96 1.3 Slipping clutch - can this cause lumpyness? - Rattle
Sorry for the people who have read me mention this on my other thread, I thought a lot of people who post in tehncical may have missed it and I can't seem to get any answer.

My car started to become lumpy in 3rd gear, and just after the clutch has started to the slip. If I got a new plate and release bearing would this likely to cause the problem or would I have more big bills?

Edited by Dynamic Dave on 16/12/2008 at 23:53

1996 1.3 Slipping clutch - could this cause lumpyn - oilrag
Rattle, "lumpy" ... Can you be descriptive about what you mean by that - putting all the control inputs and other variables ,( other gears, revs,speed, load,hot, cold, duration, frequency - constant or occasional ) that are happening when it occurs?

Edited by oilrag on 16/12/2008 at 12:57

1996 1.3 Slipping clutch - could this cause lumpyn - Armitage Shanks {p}
I thought your clutch had failed completely? As oilrag asks, lumpy as in misfire, fuel starvation, bocked fuel filter, broken or loose engine mounting, so the list goes on.

Edited by Armitage Shanks {p} on 16/12/2008 at 13:19

1996 1.3 Slipping clutch - could this cause lumpyn - Rattle
Ok some more information.

The car idles perfectly on all fall cylinders, the engine seems smooth, engine mounts seem ok (no vibrations etc).

The lumpy is hard to describe. I would be doing say 25-29mph in 3rd and everything is very smooth then all the sudden it will start being jumpy, but there is no hesertation when accelerating and all four cylinders are firing.

Is this fuel starvation or would a slipping clutch cause this if the drive shaft wasn't properly connected to the wheels? e.g could it be a fualty flywheel causing the wheels to suddenly slow down when engine revs are constant?

The lumpyness happens when I am driving in a straight line at a constant speed it dosn't always do it.

Edit the clutch is only occassionaly slipping, sometimes at lights it just revs and not move, and up hill I have to put about 5000rpm on just to get the thing to move!

Edited by Rattle on 16/12/2008 at 14:19

1996 1.3 Slipping clutch - could this cause lumpyn - mfarrow
Please describe jumpy.
It is very hard to, its not really hesertation or jerkyness, but if feels like I am constantly depressing and pressing the throttle cable but as far as I can work out engine revs don;t seem to change when this is happening. It is like the engine is happily revving at 2500-3000rpm, it feels more like somebody is stamping on the brakes gently but I am pretty sure the brakes are not being applied.

Having just described that, it seems its not the engine but more the transmission/drive shaft area so I am wonder if a dodhy clutch release bearing could be causing this?
1996 1.3 Slipping clutch - could this cause lumpyn - Peter.N.
Is 'snatching' the word you are looking for? You can get this in the transmission at very low revs but it would normally do this in all gears, it sounds as though what you have is a misfire at that particular speed. Its unlikely to be related to the clutch slip.
Well considering the plugs are rusted into the block fixing a miss fire could be expensive, why would it miss fire at a certain speed though? Wouldn't that be ECU related? I am pale as a sheep, I feel sick and now feel like I have lost £100's, I can see a dismanteling project going on after Christmas as I need to get some money back out of this miss, I need my health back
1996 1.3 Slipping clutch - could this cause lumpyn - mfarrow
Well considering the plugs are rusted into the block

Have you tried to remove them?

Get the clutch fixed and see if the problem goes away. Most mis-fires caused by failing ignition components happen under load, which this is clearly not.
Yep it only happens when the car is a constant speed, the engine revs seem to be stay the same but the car slows then then picks up again etc.
1996 1.3 Slipping clutch - could this cause lumpyn - FotheringtonThomas
the clutch has started to the slip

Are you really sure? Stick it in 2nd, pottering along at low speed, and floor it. If the engine revs up without your going much (or any) faster you've got clutch slip (or are driving on something very slippery).

"Lumpy" running is not a symptom of clutch slip.

If you can't get the plugs out then that's yet another pointer to scrapping the thing being a Good Idea.
1996 1.3 Slipping clutch - could this cause lumpyn - rtj70
Are you sure when the problem happens the revs stay up? I once had a problem on a Mk III Fiesta where the fuel line was picking up dirt from the petrol tank and blocking. An in-line filter sorted that. But you say the revs are okay.

Do try what FT suggests - check if the clutch is slipping.
The Ka lot have suggested just bolted on a new cylinder head if I can't get the plugs out, I can source one from there, but I am not sure if the job is as easy as it sounds, it is OHV so its much easier than changing the cylinder head on an OVC, I could change the HG while I am there but it sounds too complex.

If I scrap the thing I will ask my grandma if she would store it for me while I have fun dismanteling it as I will get to learn how to spanner without worrying about braking something.

As for the clutch I was originally 100% certain it was the clutch but now I am not, when I drove it with my dad the only sympton was lumypness, but I am sure once the car failed to move at lights, I am going to test this properly though as it may be imagination playing tricks the biting point is quite high though and at least twice there has been a strong friction smell after the car failed to move, so even if its not the clutch causing the running problems I am pretty sure its on its last legs.

I have been offered to £220 for it, but considering I paid £350, spent £200 on getting it road worthy I would rather keep it as a project. There is no rev counter which makes it a bit trickier to know for sure if the revs are falling or not when it is lumpy. I will do another test tomorrow for the purpose of answering each question for sure. I have let it get low on fuel twice so it may well be a partial blockage it seems odd that it will accelerate perfectly ok and quickly (apart from clutch slippage) and it only starts juddering at a constant speed though.

Edit with the clutch is it fairly normal to only slip occassionaly or if its warn will it do it every time?

Edited by Rattle on 16/12/2008 at 18:13

1996 1.3 Slipping clutch - could this cause lumpyn - bbroomlea{P}
have been offered to £220 for it, but considering I paid £350, spent £200 on getting it road worthy I would rather keep it as a project

I would take the money and run. You are likely not to get that much back in parts and it sounds like its at the end of the road - quite literally.

GIve the problem to someone else and move on. £130 depreciation is about as good as your going to get - how long have you had it? Maintenance/repairs are unfortunately a cost of motoring and unavoidable and worth no extra when it comes to sell - its dead money!!
That was £220 when it was just a slipping clutch! Now it sounds like this running problem is another problem I expect to get less. I have only advertised it in gumtree though, I expect on ebay £220 would be easy. I suppose this car has made a me a lot more confident at driving, I have learnt a lot about myself (I am too trusting) and in future when I look at cars I will spend a few hours looking over them.

I've had it for just under two months :( done just under 300 miles in it that is why I am a bit bitter. It was running perfeclty when I had the tyres done.

Anyway mods I am a bit worried this thread is turning into my last one, the thread has established that the running problem may not be the clutch I could spent £160 on a new clutch and still be back to square one. I've always told my dad to get rid of his car - he never listened spent another £300 repairs only for in two more months time its scrapped. So if you want to close this or merge it please feel free.
Edit also forget to the mention the buzzing noise it sometimes makes under the bonnet, I am pretty sure that must be related as it sounds like its from the fuel pump area.
1996 1.3 Slipping clutch - could this cause lumpyn - bbroomlea{P}
Although you have only had it 2 months, thats still only 800odd quid a year depreciation if you roll it up and you have obviously been unlucky. For all of these problems to manifest in 300 miles means they have probably been underlying for far longer and a good bet as to why someone has sold it on in the first place.

Personally, I wouldnt spend another penny on it - you say its had new sills so obviously got a rot problem, its not running right, plugs cant be changed and you have an issue with it taking up drive - its not worth the time or money to put right.

If you want to recoup some of the cost of changing the tyres, weigh the car in and take the wheels home with you and put them on ebay - no doubt be a popular size and someone will snap them up - mate has just paid £60 off ebay for two almost new branded tyres for his car - I wouldnt do it but many do....
Thanks I think the seller could have been genuine but also quite ignorant, I was also ignorant due to trust, I admit I didn't do all the checks if this is £1000 a car I would have done them all but I rushed into it, I have myself to blame and I am not bitter about the car, just myself.

I've looked at Fiestas a year back for my dad and walked away from the ones with rusted plugs, so goodness knows how I didn't even bother to check this time.

As its running and I have had good money before I think ebay is my best bet especialy as scrap is now worthless. There is also the issue of a possible coolant leak and I know I have to spend money on new brake pipes, so even with a new clutch this car is far from perfect.

Sorry for my posts I feel daft about it.

Looks like I will be carless for a bit.

Edited by Webmaster on 17/12/2008 at 01:00

1996 1.3 Slipping clutch - could this cause lumpyn - rtj70
When my Fiesta MkIII had problems with the fuel tank it would "hop down the road". Engine was missing every now and then. Got the lines blown out a few times and the problem kept coming back hence the inline filter.
"I know I have to spend money on new brake pipes,"

Buy a tub of grease and wipe it on, it can be done without ramps.

Look at it this way Rattle, Its given you more confidence in driving and more awareness of how to drive to save the clutch - you have tackled jobs on it and learnt from doing that and are now in a better position for the next car. (if you decide not to repair this one)

I like your idea of keeping it for spares at your Gran`s - you could really get spannering confidence that way. The other thing is you are becoming quite knowledgeable about Fiestas - to me it would be a shame to move to a different make and model now that you have the insight.

Why not just MOT it right now - to help decide which way to go with it?

Edited by oilrag on 17/12/2008 at 07:53

I ran out for about 2 miles being careful not to ride the clutch, didn't slip once. Then went home let the engine run a bit more, once fully at temperature I reved the nuts off the engine, some crap came out the back! Then all smoke went completly, did another 20 miles in it round the block (in case it broke down), the clutch didn't stlip once and wasn't lumpy.

It seems a lot of the driving problems may have been due tot he fact I let it get too low of fuel allowing crap to get into the system, it is still early days and of course the problem may well come back.

I then drove to my mechanic asked him to remove the spare wheel tray which keeps falling down, he did removed and again told me there is nothing wrong with the brakes.

I feel a lot happier now, the car was running perfectly today, very smooth (for an Endura), no miss fires no nothing. I will continue to run it now and in the new year will get a second opinion about chasis rust (if there is any), brakes and the rear roll bar or drop link bush (what ever is making a knock)

I wonder if it was clutch judder, caused by dampness sometimes and not being used? Perhaps if you drive it gently with the clutch in mind, it will last the car out. Be careful revving an old petrol engine in neutral, its easy to overdo it and damage the engine.

Edited by oilrag on 18/12/2008 at 15:29

Possibly the good thing about this excerise though is even when I was reving the engine (upto about 4500rpm) there was no smoke at all (just the usual puff) no blue smoke, no rattles, no knocking noise, apart from the tapets my engine sounds brand new, which is pretty good since it has basically had no maintance before I bought it.

It just drove like it did when I bought it.

I am aware the problem might come back, but it now means I have a lot more time to decide what to do. Providing it still behaves in the new year I will take my car to another garage to get second opinions the safety aspects and if that comes out ok I will be very happy.

So now I have passed my test, got used to dealing with traffic on my own, it is now time to learn to drive for mechanical sympathy, so no more riding the clutch from me :). My uncle drives like he has a lot of eggs on the roof and I may try and drive like that although these engines were also known for being rough.
I`m about 50 miles East of you Rattle and its 10C outside instead of -1C , of the last few days. That`s going to help it run better too from cold.

I wish you could stay away from those garages for second opinions ;)

Edited by oilrag on 18/12/2008 at 15:46