1999 1.8 Bad egg smell from exhaust pipe ? - jp147
When I arrived home and my Ford Focus 1.8 (petrol) was idling I noticed a smell of bad eggs so I got out of the car and bent down to smell near the exhaust and I think it is coming from there.

I have read on motoring websites that this can be caused by a bad catalytic converter and if so what other symptoms are hallmarks of a failing cat. converter.

Also it says that another cause of the bad smell is if the engine has mechanical problems - what do they mean by this and how can I find out ?

The engine has covered about 78 000 miles and is a 1999 model
1999 1.8 Bad egg smell from exhaust pipe ? - Number_Cruncher
It's a fairly normal smell from a cat - nothing to worry about. Had you just done a short trip?

All this worry about your old Focus - it can't be doing you any good!

1999 1.8 Bad egg smell from exhaust pipe ? - Dynamic Dave
Has this only occurred since you last filled up with fuel? If so, then maybe the fuel wasn't low sulphur.
1999 1.8 Bad egg smell from exhaust pipe ? - tony@tooting
A strong smell is not so much a bad CAT. It's more a case of an overworked CAT. In other words, it could be getting to much fuel. If the car was still cold, I wouldn't worry, if the car was hot, then I would get the emmisions checked.
1999 1.8 Bad egg smell from exhaust pipe ? - jc2
It is also more likely to occur if a non-manufacturer's cat has been fitted.Another reason why some replacment parts are cheap-they don't use the same washcoats in the cat manufacture and H2S is produced.