Restoring leather steering wheel - Roger Jones
Any tips on restoring parts of the surface of a leather-covered steering wheel to the still shiny and smooth condition of most of it? A patch has worn into a matt finish that feels uncomfortable and, of course, gathers gunge more quickly. Alternatively, are there any companies that specialize in replacing leather covers on steering wheels?
Restoring leather steering wheel - crazed
probably cheaper to buy a new wheel

if its a jag its best if you know someone in the leather shop at browns lane, and buy them a few beers...

Restoring leather steering wheel - Cyd
A company called I M Kelly near Kettering make leather covered steering wheels for many OEMs - Can't say whether they would take on a private recon job.

Or - try some leather trim paint from somewhere like Demon Tweeks (www.demon-tweeks.com) - the leather on wheels is painted anyway!
"the leather on wheels is painted anyway"

b**l**cks - where did you get that nonsense from

is this a kia leather wheel ?
From the people who make them! I've also got several small pots of various coloured leather paint filched from the prototype shops at work. We use it for touching up leather on seats mainly. Work being one of the worlds largest automotive interiors suppliers.

If you still don't believe me then take a rag soaked in acetone (nail varnish remover) to your leather steering wheel and see what comes off on the cloth and what the wheel looks like afterwards.

Of course, we're not talking Dulux Weathershield here - it's special stuff applied by the leather suppliers before the blanks are cut. "Paint" is admitedly a rather loose description here.

Don't swear - didn't your mother teach you it's rude.
Restoring leather steering wheel - Dizzy {P}
Like crazed, I thought the leather people just used the black part of cows and threw the white bit away. ;-)
ha ha ha ha ha ha ha

ive been round a few leather shops

although admittedly at the top end of the market

paint isnt the word i would use to describe what they use

but hey im no leather guru
Restoring leather steering wheel - blank
Naah, they turn the white bits into stillettos for sale in Chelmsford.
Restoring leather steering wheel - <0.One%
"Paint" is admitedly a rather loose description here.

I think the word you are looking for is "dye".

You can get various colours from shoe-repair shops, Woolies, Wilkinsons, etc.
Checked with a fellow engineer at work today who looks after leather components. After treatment the hides are spray painted and laquered along with other treatments. It is a solvent based paint, about the same consistancy as cellulose that has been thinned ready for spraying onto body work. I don't know if this painting is specific to the automotive industry though.
Restoring leather steering wheel - RichardBW
You could try hide food as used on leather furniture and car seats. You can get it from most supermarkets among the polishes, but DO NOT use shoe polish for obvious reaons....