05 1.8 Has the Auxiliary drive belt tensioner seiz - Norman77
MK 1 Petrol version (old shape) 65k miles
Evening BRs Hope you can offer some advice.

Drive belt which runs the power steering/aircon/alternator has worn out. It slips worst first thing in the morning.

Bought a new belt and went to slacken the tensioner as per the Haynes manual by turning the bolt in the middle. Only problem is it is stuck fast. Had a long 1/2" spanner on it with a breaker bar but that did nothing.

The tensioner rotates perfectly and quietly when the engine is running. It is sprung loaded, but i cannot fathom out if i am doing something wrong when trying to move it.

Help! and thanks.

05 1.8 Has the Auxiliary drive belt tensioner seiz - yorkiebar
Tried moving it in the opposite direction?

Its just retained by a bolt, so it should just loosen the bolt in the oppsite direction. Dont try to remove the bolt, just check it undoes?

Then retry with the same effort needed to loosen the bolt. Cant see how it cant move unless the spring is broken/wedged .

hth
05 1.8 Has the Auxiliary drive belt tensioner seiz - L'escargot
Haynes says "Using a spanner on the tensioner centre bolt, turn the tensioner clockwise to release the drivebelt tension."
05 1.8 Has the Auxiliary drive belt tensioner seiz - Javalin
On the fiesta manual the Haynes has the clockwise/anticlockwise mixed up. Clockwise - i.e. tightening it, is the way to go.

J
05 1.8 Has the Auxiliary drive belt tensioner seiz - MikeTorque
Generally clockwise tightens anticlockwise loosens.