basic services, a rattle from one door the gear lever sizzles on the overun in 3rd.

The point is tho its a golf v plus in all but name and looks, loaded with all the extras as standard that would be costly in the golf, and is £4k cheaper than the equivalent golf.

As would be a skoda.
Perhaps the detractors would like to post up what exotica they drive and how they manage to run them on bread and butter money?

XJS were rusty unrelliable heaps when new, take the rose tinted off. I suppose its at least different to the usual buy a mondy instead reply.

Shall I, or shan't I? - akr
I'm getting itchy feet now to buy something different and exciting so am waiting for the Mk 6 GTi to come out. I test drove the Scirocco the other week and loved it. My only gripe (apart from rear visibility which I'm sure I'd get used to) was the age old VW problem of price. By time I'd put metallic paint on and cruise control (not even standard on a near £21k car!!!!) and one or two other little bits I'm looking at £22k plus. I suspect the GTi will be in this region too, if not even more. The dealer would knock £500 off at the time if I'd bought there and then.
I was seriously tempted despite my well known falling out with VWs a few years ago but I just couldn't help thinking it was a couple of grand overpriced. I've since looked at various other things and could even get a one year old 330d BMW for that or a nearly new IS220d with leather and sat nav. The BMW would knock socks off the Scirocco, great car as the latter was and the IS220d, while being quite dull in comparison, would almost certainly be more dependable. I'm also sure I'd be much better looked after at Lexus if anything did go wrong than at VW.
In the end I'm going to wait to look at the GTi when it comes out in summer and make a decision then and I may well still buy a VW. But I think you can probably see my point about the price of their cars.
could even get a one year old 330d BMW for that

More comparable would be a 330i petrol. A bit of haggling will net you a 3-6 month old 330i M Sport with less than 10k on it from a BMW main dealer, and enough change for a year's road tax. One of the finest mass production petrol engines ever made, 30 mpg in daily use, sub 6 seconds 0-60 and truly beautifully engineered and screwed together.

No contest against a Golf or Scirocco. None whatsoever. It depends if "nearly new" is good enough, I suppose.

Shall I, or shan't I? - daveyjp
Re the OP - the Golf is a new model, discounts will be rare as hens teeth for a few months, regardless of economic situation.

Get your price to change for a Golf of the spec you want then visit the local Audi dealer for a look at an A3 Sportback with a similar spec. The vents aren't flimsy and the climate control system is well designed!

Decent discounts are readily available on A3s.
Re the OP - the Golf is a new model discounts will be rare as
hens teeth for a few months regardless of economic situation.

SNIPQUOTE once more!!!

But it's not a pretty car any longer (never really was, IMHO). Anyway I had an Audi brochure and speccd. up a 1.4 125PS 5-dr hatch and with the extras I wanted, similar to the new golf, I was looking, IIRC at over £18k or nearer £19 and their sunroof price is OTT if you'll excuse the pun.
I am afraid that buying Audi is another piece of badge engineering, as the Golf is better value for money and the Audi is really Golf, in another guise - I wouldn't be tricked into doing that.

Edited by Webmaster on 29/12/2008 at 20:56

Shall I, or shan't I? - Webmaster
oldgit, would be grateful if you could please snip and summarise when quoting the message you're replying to, as per HJ's request. Have had to edit several of your posts in this thread.

www.honestjohn.co.uk/forum/post/index.htm?t=42612

The pop up message also requests this - "please keep this thread as readable as possible by editing the quote to include only relevant text"

Thanks.

Edited by Webmaster on 29/12/2008 at 21:04

Shall I, or shan't I? - daveyjp
19k list doesn't take into account the discount - 10% is no problem on an A3 and you may get more - my dealer will match a brokers price - no chance of this on the Golf VI.

This brings an "Audi badged Golf" down to less money than the Golf you are speccing which as you state is over £17k.

If you want a deal on a Golf VI wait 12 months.
Shall I, or shan't I? - smokescreen
Not sure what is all this worry about bhp per litre. As rightly mentioned, the VAG 1.8T engine has been around since 98' onwards and has proven to be very durable throughout the years when serviced regularly.

The turbos they come with aren't even running close to full boost whatsoever, nor is full boost applied in anything but heavy acceleration.

Plenty of owners have remapped them to higher outputs without much problems over than the MAF sensor or recirculation valves giving a little trouble - both which are cheap to rectify. Surprisingly economical given its power output, too.

Edited by smokescreen on 29/12/2008 at 21:51

Shall I, or shan't I? - NowWheels
Perhaps the detractors would like to post up what exotica they drive and how they
manage to run them on bread and butter money?

I drive a car of the same size as the VW Golf, with a powerful 1.8 litre engine, a smooth auto gearbox, electric everything including full climate control, a nice leather steering wheel with remote audio controls, brilliantly supportive seats and pretty sharp roadholding. It cost me less than 7k just under 3 years ago, and is now probably worth half of that, but is only 4 years old and has less than 40k on the clock (I do about 10k miles a year).

It's a Nissan Almera, which isn't regarded as exotica in the UK, but it does everything that a new Golf VI would do at a fraction of the price, and has more toys. Plus it's a lot more reliable than a VW.

Depends what you want, but the extra £10,000+ for a new Golf doesn't seem to me to be buying much except the soft-touch plastics than some people obsess about.
NowWheels any car that is safe, road worthy and driveable does the same as any other car though. It's transport. Cannot quite see your point ;-)

My wife's FIAT does the same as a Bugatti Veyron if you want to get from A to B. But you would not compare them.
Yes, but surely the point is that the Almera and Golf are both small/medium hatchbacks designed to do the same job. I can't think offhand of any Fiat that was designed to do the same job as a Veyron....

You could certainly argue about whether an Almera is as good to drive as a Golf, but if NW's priority is getting safely and reliably from A to B and back again, she has a strong case in that the Almera does the job she wants it to.
My point was (using an extreme example) is a car is for transport from A to B. Pick any car of the size of a Golf of any age and it does the same job. A silly comparison by NowWheels.

BTW I think some FIATs (aka Ferraris) might compare to a Veyron though ;-)
NW, I don't understand your logic, if everyone takes your advice and doesnt buy new, where does your next nearly new car com from?

NW I don't understand your logic if everyone takes your advice and doesnt buy new
where does your next nearly new car com from?

Dox, you're absolutely right. Folks like me who buy nearly new are the beneficiaries of the huge generosity of people who throw away thousands of pounds so that they can enjoy a few weeks of car-new-smell and several months of running in my new car for me.

I'm very happy to benefit from their extravagance, but it's only fair to remind them just how much cash they are throwing my way.

Edited by NowWheels on 30/12/2008 at 14:37

Dox, you're absolutely right. Folks like me who buy nearly new are the beneficiaries of the huge generosity of people who throw away thousands of pounds so that they can enjoy a few weeks of car-new-smell and several months of running in my new car for me

And I'm slightly further down the food chain. 3 year old vehicle, probably ex-lease with sensible mileage. I aim for the "sweet spot" where the annual depreciation rate is reducing sharply, but the car is still reliable. I expect to pay for some of the bigger servicing costs (e.g. cambelt/water pump) during my tenure along with the costs of making sure the car is properly maintained, but would ditch the car when it comes out of the sweet spot - i.e. repair costs start to ramp up (together with a higher probability of a breakdown).
But if nobody bought new cars there would be none for you guys to benefit from.

Rob
But if nobody bought new cars there would be none for you guys to benefit from.

True - but what proportion of new cars are bought by private buyers (vs firms/leasecos)?

Edited by LondonBus on 30/12/2008 at 15:20

Shall I, or shan't I? - colinh
42.2% private according to SMMT
Shall I, or shan't I? - carl_a
the huge generosity of people who throw away thousands of pounds so that they can
enjoy a few weeks of car-new-smell and several months of running in my new car
for me.
I'm very happy to benefit from their extravagance but it's only fair to remind them
just how much cash they are throwing my way.

The original lease purchaser of the car most likely paid less for the car new than you paid for it "nearly new". They also managed to get several thousand miles out of the tires, brakes, clutch and engine that you now own. The RRP new is rather high on certain brands so they can lease out the cars and then buy them back to sell them 9-12 months old to make people think they are getting bargains.
The original lease purchaser of the car most likely paid less for the car new
than you paid for it "nearly new". They also managed to get several thousand miles
out of the tires brakes clutch and engine that you now own. The RRP new
is rather high on certain brands so they can lease out the cars and then
buy them back to sell them 9-12 months old to make people think they are
getting bargains.

Partly true, I think. Right enough, that's how the big hire companies make their money, by selling for more than they paid. I dunno how big their discount is, but maybe not much less than the 50% I got off for buying a 16-month-old car.

But both of us are still doing well compared with the person who paid the full RRP, with maybe 5% off from the dealer and a "free" tank of fuel. A year down the road, and they've thrown away half what they paid.
Perhaps the detractors would like to post up what exotica they drive and how they
manage to run them on bread and butter money?

I don't think that's the point. Usually if somebody says "I want a xxx" some will say yes, some will say "what about a yyy".

Nobody in this thread has come out in favour of a 17k plastic-vented Golf.

OP enjoys spending his money on cars, fair enough. But posters here don't think he's getting very good value for the money he's spending...
150 seconds at Motorpoint.co.uk (HJ's link) suggests the following new cars that MUST be more fun and cheaper (or scarcely more expensive, anyway) than OP's Lada, or whatever it was. Crumbs, even I'm tempted by the following.

Subaru Impreza 2.5 Wrx 5dr [nav] body: 2.5 WRX 5dr [Nav] reg:
mileage: Delivery miles engine: 2457 cc
year: 2008 gearbox: Manual colour: Steel silver ref: 298269 £14,599

Mercedes-benz B Class B150 5dr body: B150 5dr reg:
mileage: Delivery miles engine: 1498 cc
year: 2008 gearbox: Manual colour: Polar silver ref: 301215 £11,999

Jaguar X-type 2.0d Se 4dr body: 2.0d SE 4dr reg: mileage: 10 engine: 1998 cc
year: 2008 gearbox: Manual colour: Midnight black ref: 281062 £18,999

BMW 5 Series 525i Se 4dr Auto body: 525i SE 4dr Auto reg:
mileage: Delivery miles engine: 2494 cc
year: 2008 gearbox: Automatic colour: Titanium silver ref: 278295 £21,999

I know they're not quite new but, but, but:

Volvo C30 Sports Coupe D5 Se 3dr Geartronic body: D5 SE 3dr Geartronic reg: 57
mileage: 8000 engine: 2400 cc year: 2007 gearbox: Automatic
colour: Brilliant blue ref: 304171 £12,999

Lexus Is 220d 4dr body: 220d 4dr reg: 57 mileage: 9916 engine: 2231 cc
year: 2007 gearbox: Manual colour: Argento Ice ref: 299218 £13,999

Mercedes-benz Clk Coupe 220 Cdi Avantgarde 2dr Tip Auto body: 220 CDi Avantgarde 2dr Tip Auto reg: 57 mileage: 15212 engine: 2148 cc
year: 2007 gearbox: Automatic colour: Obsidian black ref: 296479 £18,499

I am truly amazed and indeed honoured that you all (mainly detractors) should be spending so much time discussing my OP, on whether I should spend my money as I please.
We live in a sort of free society, I assume and, yes perhaps I should buy that Toyota Auris or Ford Focus however I think that the former, although statistically more reliable is an utter bore and no-no as far as I'm concerned - a Nissan Almera - I shudder to when I think of such cars. I know I could go and buy a nice second hand Beemer for that money but I don't want a larger car as I spend most of my driving time in country lanes where a large wide car is a pain. And I never, or very rarely use the Motorway system - again for personal reasons.

I always have, in the last decade and a half, bought new cars and can afford so to do. I enjoy getting in and driving away in a brand new car. It helps to compensate for the fact that, in reality, i'm never going to be able to drive very far in it (for reasons I have already mentioned) which galls me considerably, if the truth be known.
Mapmaker, you forgot to tell us what exotica you drive, did your £1K (for example, I've no idea what you drive) buy a micra or an aging S class merc?

Which cars in your list don't have plastic vents?

The list you put up in the current ecconomic climate are as desirable as farmer giles, ask a second hand car sales place whats selling at the moment Fiestas or high end BMWs.

I think 17K is a lot for a normal hatch, but i can fully understand why Oldgit likes his cars brand spanking.

Not every one year old car has been bought new by members of the BR, many will have been scratched, thrashed, abused, neglected, misfuelled and had all sorts of mistreatment thrown at them, and given the high tech engine he's contemplating i think he's doing the right thing.

We didn't have a choice when we bought the pick up, as we bought new cheaper than we could get used from the main dealer, sounds daft but its true.
The truck is now 16months old and we have no regrets, we know exactly how that vehicle has been treated from day one (one of my workmates even delivered it to the dealership), it hasn't had one hour of being abused and that gives considerable peace of mind should we keep it till it disintegrates as planned, and we hope a considerably better chance of a long trouble free life.

I bet we'd all like to buy Oldgit's used cars, unfortunately in the used car lottery it can easily have been Youngchavs car for the first 5000 miles of hell and torture.
Thats the gamble Oldgit's missing, and i don't blame him.

Edited by gordonbennet on 30/12/2008 at 15:10

I am truly amazed and indeed honoured that you all (mainly detractors) should be spending
so much time discussing my OP on whether I should spend my money as I
please.

I don't see anyone here suggesting that you shouldn't spend your money as you please. There are several people telling you that they think you are daft, but you're entirely free to ignore us all if you want to.
We live in a sort of free society I assume and yes perhaps I should
buy that Toyota Auris or Ford Focus however I think that the former although statistically
more reliable is an utter bore and no-no as far as I'm concerned - a
Nissan Almera - I shudder to when I think of such cars.

As you say, it's your cash to spend as you want, and I have no desire to stand in your way at all. But I do find it quite funny to watch how successful the marketing men have been in persuading some people that there are anything more than minor differences between an Auris, a Golf, a Focus and an Almera. They accommodate the same number of people in similar space and carry similar amounts of luggage, they have similar performance and similar equipment levels, and all will cover a journey in very similar times. There are minor differences in noise and ride comfort and in handling, but in any given conditions they will all produce broadly similar results.

If, in the days of the MKII or MKIII Golf, someone was presented with a completely VW-badged versions of any of those recent vehicles and told that it was a Golf of the future, I would be very surprised if they thought that the car they were testing of them was anything other than a mighty fine example of how VW continued to improve its fine products.

It's your money to use as you wish, and that's your right. Others have an equal right to be bemused. :)
I think in a (relatively) free country you're entitled to buy as many new cars as you wish. Just wouldn't be my choice.

Are you still planning to try and get a new Golf VI at launch or maybe wait a couple of months and see if you can juice the dealer?
Shall I, or shan't I? - Alby Back
To try to answer your original post OG.

"Shall I, or Shan't I"

I don't have a need for that category / size of car, but from the information you have provided it would seem to suit your needs. Couple that with your liking for the marque in preference to its competition and on the assumption that you are comfortable with the deal, I dare say you probably should buy one. It sounds as if it would please you and that is ultimately all that matters here.

If, however, the question was, would I buy one, then my answer would be no, for many of the reasons discussed above.

I do remain pleased nonetheless, that we are all thus far at least, free to make those choices.....

Hope you enjoy your car. If it's right for you, go for it I say.
I think in a (relatively) free country you're entitled to buy as many new cars
as you wish. Just wouldn't be my choice.

Are you still planning to try and get a new Golf VI at launch or
maybe wait a couple of months and see if you can juice the dealer?

No, probably not, now at launch but if I'm satisfied with the car, having looked at what I'm going to get for my money, in more detail (i.e. a test drive and thorough examination of all the trim etc.) then I hope to place an order between now and, say, March. The delivery is still, apparently, 10 to 12 weeks (goodness knows why).
I ordered my current Golf in Sept 2004 and picked it up in the middle of Dec. in that year.

The new Golf, apart from the GT model, cannot be had with a sunroof any more which is annoying and I want parking sensors and the MF steering wheel - these being the minumum essential extras and of course the ubiquitous silver metallic paint - easy to keep and look clean.

I will, despite my 'wealth' still try and get a good deal, obviously, but ultimately it's the price to change which is important and not, necessarily, how much my current car will fetch.

Edited by Webmaster on 01/01/2009 at 00:38

Shall I, or shan't I? - Alby Back
I know where you are coming from with the sunroof.

( Just watch I'm now going to be roasted for cliche speak ;-) )

I like them too. My old car has one and my "new" one doesn't. Not that I open it much at this time of year but I like the light.
I am truly amazed and indeed honoured that you all (mainly detractors) should be spending
so much time discussing my OP on whether I should spend my money as I
please.

BECAUSE YOU ASKED US TO! the thread title says "Shall I or shan't I"

So OG - after all the "help" you have received - are you any nearer to making a decision.
Me thinks you will go for it.
Keep us posted on your thoughts and what ever you decide - I am sure we all wish you the very best with your decision.

Remember one thing though - you are the one with the money and make sure you get the dealer dancing to your tune - whatever they say, they are desperate to sell cars at the moment so you make sure you enjoy the whole experience and take control.
Cheers.
Shall I, or shan't I? - jase1
We live in a sort of free society I assume and yes perhaps I should
buy that Toyota Auris or Ford Focus however I think that the former although statistically
more reliable is an utter bore and no-no as far as I'm concerned - a
Nissan Almera - I shudder to when I think of such cars.

See this is the bit I never get with these topics on cars like VWs, Peugeots and Renaults.

What exactly is so special about a Volkswagen Golf for pity's sake?

Are they the most reliable cars around? No.
Are they the best to drive? No.
Are they the most luxurious? No.
Are their engines either the most powerful, frugal or refined? No.
Are they the most stylish, or the prettiest? No.

They are just an ordinary hatchback, and a pretty bland one at that.

If you are so quick to turn your nose up at such bland cars as the Almera or Auris, then I fail to see the attraction in another boring box, and one with a torque-free zone for an engine as well.

If you want to spend nearly twenty grand on a car, take advantage of the current situation and buy something like that Impreza as Mapmaker says.
Shall I, or shan't I? - barney100
Oldgit is perfectly entitled to spend his hardearned on anything he likes as we all are. The car selection decision has different criteria to many of us and what suits one dosen't suit another.
Shall I, or shan't I? - cjehuk
With your stated options DTD have the Golf for under £17k... albet not by a huge amount. I would say that if the car will make you happy by all means go for it.
Its the price to change that matters, not the new price.

OG is in a good position, he has a desireable used car to trade in and is sticking with the same manufacturer who will make more money selling his used car than on the new one he's buying.

Be polite and haggle hard, ensure any price reduction before the delivery date is honoured and that the part ex price remains the same.

Awaits more sneering from the detractors.................................
Shall I, or shan't I? - akr
I know this is a little away from the OP but further to my point earlier about buying a Golf GTi I noticed my local dealer had a couple of new Mark 5s in the showroom. So methinks I might go in and see if I can negotiate a decent deal on an obsolete car.
Er, no. I stood in the middle of the showroom admiring the wood and the glass for 15 minutes. Eventually someone realised I might possibly need some help so asked me to go sit behind the screen in the comfy chairs at the back of the showroom. After reading the paper from cover to cover I went back out and approached two salesmen who were tapping on a computer in one corner of the showroom. One looked like the sales manager because other salesmen kept going to him asking him questions. "I've been here half an hour" I said. "We've only got 4 salesmen on today" said he. "Can't you help me then?" I asked.
Now this question really threw him. "Me? Deal with a customer wanting to buy a car?" he seemed to think. Surely not.
So in answer to the OP "shall I or shan't I?" I would say don't do it. The arrogance of this brand and its salesmen doesn't deserve your hard earned - go give it to someone who'll look after you and who'll be really grateful you're there.
AKR, a good post and so true.

Took your hard earned and spent it somewhere else..good.

Whilst people allow themselves to be herded around like sheep and treated as a walking cash machine, certain points of sale will continue treating them as such.

The other way of looking at this, if a company is incapable of treating you properly as a customer during a sale, what hope of good service after they've got the money.
Shall I, or shan't I? - FocusDriver
akr - not being in the market for new or "approved used" cars (can't afford them, nothing more) I'm astonished, totally gobsmacked even READING about your experience. I hear it goes on but it still beggars belief.

...except that I'll just repeat that my good friend who is a BMW salesman is leaving the profession altogether because he cannot stand the people he works with. Arrogant, rude and incapable (not only to potential customers but generally too).
Shall I, or shan't I? - bazza
OG, have you considered a high spec Octavia? It's an excellent car, I would say the equal of the Golf or better these days.
If you do end up going for the Golf, how about waiting until say April/May? We're entering a very painful downturn and I predict car dealers will be falling over themselves for your business by then.
OG have you considered a high spec Octavia? It's an excellent car I would say
the equal of the Golf or better these days.
If you do end up going for the Golf how about waiting until say April/May?
We're entering a very painful downturn and I predict car dealers will be falling over
themselves for your business by then.

The Skoda Octavia is a much larger saloon car and so I would not consider it.

I must say, that at the moment the impressions I get, in the VW showrooms is one of end of the year indifference and it will be interesting to see whether things perk up in Jan/Feb of 2009.
I visited a VW showroom again today just to have a closer look at detail on the new Golf, even though the one on display was a GT. I know it was only a minor detail but I was surprised to see that the remote release of the fuel filler cap has now been discontinued in favour of manually pressing the fuel cap cover from the outside.
This can only be done when the car is still unlocked. When the car is locked the cap cannot be released.
Shall I, or shan't I? - maz64
The Skoda Octavia is a much larger saloon car and so I would not consider

You might think so, although from Octavia's CBCB: "Same engines and chassis as Golf V"
www.honestjohn.co.uk/carbycar/index.htm?md=926
Shall I, or shan't I? - The Melting Snowman
I would buy one. The new Golf is the best built, most refined and best riding hatchback money can currently buy.

It's expensive but you can't have smoked salmon for the price of a piece of old trout.
It's expensive but you can't have smoked salmon for the price of a piece of
old trout.

Ah, but everyone knows that tinned salmon is not only cheaper but also healthier for you. Yes, it sounds bizarre but apparently true!
Snowman - I am not sure we can say that it is the best built car yet as the reason the MkV was replaced with this vehicle is that it was too expensive to build so clearly VW do not have world class build standards in comparison to other manufacturers. VW are trying to improve but are along way off Ford, Toyota and Honda in building the best quality hatchbacks.
The best riding hatchback is easily the Focus.
Based on what I have read it will be very refined.
It is a good looking car IMO - especially the new interior - unfortunately though time is usually a good judge of how poor VW's turn out to be and this is demonstrated in the CBCB section. They are great cars in the show rooms but in the real world when the soft touch plastics start to fall apart and coils start failing and cam belts need changing sooner than necessary then this demonstrates they are not the best built cars.

Edited by Pendlebury on 01/01/2009 at 11:22

Shall I, or shan't I? - maltrap
The figure £17K, keeps being mentioned. When i went into my local VW dealership, the MK VI on display was a 2L diesel automatic (7 speed). When i asked the price the salesman got as far as 22 when i was out of the door!
Dox>>Mapmaker, you forgot to tell us what exotica you drive, did your £1K (for example, I've no idea what you drive) buy a micra or an aging S class merc?

I drive a ghastly Vectra, because I inherited it and am too stingy to sell a car nobody will buy. Previous cars have included Mercedes and an Audi 100, a poverty spec Mk ii Polo which in some ways was my favourite ever. My next car will not be a Vectra as soon as it has the guts to die. Probably a Legacy, or an A6, or an S-type. Or... And yes, you are spot on with the 1k.

Dox>>The list you put up in the current ecconomic climate are as desirable as farmer giles,
>>ask a second hand car sales place whats selling at the moment Fiestas or high end BMWs.

QUITE. That's the whole point. OP has pots of cash to spend; 12k depreciation every 3 years he tells us. The new cars I posted are brand new, and some of them are guaranteed* to have a lower level of depreciation than that Golf.

The gas-guzzling nature doesn't worry him as he does very few miles a year. 10mpg or 40 makes precious little difference over 6k p.a.

The cars I listed are dirt cheap, pre-registered (i.e. brand new) for the reason you posted. So why not take advantage of the current economic climate and buy one of them, dirt cheaply.

What was your point?

Given the choice of a brand new Jaguar (pre-registered), or a brand new Golf (delivered exactly to your spec. after a waiting period) for the same price, how many would say this is an equal contest. (I note OP wants a smaller car, so obviously that does not apply here.) But most would go for the Jaguar... wouldn't they?

>>plastic air vents

OP's complaint about the Mk VI, not mine...

>> >>plastic air vents
OP's complaint about the Mk VI not mine...

I meant to say that they were plastic air vent slats, but aren't most of them?
The point I was making here, was that in this particular example of the new Golf, the mechanism was unusually stiff which meant that I was afraid to apply to much pressure for fear of breaking them as the vertical deflection was getting excessive due to the resistance in the swivelling mechanism.
Had they been metallic slats then they would have bent and presumably stayed that way.
Discretion was the better part of valour. Other examples I have tried since - today in fact, were OK, albeit with a new car feel!

Edited by oldgit on 31/12/2008 at 16:59

QUITE. That's the whole point. OP has pots of cash to spend; 12k depreciation every
3 years he tells us. The new cars I posted are brand new and some
of them are guaranteed* to have a lower level of depreciation than that Golf.

We're in a resession, why are the cars you listed so cheap, because no one wants them, neither will they in 3 years time when OG wants to part ex. There's also the VED that is currently in suspense to consider....................

In 3 years time the 1.4T (the turbo that everyone conveniently likes to forget about that give performance on par with a 2L) will have a value, the gas guzzlers will have non (who knows what price a gallon of fuel will be).

As for poor dealers, find another one, there's plenty out there

Shall I, or shan't I? - M.M
We are careful buyers of value cars and really appreciate our current high spec and clean condition cars... his just over £2k and hers under £1k. Two excellent price points to get smart modern cars with loads of kit.

However I would never seek to deny oldgit the pleasure of a neat medium hatch when brand new is what appeals to him for a very specific and personal set of reasons.

Must just mention in passing though, despite it not being the car he needs, that I was mightily impressed by a brand new Skoda Superb TDi offered to me today on the road for £17k when we were looking at used Octavias. I thought it was a cracking car and *huge* value for money.

Oh and anyone who thinks £17k is a lot for a car should look in a hi-fi specialist where that could easily be spent on a CD, amplifier and speakers.

David

Edited by M.M on 31/12/2008 at 19:29

No need to tell me, I bought a mint Golf V5 highline estate at the height of the fuel prices for half that of a tatty diesel. 6K miles P.A. and I'm £300 a year worse off than the diesel but 90% of the public can't do the basic maths so OGs buy is a savvy one, I doubt it will lose £12K either, smallish economical family cars will be king for the next 10 years IMO
It's quite funny, in a way, how some have catigated me for thinking of spending £17k when they'll quite happily over a period of years, spend considerable amounts, on their annual holidays sometimes taking several each year.
Perhaps not the best of analogies but that's all I could think of!
As long as people spend their money in a way that pleases them who's to worry?

Whenever anyone mentions buying a golf all the nay sayers recommend an octavia, I've owned an s plate octavia 1.6 est and now own a v plate golf 2.3 est, the skoda was deffinatelly built to a price and was deafening on the motorway, the seats were also poor. My brother owns a 51 plate octavia tdi, the waterpump failed snapping the belt at the same time causing bent valves etc. Once repaired the turbo failed, so no different to a golf really, but one gets recommended here the other a slagging. Common sense says two cars with identical running gear with a £2k price difference has to have some cheaper body fixtures and fittings, but that does'nt wash here.

Enjoy your new golf ;o)
In 3 years time the 1.4T (the turbo that everyone conveniently likes to forget about
that give performance on par with a 2L) will have a value the gas guzzlers
will have non (who knows what price a gallon of fuel will be).

Assuming it's still running. According to Screwloose, many of the existing VAG TSI engines expire somewhere around the 60,000 mile mark unless run religiously on good quality premium fuel, and even then it's a bit of a lottery.

Unless VAG have finally found a way to make a direct injection petrol engine reliable in the long term that eluded the likes of GM, Ford and Mitsubishi, I would say one of these wouldn't be a great bet for long term residuals. Nobody has yet made one of these engines work properly. Ford SCi, Mitsubishi GDI and Vauxhall "Direct" powered cars are all bad news out of warranty.

Cheers
DP
Didn't Mercedes Benz give up on direct injection too?
Unless VAG have finally found a way to make a direct injection petrol engine reliable
in the long term that eluded the likes of GM Ford and Mitsubishi I would
say one of these wouldn't be a great bet for long term residuals.

But nothing's more reliable than a Volkswagen, eh?
Shall I, or shan't I? - Al 42
Oldgit, haven't read all of this thread but if you fancy this car (and you know you do) buy it. Life's too short. It's not as if you're going in blind on a rash buy - you've done your home work, had plenty of advice... and obviously know a fair bit about cars. Just get the best deal on offer at the time.

It will depreciate a fair bit but will this mean your kids will go without food or shoes? It's your choice, you've got the cash you'll have it a few years. Jump in and enjoy it out of the box.

Watches, beer, holidays etc etc - anyone with an interest has an opinion, you pays yer money.....
Shall I, or shan't I? - CGNorwich
The Skoda Octavia is a much larger saloon car and so I would not consider it.

Actually it's a hatchback not a saloon although it does look like one
Oldgit - your choice is backed up by February's What Car magazine, which rates the Golf 1.4 TSI (122) SE as their 'Best Buy' small family car:

"The Golf is all the car you're ever likely to need. Some rivals can deliver either fun, refinement or comfort, but the Golf provides all 3 effortlessly. Our favourite model has a turbocharged petrol engine that's refined and punchy, with low CO2 emissions and good fuel economy. It's not cheap, but the Golf is well equipped and ownership costs are low. [5 stars]"

I've never driven a Golf - owned a Leon 2.0 TFSI for a year, and if the rest of the car had been as good as the engine it would have been fantastic. Hopefully the Golf will give you a better balance.

F
Focus, I'm sure the Golf is a nice car to drive, but what puzzles me about these things is how people do their cost-benefit calculations. The Golf will cost about twice as much as a nearly-new Focus from Motorpoint, and while I'm quite happy to believe it's better, is it really twice as good as the Focus?
Focus
is it really twice as good as the Focus?

Not driven one so don't know - just trying to cheer up Oldgit!
NW, when you've directed every car buyer to a supermarket to buy USED where are you going to get new maindealer only parts from for your cars after all the MDs have folded?

Whats the difference between a USED Focus and a new "£17K plastic vented 1.4L Golf"?

The OP does'nt want a USED Focus!

I hope thats cleared things up for you ;o)