2003 2.0 tdci 130 - average mpg gauge - bigmennie
hi i was just wondering does anybody elses mondeos average fuel consumption gauge does it go down in mpg when the car is stood still when it is running as i thought my car was being poor on fuel and i have just realised that everytime i stop at a junction or to stop at anytime while my engine is running the mpg will go down even though iam not moving and takes ages to go back up as i do urban driving and it says iam doing on average 25 mpg i know thats wrong can anyone help

Edited by Webmaster on 19/12/2008 at 01:30

2003 2.0 tdci 130 - average mpg gauge - Andrew Moorey (Tune-Up)
Yes thats right because its only showing a display of the fuel consumed on the trip so when the car is not moving its still consuming fuel hence your mpg goes down. On my Merc if you are stationary for a few minutes it can drop by several mpg. When you start the engine it shows 20.2 mpg but by the time I have let it idle for 5 minutes while closing the garage, locking the gates and loading the circus its down to 16.
2003 2.0 tdci 130 - average mpg gauge - Altea Ego
you have just found out why you use more fuel in town.
yes but it never did this before it would read around 33 mpg and never go down thats why iam asking if anybody elses mondeo does it cos it dosent go down when iam driving goes up and when you are driving you are useing more fuel than when your stationary the mpg reader should never go down when your stood
2003 2.0 tdci 130 - average mpg gauge - Altea Ego
>the mpg reader should never go down when your stood

err

yes it will, you are using fuel.
2003 2.0 tdci 130 - average mpg gauge - yorkiebar
using fuel and not doing any miles either.

Its the worst thing for mpg, being stood still with the engine running !
i said it never went down before its only bin recently going down when stood and yes i will be using fuel when it is stood but not much the mpg reader does an average over a certain amount of miles not when the car is stood so what your saying is i can do 53 mpg stop at the lights theniam suddenly have done an average of 30 mpg it goes down really quick and takes ages going back up thats why iam asking if anybody elses mondeo does this and i take it you dont have 1 or a mpg reader in the car you have
2003 2.0 tdci 130 - average mpg gauge - pmh
i said it never went down before its only bin recently going down when stood

Probably because you are now integrating the reading over a short distance (time) period. If you have recently reset it, (or had the battery off?), the effect of stationary consumption will be much more marked.

pmh
2003 2.0 tdci 130 - average mpg gauge - pd

If in 15 minutes you have used 0.5 gallons of fuel and covered 15 miles it will read 30.0mpg.

If you then stop and leave the engine running for 5 minutes and it uses 0.1 gallons of fuel at idle going nowhere you will have still covered 15 miles ut now used 0.6 gallons in 20 minutes so the mpg read out will now be 25mpg.