2000 2.0hdi - fuel pump - richbev
we have a 2.0 hdi x reg xara and it has developed a fuel pump fault. It starts then drives about 100 metres then stops. wait a few minutes and it will start then run about the same distance the stop. The garage said its the fuel pump and that it could need the whole fuel system changing. We found fillings in the fuel filter. when the car runs it runs well and same as it has for the few months we have owned it. My question is would it be worth changing the pump in the tank for a 2nd hand 1 to try and get it home. would this work. The garage also told us that if we put a new pump in and thats doesnt work it will destroy the new punp??? is this correct. Many thanks Rich

Edited by Dynamic Dave on 19/12/2008 at 18:28

2000 2.0hdi - fuel pump - dereckr
Assuming that the garage diagnosis is correct, if the in-tank pump is faulty, the danger is that debris from Its break-up can get to the high pressure pump. Such debris would have to get by the canister filter first. I would replace the in tank pump, change the filter and hope for the best. If the car is worth keeping (what?s the mileage and condition?), I would fit a new pump; there must always be a risk with a second hand component. I don?t understand the comment about destroying the new pump?I?m not sure you have interpreted what they have said correctly.
There have been a number of posters on this site complaining that the PSA designed filter on these is poor, the inference being that they can let debris escape into the high pressure pump feed line when the filter element is replaced. There are two different designs on this engine. The one on my 2002 Xsara, is different to the earlier one. Maybe the later one is better? In any case I remove the whole assembly, remove the element and discard the remaining fuel, swill out the canister with meths, let it dry and re-assemble with a new filter. I would check the filter again for debris at the next service.

Good luck.
2000 2.0hdi - fuel pump - the helpfull biker
I have just repaired a 90hp hdi (2002) with similar running faults for around £8.00. When started, the engine management light was on and it was running up to around 1500-2000 rpm, then just cut out. it would then restart after a couple of mins later. the initial problem was thick black smoke from the exhaust with very rough running for short periods. I took it to my local garage and had it put on a snap-on diagnosis machine that came up with around 7 faults. Once i was quoted telephone numbers to repair it, i decided to give it a go myself. I started by taking the sender out from the fuel tank, stripping it and cleaning it. It looked like a giant slug fell out (a large gooey deposit) when i removed the tank filter. this was reasembeled and then i went on to the front fuel filter. I removed the whole canister to disasemble and found the fuel filter completeley blocked looking like a lump of coal. This was replaced with a cooper filter, topped up with diesel and refitted. On the initial restarting of the car, it coughed for about 10 mins, not knowing i should of bled the system out and also the fuel guage ceased to register over the orange light mark. Once past this what seemed a nightmare not wanting to end, the car ran first class with the engine management light clearing itself, and the fuel guage nearly correcting itself after i filled it right up to the brim.

While writing, Please can someone tell me how to adjust the headlamp height, on a 2002 xsara, as i fitted a new lefthand one that is pointing about 3feet in front of the car. Thanks.
2000 2.0hdi - fuel pump - richbev
derek thanks for the reply. id say the car is worth keeping its a service history tidy thing. The man at the garage pluged some sort of code reader in the car and came back with low fuel pressure. he didnt say were or what just that he wasnt sure and if he replaced 1 part and that didnt work the new part would soon be destroyed. it seemed to me he didnt really know what he was talking about or how to read his code reader correctly. we did find what looked to be copper slip in the fuel filter when we serviced the car 3 months ago so cleaned it out. wasnt really sure were it had come from but the car was still running ok. now this happened . the garage man told us if he started replacing parts the total bill could come to 2000.00 if all the fuel system needed changing which the car isnt worth. my thought was to change the in tank pump and filter and see how she goes.

SNIPQUOTE!!!!!

Edited by Dynamic Dave on 10/01/2009 at 02:59