Car Insurance rise - nortones2
Just had invitation to renew from January 2009. Two vehicles, both Honda, nothing out of the very ordinary. Price rise 7.7% over last year, 15% since 2007. No change in our circumstances. Is this sort of rise to be expected?

I will shop around to a limited extent, but thus far the price has been competitive. I'm reluctant to use comparison sites as they leak details, resulting in pesky sales calls. If the rise is not too out of kilter I'll probably end up staying with the current insurer. It would be helpful if other BR's recently renewing, could comment.
Car Insurance rise - ohsoslow
I have recently renewed the insurance for both of my cars, again nothing exotic. The renewal price was up on both about the same as yours. I went for a quote from the Post Office which was and still may be giving £50 money back. Then phoned original insurance co giving them the Post Office quote including the money back offer. They then reduced their price to match the Post Office less £5 more.

Worth a try.
Car Insurance rise - geoff1248
If the renewal notice came through the post try going on their web site and inputting your details as a new customer. I bet it will result in a much lower quote.
Car Insurance rise - LondonBus
Always worth shopping around on insurance. You get skinned for loyalty - usually.

I;m with Admiral and have been able to get them to cut their renewal quotes by getting quotes from Bell and Elephant - which are sister companies and generally quoted much better prices.
Car Insurance rise - Falkirk Bairn
Alwayworth a phone round

I have been with Esure for 7 yrs and every year the premium has been slightly less than the year before. Checked on Tescocompare.com - esure was less there - they matched their own price on Tesco and that cut £20+

Total of £300 for Xtrail (57 reg) (£152) & 2 ltr Mazda Xedos (S Reg) (£147)
Car Insurance rise - oldnotbold
"I'm reluctant to use comparison sites as they leak details, resulting in pesky sales calls."

Don't put in your phone number, then, or put it in wrong. When you get the best price just tell the company go with your real/correct number.
Car Insurance rise - daveyjp
Just renewing for the Aygo - last year £180 (price match), this year £220 with Swinton. E-sure will do it for less, but no price match this time from Swinton.

E-sure via quidco is £220 with £40 cash back, direct it's £180.

We used a comparison site and Quinn wanted £875!

Thanks for the comments. I've done as Geoff1248 suggested. Looks like a saving of £150 can be achieved on a total of £504, just by going online with the same company. LV. I rang LV to enquire why a 35% difference:) SFAIK, exactly the same terms. They dropped their call-centre quote by £40, but that's not going to be adequate. I'll double check terms and conditions, but I think we'll go online or with another insurer.
Just to update: I was optimistic. When I factored in the effect of NCB entitlement, I found that only the policyholder can claim NCB. LV say this is the situation. So, my wife would have to start from scratch if we went to separate, on-line quotes. Still saves £80 though, this year. I think I'm right: NCB only goes to the policyholder? It seems unjust though.
Car Insurance rise - Altea Ego
"I'm reluctant to use comparison sites as they leak details resulting in pesky sales calls."
Don't put in your phone number then or put it in wrong. When you get
the best price just tell the company go with your real/correct number.

You make up a false "you"

I am for example

Mr Moby Dick
moby.dick@pequod.com

use a phone number a couple of digits out, the next post code to yours and the wrong house number.

Car Insurance rise - Dulwich Estate
I always use "Mr Truly False" - never causes me a problem.
Car Insurance rise - FotheringtonThomas
That's what I do. The use of "throwaway" e-mail accounts is also recommended. Make sure that details you do provide don't really point to someone else!
Car Insurance rise - pmh2
The Norwich Union renewal came in at a small increase at the begining of December. A quick call to the renewal line with 'I would like to renew but..........' resulted in an immediate reduction of about 15%.

So they kept the business.

Not the cheapest but continuity does make life easier.

p