Traffic light cameras - clarification - Rattle
I have just got through a light on amber as there was a speed/red light camera at the junction and I was worried I may not stop in time and go slightly over the line, I figured it was less risky to go through on amber rather trying to perform an emergency stop in wet conditions (I was only doing 25mph on approach so I wasn't speeding, and I was prepaired to stop it just changed at the last possible second).

So I went through the lights on amber and speed up a bit to exist the crossing although I can't see I could have done more than 30.

Am I right in thinking this cameras only work if you cross the line when the light is on red? Is there any buffer once its on red? or does the camera trigger the second the light changes to red? I assume the amber light is the buffer in this case.

I am just getting paranoid, I have only done 10 miles and must have passed at least 8 cameras.

This is not a debate on cameras as this had been done couintless times on here, I just want to know how the red light cameras work for future reference. Thanks.

Is it possible to get 6 points from these cameras e.g if you are speeding and go through on red? or is it all counted as one offence? I have read different things on legal forums.

I don't speed not jump lights but as humans we all make mistakes and that is what I am worried about.

Edited by Rattle on 20/12/2008 at 15:43

Top Reply

Traffic light cameras - clarification - LondonBus
Traffic signal cameras for signal mode only go live when the signals are in their red phase.

Gatso cameras take one photo when the vehicle crosses the stop line. And a second photo one second later.

If a traffic signal camera is also a speed camera it will be live all the time.

Crossing the stop line when the signals are at amber (from green) is not an offence and will no trigger the camera.

All Replies

Traffic light cameras - clarification - Hamsafar
All the pictures I have seen have the lights on red, and have the rear wheel just over the stop line on the first picture and the car over the junction on the second picture (which is taken a preset time after the first depending on size of junction and speed limit).
In that case then if one was to stop over the line slightly for a ticket to be issued it would have to show the same vehicle being over the junction at the same time? If that is the case I may try and stop more in the future, I just figured it was better for my car to be shown going over the line on amber rather on red. If you are right then the system is safer than I thought as it dosn't encourage people to do what I did.

I always thought if you front wheels were over the stop line and the lights on red it is an automatic ticket.
Traffic light cameras - clarification - jc2
Every traffic light "jumped" would be a seperate offence just as four tyres below legal limit are four offences.
Traffic signal cameras for signal mode only go live when the signals are in their red phase.

Gatso cameras take one photo when the vehicle crosses the stop line. And a second photo one second later.

If a traffic signal camera is also a speed camera it will be live all the time.

Crossing the stop line when the signals are at amber (from green) is not an offence and will no trigger the camera.
Thanks, in future I know to just stop even if it means risking being over the stop line by about a foot, I may have gone slightly over 30 for a second when crossing the junction but it could have only been 31/32 and only for a second.

I will buy a sat nav after Christmas and set it to bleep if I go even 1mph over the limit which will allow me to concentrate more on that the road than speedo. I did 10 miles today and passed 8 gatsos.
I was involved in installation of the first red light cameras in Westminster in the early 1990s; the detection strategion involved the use of inductive loops in the road.

In the event you are forward of the stop line when the red light comes on, don't move'. You'll trigger the camera.
Traffic light cameras - clarification - AF
In the event you are forward of the stop line when the red light comes on don't move'. You'll trigger the camera.

Don't you mean "In the event you are only partially over the stop line when the red light comes on don't move'. You'll trigger the camera." since if your car is wholly past the stop line then you are allowed to continue.
Traffic light cameras - clarification - b308
Thanks in future I know to just stop

Rattle, just take your time and try to "read" the road ahead, you shouldn't have to stop across the white line... if its a regular piece of road you'll get to know how quickly the lights change and so can adjust your speed accordinglyso you can either get through or stop before the line...

Its all about anticipation, and, tbh, if you keep to the speed limits you shouldn't have any problem stopping before the line. Look for things like how long they've been on green, are other cars waiting at the lights (they will have triggered the sensors in the road so its likely the lights will change, if there are pedestrian lights included in them is there a pedestrian who may have pressed the button...

Don't get yourself all wound up, you will find that it will all come naturally in time... but don't rush!

I have a challenge which is to get from my house to work (19 miles, country A road and urban A road) without stopping, but not holding up other traffic, I've managed it several times and its all about anticipating what other road users and traffic lights will do... and it means smooth driving which does wonders for fuel consumption!
Traffic light cameras - clarification - rtj70
My instructor taught me that when approaching a light that is green (and has been for a while) then assume it will change before you get to it. If I see a red light I simple lift off the accelerator and you will then often find it is green before you get there.

When I used to drive into Cardiff, the lights from the M4 to the centre were timed such that if you did the limit you could drive in without stopping. The cars that speeded would have to stop. The speed cameras havbe changed this a bit.
Traffic light cameras - clarification - 1400ted
A traffic light related story in Manchester. On London Road there are a set of lights which stop traffic and let trams cross the road from the Piccadilly undercroft from the left. The lights have the appearance of a pelican crossing. Drivers who are unaware of this junction can go through on green and be confronted by standing traffic in front of them. Fortunately there is a yellow box junction keeping the tramlines clear but there are a couple of car lenghts between the lights and the box. So, if you're held up by traffic you stop before the box. Trouble is, you've gone past the only visible signals so you have no idea if another 52 ton tram is going to burst out of the undercroft as you move ahead with the clearing of the traffic. The only way to be sure is for traffic behind you to sound their horns to get you to move. But what if there is no one behind ? Do you risk it or wait for someone to arrive and honk you ?
There's going to be an almighty smash some time in the future !
Ted
Traffic light cameras - clarification - mss1tw
Anyone drive the A308 into Sunbury? What hateful traffic light timing that road has...(And cameras)
Traffic light cameras - clarification - Leif
On a related topic, today I found a junction where it is impossible to turn right except on a red light. Basically the light turns to red while the light for oncoming traffic in the opposite lane is at green. Some roads are odd.
Ted something similar happened to me a few weeks back when turning right from Heaton Mersey into Parrs Wood in East Didsbury. I finally managrd to clear my exist and got confronted with a red lght. The red light stayed on red, and stayed there. A load of people beeped me then some prick got out and threatened me so I had to move, as far as I aware I had to jump a red light. I wasn't worried as if I got caught the camera should have also picked up the road rage incident.

I am also aware of how to deal with lights, these were on green a long time, I so I slowed down on approach the problem is they change to amber as I apprached as I was going slow, so I had to go through on amber and increase my speed, but as I was going slow it should be ok. The problem is the camera made me do a potential dangerious action, if the camera was not there I would have stopped without a second thought.

It is the same with the cameras in Stetford I pay far too much attention to my speed than the road itself because the 6 point and you're a learner rule makes me paranoid.

it is so bad I am considering giving up driving until the two years have passed. You have to pretty dumb to loose a licence on 12 points, but 6 points is all too easy.
Traffic light cameras - clarification - b308
Quite honestly m8 you are getting far too paranoid... there are thousands of new drivers around in the same boat as you and most of them seem to cope... we've all given you lots of advice on how to control your speed to avoid speeding (use of correct gear, etc) and how to read the road... take your time and you'll be ok, you haven't got a fast car which should make it easier...

OK you could wait two years but I've heard nothing yet from you which makes me think that you'll behave any differently then... being able to drive smoothly and within limits will only come with practice... you haven't got any points yet so take heart 'cause you must be something right!

Keep at it don't give up!

Edited by b308 on 21/12/2008 at 09:12