Alloy wheels - GroovyMucker
Going over potholes has buckled ? I am told ? two of my alloy wheels. (The Toyota garage didn?t mention the damage when it replaced one of the tyres; the independent tyre place didn?t say anything when it replaced another; but hey-ho.)

Toyota invite me to replace these wheels at £230 each. Tyres would be extra.

It seems to me that I can get a set of 4, with tyres, for the cost of two wheels. I would be happy with the cheapest reliable option.

The problem is I am coming across names I associate with being spotty and 17 (Wolfrace, for example) and I have no idea what sort of wheels are appropriate to a middle-aged gent who values reliability and anonymity above bling. What are the sensible options?

If anyone has done this, is it likely to be a change the insurers charge for?

I would be prepared to buy 5 wheels in order to avoid having to replace the lot in due course when I buckle them again ? I gather this will require a special negotiation ? and I wonder if anyone has done this, and how much the extra one costs.

Are steel wheels an option?

The OE wheel is 215 50 17, which suits the car (or perhaps my usually sedate driving) very well. Most of the wheel websites offer only ? 45 ? or even ? 40 ?. Is this likely to make a difference?

Alloy wheels - Alby Back
I once found a company via flea bay which would let you "trade in" your old alloys against re-furbed ones. Sorry I haven't got a link but I guess a bit of searching might turn them up. I suspect it would a lot cheaper than buying new ones.
Alloy wheels - Andy P
What you need are 17" alloys with the correct offset and bolt pattern. If you get the first one wrong you may end up with your tyres rubbing against the inside of the wheel arch. Get the second one wrong and...well, they won;t fit.

Try here for some ideas: www.wheel-base.co.uk/
Alloy wheels - Alby Back
Found it !! It's a company called PX Wheels in Blackpool. Don't know how to do a "tiny owl" thing sorry.....

I went into Flea Bay and searched with "Alloy wheel exchange Toyota"
Alloy wheels - adverse camber
>>The OE wheel is 215 50 17, which suits the car (or perhaps my usually sedate driving) very well. Most of the wheel websites offer only ? 45 ? or even ? 40 ?. Is this likely to make a difference?

That is a tyre size not a wheel size.

You need to be looking for something like 17J8H2ET35 5x112 (NOTE- that is not the correct wheel size for you - just one I made up on the spot) and dont forget the bore size...

You dont want to go to any lower profile. (just means less rubber to cover the wheel). I would think about putting 16" wheels on instead - was that an option ? Could you get a set of original 16" ones anywhere?

Actually a quick search of ebay says that yes some avensis had 16" wheels.

Edited by adverse camber on 12/12/2008 at 18:36

Alloy wheels - GroovyMucker
Humph: thanks.

AC: would that not alter the handling of the car, which I like? Or entail another opportunity for my grocery store insurer to add another fee? (Next time it's Flux!)
Alloy wheels - adverse camber
Yes, a more compliant ride and possibly slightly less taught turn-in. But Avensises never stuck me as getting driven to within an inch of their lives?

17/18" wheels are fashion statements on ordinary road cars (imho. I prefered my 911 with the 16" wheels over the 17".).

If you are regularly driving over badly potholed roads then the lower the profile the higher the chance of wheel/tyre damage.

I would check the specs - was 17" an option or standard? Maybe check your local dealer and see if they have one in with 16" wheels and have a test drive?