1999 1.8 Cold weather starting - jp147
I had an oil change last month and they initially used 10W/40 oil but then I insisted they change the oil and use the recommended 5W/30 oil. I noticed first thing this morning (after a sub zero temperature night) that it took 3 attempts to start the engine. Now I feel paranoid that they left the 10W/40 oil in the engine and this is what is causing the starting trouble. The battery is about 3 years old and is a heavy duty one.

Do you think the car is just suffering from normal winter starting trouble or do you think it is to do with the oil.
1999 1.8 Cold weather starting - MikeTorque
If in doubt get the oil and filter changed again and ensure you stand over them whilst they do it, you'll sleep easier as well. Whichever garage you used it's worth considering using another one that knows the correct oil for this engine, it should be 5w/30.
Otherwise buy your own oil and filter and ask a garage to do the oil and filter change for you, there are plenty around who will offer this type of service for a few quid.

The engine should start first time, albeit the engine may need to turn a few turns on a cold morning but if everything is ok it should fire up first time.

What fuel brand are you using and do you have a mixture of different brand in the fuel tank ? Some brands work better in cold weather, also mixing different fuel brands dilutes the additives which can result in starting problems.

If the battery is suspect the engine will turn over slower with each attempt of starting. Otherwise the battery performance can be tested by someone like Halfords or a garage.
1999 1.8 Cold weather starting ? - jp147
My car has a 1.8 Zetec E petrol engine.

I had an oil change last month and they initially used 10W/40 oil but then I insisted they change the oil and use the recommended 5W/30 oil. I noticed first thing this morning (after a sub zero temperature night) that it took 3 attempts to start the engine. Now I feel paranoid that they left the 10W/40 oil in the engine and this is what is causing the starting trouble and also I think the car does not accelerate between 2000-3000 rpm as it should (maybe I am imagining this)

Do you think the car is just suffering from normal winter starting trouble or do you think it is to do with the oil

{rather than posting a new message, why not just 'bump' up the existing one from a couple of days ago? - which, btw I have now tagged this message onto}

Edited by Dynamic Dave on 14/12/2008 at 01:17