mazda 323f? - jojo
Hi

I am looking at changing my car (present K reg Citroen ZX 1.4 Avantage which has had a whole heap of problems - shot driveshafts, oil leaks etc.) and am considering an older 89-94 Mazda 323F, probably 1.6GLXi, as I have always kinda liked the styling of these cars. I have researched the market and these cars seem a pretty good bet, sound mechanics etc. Does anyone have any views on these and are there any known bad problems I should be aware of. I have a fairly limited budget circa 2K and plan to trade in ZX although I know I won't get much for it! Also any other ideas of what to get would be good, looking for 4 door hatch type of thang!
mazda 323f? - Rob E
Jojo,

The 323f gets a good verdict from HJ which is always a good sign!! Indeed, they are very reliable and were very well built, but as with any car of this age it is very important to get one which has been looked after and serviced regularly as this will dictate its reliability ultimately at this stage, no matter how sturdy they are! If you can get a good one, I'd say you'd be onto a winner. Be aware, however, that parts of all Japanese cars are more expensive than European counterparts, but they generally require less parts overall.

The factory paint finish of these Mazdas was superb, hence it should be easy to spot cosmetic accident repairs. 323fs seem to hold their prices well, and in my local area some go for silly money. A good local used dealer has a 93 K 323f stickered at £2495, so careful you don't pay over the odds.

Have you also considered a Toyota Corolla or Nissan Sunny, (likely to be slightly cheaper than 323f but just as reliable).

As is probably evident, I'm sold on the Japanese makes!

Good luck,
Regards,

Rob E
==========

mazda 323f? - Andrew Moorey (Tune-Up)
I look after several 323F's all of whichare 89-90 and all have 120k+. Apart from a couple of instances of front wheel abs sensors and one indicator/wiper switch assembly (£80) NO problems. A bit like the old 626 from the mid 80's if you service it properly you won't break it.
mazda 323f? - MarkL
Hi,

Owned a 323F 1.6i Pegasus for 5 years or so. Mazda started to recommend synthetic gearbox oil which helps with, but doesn't solve entirely, difficulty changing from 1st to 2nd on cold mornings before the oil warms up. This didn't affect all gearboxes, but did mine. Engine ran well, starting 1st time every time and never breaking down. Sold it at 99K miles. Apart from odd suspension creaks, it was still running well. Watch out for main dealer labour charges!

Great fun to drive as it's low to the ground and, to my mind, the suspension was pretty hard and fun. Not the nippiest of cars compared with modern 1.6's, but then the engine dates (apart from becoming fuel injected) from at least 1989.

Good buy, I think.

Mark.