Guardian readers reject Global Warming! [ReadOnly] - Lounge Lizard
I like to save money, so these days I hardly ever buy a newspaper, I just scan through the newspapers' web-sites.

Today, I was pleasantly quite taken aback by the aggressive Global Warming scepticism expressed in comments responding to a Guardian / Observer web-site article on 'How continually cooling global temperatures is not evidence that Global Warming is not happening'.

Here's a link to the article & comments: tinyurl.com/55apbv

I also note that Saturday's cross-Europe environmental demonstration day has been a cold, damp squib.

I'm starting to feel optimistic that the tide is starting to turn on the Great Global Warming Hoax.

The Conservatives are talking about dropping 'Green' taxes. The Eastern Europeans are insisting on continuing with coal-powered electricity generation. We're all worrying about the survival of the motor industry.

Motorists are amoungst the biggest victims of the Great Global Warming Hoax. It gives politicians an excuse to raise taxes on cars & driving, cut back on road-building, interfere in car-design.

One thing that's amazed me is the way 'Global Warming' has fallen out of the news since the credit crunch kicked in. Apparently, the survival of capitalism is more important than the survival of the human race!

Global Warming: The new secular religion of the post-materialist middle-classes.

Edited by Webmaster on 13/12/2008 at 12:18

Now even Guardian readers reject Global Warming! - Mr X
Thats why the tree huggers have decided to call it ' climate change " instead
That way they can cry ' the planets being killed " if it rains for 3 days on the run and the same if it doesn't rain for 3 days.
Now even Guardian readers reject Global Warming! - jbif
.. Global Warming scepticism expressed in comments responding to a Guardian

Definitive proof that Lounge Lizard is a Guardian reader.
.. cry ' the planets being killed " if it rains for 3 days on the run and the same if it doesn't

Mr X
Please go and give your reassuring guarantee to the Eskimo people and the citizens of the Maldives. Tell them that as a world renowned expert scientist on this matter, you can categorically promise them that all this climate change talk is nonsense and is nothing but a con by tree-huggers.

www.aib.subdivisions.co.uk/?p=2528

Edited by jbif on 07/12/2008 at 23:35

Now even Guardian readers reject Global Warming! - Manatee
OK I'll bite.

Are you guys still insisting that the earth is flat as well? Seems to me there's only one fail-safe response to the GW argument, and it isn't to ignore it.
Are you guys still insisting that the earth is flat as well? Seems to me there's only one fail-safe response to the GW argument and it isn't to ignore it. >>

But they won't be around to see the results. And even if they were, they would say that any "climate change" that was claimed to have been averted was by natural forces anyway and nothing to do with all the effort put in by the "tree-huggers". In other words, heads the sceptics win, tails you lose.

Edited by jbif on 07/12/2008 at 23:39

The ice caps are melting,,,,no hang on a minute, they're not,,,,,errr no they are but then again. And so it goes on , day in and day out. The motorist in this country has been vilified, taxed to the hilt and punished repeatedly and all because some one ' thinks " it might get too hot.....or is it too cold ?
Now even Guardian readers reject Global Warming! - jase1
This is the chief reason I decided long ago not to have children.

Regardless of whether imminent GW is the correct interpretation of the facts, the fact remains that the world is ready to hit a brick wall within a generation and I for one would rather sit back and laugh from the sidelines than have my own flesh and blood caught in the fallout from the greed inherent in current society.

Do what you like. I couldn't give a toss any more.
Do what you like. I couldn't give a toss any more.

I do have children. You'll forgive me, and them, if we don't give a toss about you?

How do you get yourself up every morning with your resigned outlook?

Edited by Manatee on 08/12/2008 at 07:30

I do have children. You'll forgive me and them if we don't give a toss
about you?

Kind of the point -- Too few people give a toss about anyone else but themselves.

That will be society's downfall, and I'm past caring -- nowt I can do about it.
Now even Guardian readers reject Global Warming! - deere3350
Kind of the point -- Too few people give a toss about anyone else but
themselves.
That will be society's downfall

Very true jase1.
Now even Guardian readers reject Global Warming! - FotheringtonThomas
The ice caps are melting no hang on a minute they're not errr no they
are but then again. And so it goes on day in and day out.

Well, are they melting, Mr X, or aren't they?

If sea level goes up, I might have to re-garage a car.
Now even Guardian readers reject Global Warming! - maz64
>> The ice caps are melting no hang on a minute they're not errr no
they
>> are but then again. And so it goes on day in and day out.
Well are they melting Mr X or aren't they?

I've seen lots of before/after pictures on the news apparently showing that they are melting - are there others showing the opposite?
Now even Guardian readers reject Global Warming! - Ian (Cape Town)
Global Warming: The new secular religion of the post-materialist middle-classes.

10-15 years ago, it was Aids charidees and appeals. Which appear to have gone quiet of late.

20 years back, everyone had those 'Nuclear power? No thanks' stickers. Yet there are still nuke tea-kettles springing up all over the place.

Now its global warming.

What's next year's bandwagon-leap?
Now even Guardian readers reject Global Warming! - L'escargot
Whatever happens, nature will find a way of compensating for it. It always has and it always will.

In the meantime, scientists will earn money studying "Global Warming". It's an ill wind .........

Edited by L'escargot on 08/12/2008 at 07:43

Nature isn't the problem -- there will still be life of some description in a million years' time.

Human civilisation -- different matter entirely.
Now even Guardian readers reject Global Warming! - Stuartli
Global cooling and warming has been going on for thousands (millions even) of years.

Go to Google and check out the coldest and warmest winters and similar summers just in the UK alone - it was long before the arrival of 4x4s, jet aeroplanes etc.

In fact in the 1600s there used to be ice fairs held on the Thames because the river froze over solidly during several winters.
Now even Guardian readers reject Global Warming! - MVP
The planet has always got hotter and colder , so climate change is always happening.

What is nonsense IMO is "man made" global warming.

Try turning your central heating on full pelt and opening all your windows and doors, see how much warmer your garden gets ;)

MVP
I wonder what sort of 4X4's led to the wiping out of the dinosaurs ?
I know one thing though, the closure of the Land Rover factory and those companies feeding it will leave the midlands with up to 6,000 people on the dole in one quick swoop.
I'm sure they will thank the tree huggers with all their heart.
news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/essex/7770513.stm
So we must not drive or fly for fear of changing the planet ( in their view 0
Boy I can't wait to see the look on their faces when scientists discover there is a great big meteorite on a collision course with earth that will wipe out half the planet. I will be intrigued as to how the government will tax that to prevent it !
I don't believe it!!
I open my Telegraph today and find this. I had only just written the words
www.telegraph.co.uk/scienceandtechnology/science/s...l

Looks like that something from space tax will be with us sooner than we think.
Now even Guardian readers reject Global Warming! - oilrag
You would think `tree huggers` would want more carbon dioxide in the atmosphere. Its surely just what trees/plants need to put on increased growth....
;)
snip

Edited by oilrag on 08/12/2008 at 09:05

Now even Guardian readers reject Global Warming! - stunorthants26
Ive always thought that, as a species, we are very arrogant as to think we can bring the destruction of an entire planet just by burning a few things.

One thing that always makes me smile, are those who say sea levels will rise and it will be a disaster - the answer is you buy a boat.

Human beings are unfortunatly attached to the notion of a planet that works in many different cycles, never changing.

Im not against reducing pollution - we dont know the 1000 year effects of it, but the problem is, so many people are seen to be 'on the take' as far as GW and pollution go, you cant help but be cycnical about the motivations of these people.
If it was done for the good of the world, rather than the good of someones retirement pot, then I would pay it more notice, and Im speaking as the driver of a low CO2 car.
The more you ' big up " a problem as a scientist / researcher, the more money a concerned government will throw at you to delve in to it , especially if it can see away of making some extra tax on the pretext of saving us. Now as the scientist / researcher, you aren't doing it for love, your doing it to earn a living. Hardly going to say ' all clear - nothing wrong" and risk loosing a very nice income.
Now even Guardian readers reject Global Warming! - mike hannon
Nice to see some healthy scepticism for a change.
It always seems to me to be incredibly arrogant to decide that this particular point in the earth's long cycles of temperature change is the one at which history must stop.
Yeah, if sea levels rise, buy a boat. If your local climate changes for the worse, go and live somewhere else. Man has had to do this ever since appearing on the planet so why should this time be any different?
Incidentally, last week I read that feed for 'organic' chickens in France is being shipped from China. That seems to sum up the sort of muddled thinking we have to cope with these days.

Edited by mike hannon on 08/12/2008 at 11:54

Global cooling and warming has been going on for thousands (millions even) of years.

In reply to Stuartli:
Go to Google and check out the debunking of the myths you have posted about the Thames and the UK's coldest/warmest seasons.
Start with searching for:
"Not everyone agrees that climate change is largely driven by human activity. Some believe the warming the planet is experiencing now is part of a natural cycle.
Historical anecdotes are sometimes used to support their case, but the new study debunks these claims. ....
· There were vineyards in the north of Britain
· The Vikings went to Greenland
· The Thames used to freeze over more often ..."

Also see what the metoffice has to say:
www.metoffice.gov.uk/corporate/pressoffice/myths/
Whatever happens, nature will find a way of compensating for it. It always has and it always will.

In reply to L'escargot:
Sure nature will survive. The difference with the current pace of climate change is worse than comparing the speed of a snail with that of a cheetah.
You may find this short well written pdf makes interesting reading:
www.societe.org.gg/planetguernsey/download/3_Histo...f

Now even Guardian readers reject Global Warming! - mattbod
Absolutely. I believe that things are changing but I tend to believe the science that these things are cyclical. 1700 years ago the Romans were growing wine in Northumberland which suggests that it was a lot warmer up there than it is now. The Climate Change issue seems to be the new darling of the hard left and governments love it because it is a good way to play on people's consciences while extorting huge amounts of tax from them. My main concern is the wholesale deforestation in South America and elsewhere: That is the real environmental catastrophe and we hear nothing on it.

Remember that program about the Guyana rainforests and the threat that hangs over it. The country is poor and needs to raise money by logging. They said that could be averted if the British and E.U helped them out and contributed to turning the area into a national park. Brown didn't even respond.
>>..1700 years ago the Romans were growing wine in Northumberland which suggests that it was a lot warmer up there..>>

Even earlier than I was led to believe....:-)

Global warming even then...:-))
I should say grapes but that is what I have heard. I do think all this is cyclical.
Now even Guardian readers reject Global Warming! - Altea Ego
>One thing that's amazed me is the way 'Global Warming' has fallen out of the news since ?>the credit crunch kicked in. Apparently, the survival of capitalism is more important than >the survival of the human race!

Simple really. To do all the things required to cut global warming cost a lot of money. So you need to fix money before you fix GW,

Sure we are having climate change. Its noticeable to jo public. The world has always changed climate tho. Not sure we can or should interfere with it.
Now even Guardian readers reject Global Warming! - ForumNeedsModerating
Well, if some comments posted after a Guardian article (by anyone, not just paid-up Guardianistas) make you feel that GW is hoax, well, can't really argue with that - I'm sure you've looked into the credentials of the posters & decided they're all well informed scientists & have made a correct & devastating critique.

If however, you read the article is neatly outlines the trend nature of GW & gives more info & links to expalin that. If I could paraphrase: one swallow doesn't make a spring.

For those that can think a little more outside the box: the current financial/economic crisis may well be seen as an early warning - the limits of human control have been reached, the shoe-horning of natural laws into the economic units of human activity has broken down. The model imposed by capitialism has run into the brick wall of what the earth is capable of giving. Those who can't or won't see a connection between the excessive exploitation of human activity & environmental degradation show little more anticipation than those dinosaurs 65 million years ago. Their imagination stops at the thought that motorists are being exploited - well, this is a motoring site I suppose!
... the limits of human control have been reached, the shoe-horning of natural laws into the economic units of human activity has broken down.

This is demonstrated clearly by looking at human population growth:
www.globalchange.umich.edu/globalchange2/current/l...l

www.optimumpopulation.org/opt.more.ukpoptable.html

[UK population measured by census in 1801 was under 11 milllion!]

desip.igc.org/mapanim.html

Edited by jbif on 08/12/2008 at 12:59

Maybe 10,000 years from now they will have to re- create the diesel Maestro - to stuff some solar heat absorbing soot back into the atmosphere and hold off the next ice age... Running on chip fat of course
;)

Edited by oilrag on 08/12/2008 at 13:13

Now even Guardian readers reject Global Warming! - DP
Sorry, forgive my ignorance, but I thought the current financial / economic crisis was triggered by banks lending money to people who had no hope of paying it back.

I have no trouble accepting that human activity damages the environment. I have no trouble accepting that fossil fuels are a finite resource, and than alternatives need to be developed sooner rather than later. I don't even have to much trouble with the concept that human overpopulation is contributing significantly to deforestation and unsustainable use of materials and resources. All of these need a change in outlook, behaviour and technology. Fine, and fair enough.

But I do not currently believe that human activity is having any measurable effect on the climate. I am suspicious at the way the green lobby changes its arguments and reasoning with every single counter claim from the other side. I am suspicious that governments fund researchers, and outfits such as the IPCC, who come up with discoveries that give the same governments an excuse to hammer people with green taxes.

That doesn't make me uncaring or stupid. I understand the need for resource conservation, for population control, and for a massive leap in alternative fuel technology. I understand why deforestation is such a massive problem. I don't however, subscribe, based on the evidence I have seen, to the idea that mankind is changing the climate. Sorry, I just don't.
I don't however, subscribe, based on the evidence I have seen, to the idea that mankind is changing the climate. Sorry, I just don't.

See if these very very very short summaries help you [all links in shown full as they are not wider than forum column]:
www.newscientist.com/article/dn11462
www.ametsoc.org/atmospolicy/Presentations/Oreskes%...f
www.ucsusa.org/global_warming/science_and_impacts/...l
and lastly
gristmill.grist.org/skeptics

Now even Guardian readers reject Global Warming! - boxsterboy
Me too, DP, me too. Well said.
Me too DP me too. Well said.

In which case read the first and last link I quoted above and tell us which bit you fail to grasp:
gristmill.grist.org/skeptics

Edited by jbif on 08/12/2008 at 13:38

Now even Guardian readers reject Global Warming! - billy25
All this Global Warming hype is based on computer predictions for years in the future! - with the computers we have today they cant even predict tomorrows weather with any accuracy!

G.Warming is upon us?- thats why America pulled out of the Kyoto Agreement.

Billy
G.Warming is upon us?- thats why America pulled out of the Kyoto Agreement.

Don't be silly. You can look this stuff up easily enough - here, from "wikipedia", oh I know, not *that* trustworthy, byt other sources are available:

"The United States (U.S.), although a signatory to the Kyoto Protocol, has neither ratified nor withdrawn from the Protocol. The signature alone is symbolic, as the Kyoto Protocol is non-binding on the United States unless ratified. The United States was, as of at least 2005,[citation needed] the largest per capita emitter of carbon dioxide from the burning of fossil fuels.[66] The America's Climate Security Act of 2007, also more commonly referred to in the U.S. as the "Cap and Trade Bill", was proposed for greater U.S. alignment with the Kyoto standards and goals. The current bill is almost 500 pages long, and provides for establishment of a federal bureau of Carbon Trading, Regulation, and Enforcement with mandates which some authorities suggest will amount to the largest tax increase in the history of the United States.[67]"

So. "Largest per capita emitter of CO2" from fossil fuel"; "largest tax increase in the history of the United States". I doubt I'm alone in finding that telling.
>>"largest tax increase in the history of the United States".<<

On what? Fuel? - (reading between the lines of the "blurb") with premium petrol @ USD3.280 (per US gallon) and diesel @ USD 4.059 (per gall) (Sept 08 prices), and millions of thirsty v8's still on the roads,
>>I doubt I'm alone in finding that telling.<<

Billy
I have visited one of those links before, but I will do so again later on when I have the time to digest the contents properly.

Working purely with facts that we know and can prove right here and right now:

The hottest year of the 20th century was 1934, and 4 of the 10 warmest years in the past 100 were in the 1930s

The mean global temperature has not risen since 1998, despite this being a time of unprecedented industrialisation, and subsequent increases in CO2 emissions, in China and India

Climate models are but a fraction of the level of sophistication required to give a remotely accurate prediction. The knowledge and computing power doesn't currently exist. Meteorologists cannot accurately predict the weather in a fixed spot on the Earth's surface more than 18-24 hrs in advance. How can a climatologist claim to know what the entire planet's atmosphere will be doing in 18-24 years?

www.telegraph.co.uk/opinion/main.jhtml?xml=/opinio...l

www.telegraph.co.uk/earth/earthnews/3312921/The-de...l

There is a policy regarding linking to other news sites, so these will have to do for now.

How those humans around at the end of the last ice age would have laughed to hear us now. With 200ft ice cliffs receding and the land bridge at the Dover straights being carved through by a massive torrent of water.

Too many little wood fires perhaps.. or flatulence due to switching to eating beans.

How come something as severe as a glaciation can start and end without us causing it?
;)

Edited by oilrag on 08/12/2008 at 14:41

I think history should teach you one thing if nothing else.

Governments do not always tell the truth and only an utter fool believes everything they are told. Remember, these are the same folk who said there were WMD - do you still believe that?

In the persuit of truth, one must at all times maintain a level of cynicism.
How come something as severe as a glaciation can start and end without us causing
it?

But didn't this take place over a relatively long period of time? (I don't know)

Here's the Met Office's 'global temperature' graph 1850-2007:
www.metoffice.gov.uk/corporate/pressoffice/myths/2...l

I thought it's the fact that it seems to be changing so quickly that's the problem?
See the final sentence of paragraph 2:

blogs.reuters.com/environment/tag/university-of-ea.../

Who is right?
Who is right?

Err on the side of caution until we find out? :-)
until we find out? :-)

I agree in the case of future predictions, but I was talking about the results from measurements that have already been done, and even here we have two completely contradictory sets of results.

This is my problem with global warming. "The experts" can't even agree what's happened over the last ten years, so how in the name of all that is holy can they claim there to be a consensus over what's going to happen in the next ten, or a hundred?

If those who believe in this are adamant that they continue dominating the news agenda (inconvenient global recession notwithstanding), I would also like to see them make crystal clear just how universally crippling their proposed 40-80% cuts in carbon emissions will be to people's standards of living. That will sort out the bandwagon jumpers and fence sitters from the commited.

Cheers
DP

Now even Guardian readers reject Global Warming! - Lud
Climate change, deforestation, the exhaustion of resources, explosive demographic growth, techno-economic development and our addiction to unlimited energy, all lend themselves to exploitation by governments, global corporations and bureaucracies in their vocation of farming us. It's not that these things aren't problems or potential problems, it's more that they aren't really addressed as problems. That is a bit worrying in itself. But our own problem with this stuff is more immediate.

The beguiling, easily-fudged complexity of the material issues involved, making it child's play to confuse us and pull the wool over our eyes, is simply irresistible to the powers that be. What is suspect about CO2 and global warming as scare stories and excuses for greedy taxation is the near-unanimity of mainstream 'scientific' opinion and the strangely - and immediately - expensive conclusions drawn.

Take these things seriously by all means. They are quite interesting after all. But don't imagine there's anything easy or simple about it and try not to listen to the baying, moaning, hooting chorus of respectable opinion.
Now even Guardian readers reject Global Warming! - bananastand
Gentlemen. let us look at an example. Dubai, that world centre of good taste, restraint, and modest expenditure, are planning a load more "palm tree" resorts. The common factor being.. they are at SEA LEVEL! And they are spending their OWN money. Which is very different from Gordon spending everybody else's money. Which tells me that they are taking a punt on what they see as a sure bet.

If it's in the Guardian and it's about Global warming, it's wrong.

When did the last Maldives island disappear?

Panic, socialism, guilt, self-hatred, and self aggrandaisement. Global warming, "carbon" "footprint"...

wrong!!

Now even Guardian readers reject Global Warming! - madf
I would be careful about quoting Dubai as an example of planning.

They borrowed loadsofmoney for that development and are in the middle of running out of money.

So they are not an example of anything to quote: except perhaps extravagance and greed...

Having said that as Guardian readers are blessed with an IQ of 150 (between all 300,000 readers.. not each), I treat the Guardian as good for absorbing oil drips on the garage floor.
Period.
Not sure how accurate these targets are now but, in the light of the size of the planet and that of the UK, setting such targets for years ahead (2050 in the last case) seems to demonstrate that the matter is perhaps not quite as urgent as we are led to believe, nor will they make any appreciable impact overall.

To achieve any meaningful impact means bringing in China, Russia, the States and similar high polluting countries.

tinyurl.com/59n963

However, this link seems to indicate that a number of countries have already achieved far more than we may have appreciated:

tinyurl.com/6oab7t
Having said that as Guardian readers are blessed with an IQ of 150 (between all 300,000 readers.. not each), I treat the Guardian as good for absorbing oil drips on the garage floor.
Period.

Unlike the masters of the universe who probably read the Telegraph, Times & FT then, who, incidentally have just brought about (with their chums who read WSJ, New York Times etc.) the biggest financial, ecomonic & social crisis of the modern era eh? Oh what it is to brains!

More generally, I've never read so much blinkered self-serving tosh than I have on this thread (not specifically you madf..but broadly). I wonder what stories the climate change denying chauvinists will tell their grandchildren who find their country engulfed in the economic chaos & social disruption caused by the consequences of a warming earth.

However, you are all irrelevanyt really - the broad mass of people/govts./scientists do agree & change will happen - whether you like it or not. Whether it will be enough is still in the balance - so go ahead while you can enjoying adolescant fantasies of driving 4x4s over what might be left of the Greenland ice shelf. Which, incidentally, was rendered uninhabitable & unviable (for Europeans) by the practice of unsustainable farming & de-forestation by Viking settlers - not increasing ice.

blinkered self-serving tosh
climate change denying chauvinists
However you are all irrelevanyt really

Sadly typical of the name calling and arrogant superiority that seems to be a hallmark of so many MMCC believers whenever anyone has the cheek to question their opinion.

My MMCC sceptic views are no more akin to chauvinism than yours are to fascism, if you want to reduce an important debate to simple name calling.

I do agree in a way that we are irrelevant though. Rational, two sided debate became impossible a long time ago, and much of this thread illustrates why.

I guess over the next 20-30 years, we'll see who's right, won't we?

>>My MMCC sceptic views are no more akin to chauvinism than yours are to fascism

hmm.. Perhaps if you look up what 'chauvinism' means you'll find it's not anything to do
with name calling.

Sadly typical of the name calling and arrogant superiority that seems to be a hallmark of so many MMCC believers whenever anyone has the cheek to question their opinion

If you care to read the whole thread & not just the parts you want to take umbrage about, you'll see some proper name calling from your side of the debate. Sadly, that is typical of the specious arguments put forward by climate change deniers. Don't seem very fond of inconvenient truths do they?

I guess over the next 20-30 years, we'll see who's right, won't we?

Yes we will. And from that remark you would appear happy to bet the planet on being right.
Perhaps that's where we differ - I'm not.
Yes we will. And from that remark you would appear happy to bet the planet
on being right.
Perhaps that's where we differ - I'm not.

OK, so let's deal with the practicalities of the problem. How would you propose we make a 40% cut in CO2 emissions? What are you doing to achieve it?

40% is the lowest cut called for in the pro MMCC articles I've read. Some call for 80%.

Edited by DP on 09/12/2008 at 11:38

OK, so let's deal with the practicalities of the problem. How would you propose we make a 40% cut in CO2 emissions? What are you doing to achieve it?

By being 'poorer' & more efficient I'd imagine, no magic bullets in the gun for this. If massive reductions in CO2 are made, the worst that can happen is that we'll have a lower standard of living (or rather consumption) and/or more energy efficient lifestyles. The best that can happen is that our descendants could be debating the pros & cons of the latest solar powered hyper-efficient personal transport vehicles on the HJ website.
I agree with you. We will be poorer, and significantly so. This is the part that always seems to be missed from the discussion.

I have forgotten how many times I've heard or read in the news in the past five years that a cut of x% in greenhouse gas emissions is needed, and you hear people agreeing with it, and saying that what we're doing to the planet is terrible. The problem is that the next step, explaining what's needed in terms of practical action, and imposing these lifestyle restrictions on the public, are never taken because they will, for the first time, ensure that our standard of living is lower than that of our parents, and probably our grandparents too.

There's so much more to this than the media's suggestion of driving a hybrid car and installing a small wind turbine on one's house, and the cuts said to be required will decimate living standards. The economy as we know it, would cease to exist. It would have to.

I wonder how many people in the population at large who claim to be in favour of measures to drastically cut greenhouse gas emissions actually realise and fully appreciate what that would involve? These are changes I am not prepared to make (given a choice), and rightly or wrongly, I openly and honestly admit that. It then stands to reason that I can't sit here and say that climate change is an issue.

Edited by DP on 09/12/2008 at 13:12

Fortunately, figures bandyed about in political circles do not seem to mean that we'll be significantly poorer, or that the economy will collapse.
Now even Guardian readers reject Global Warming! - Alanovich
>>And from that remark you would appear happy to bet the planet
on being right.

The planet is not a risk, even if MMCC is real. It is only at risk of destruction from a massive collision, or the Sun exploding/imploding. The planet will be fine.

It's mankind and other flora, fauna and fungae which are at risk. As they have been many times before and will be again many times in the future. Mankind and our activity is merely a momentary dot on the planet's radar. Soon enough it will be gone.

Mass extinctions are part and parcel of the planets existence, and whether we're causing GW or not, it's going to carry on. Maybe other species would be better off if we did turn up the temperature and eradicated ourselves.

We don't half rate ourselves if we believe we have the ability to destroy the planet by putting a bit of CO2 back whence it came.
Now even Guardian readers reject Global Warming! - Statistical outlier
I think the following seems to sum up the attitude of most on here:

tinyurl.com/5o3u3m

Link to the daily mash satire site non-clickable as it contains bad language etc..
Now even Guardian readers reject Global Warming! - Westpig
When someone discovered Greenland, which in the big scheme of things wasn't all that long ago...they called it so, because it was green.

Since then it has become a tad cold and fairly white. If it slips back to being green again, it will have done a full circle will it not.

Now is that global warming caused by man or global warming caused by cyclical changes?

I have no idea, so am deliberately passing no comment, but will keep an open mind.
I'd heard an alternative explanation for the name, which was that Erik the Red called it Greenland to make it sound more attractive!

However Wikipedia has the following - it might well have been greener in Erik's time.

The name Greenland comes from Scandinavian settlers. In the Icelandic sagas, it is said that Norwegian-born Erik the Red was exiled from Iceland for murder. He, along with his extended family and thralls, set out in ships to find the land that was rumoured to be to the northwest. After settling there, he named the land Grænland ("Greenland").[20] Greenland was also called Gruntland ("Ground-land") and Engronelant (or Engroneland) on early maps. Whether green is an erroneous transcription of grunt ("ground"), which refers to shallow bays, or vice versa, is not known. It should also be noted, however, that the southern portion of Greenland (not covered by glacier) is indeed very green in the summer and was likely to have been even greener in Erik's time because of the Medieval Warm Period.
Now even Guardian readers reject Global Warming! - Pugugly
Fancy a race across it in some Landies ?? ;-)
Absolutely!
The flat-earthers (no less pejorative than 'tree-huggers' I hope, Mr X) may well be right to say that many stand to gain personally from GW. Unfortunately that is a very poor argument against GW - in fact it could be construed as the opposite.

The exploiters who stand to gain from GW are just the same type of people who would be rubbing their hands and going into armaments if there looked like being a war. Equally there are powerful vested interests that would prefer that GW turned out to be a hoax - maybe the flat-earthers have come under their influence?

Sure, climate change has been going on since the Earth was born. But no changes have been as sudden, on a geological timescale, as those that appear to be happening now.

Sure, the predictions keep changing, and nothing is certain - but waiting for certainty in the face of many warning signs is just stupidity. Remember "there is no evidence that BSE can be transferred from animals to humans" being used to support the argument that beef was safe to eat?

I recommend the Al Gore film An Inconvenient Truth as a starting point for anyone who is interested in scratching the surface of this complex issue. Certainly it has been criticised and some of the 'facts' have been disputed or even discredited, such as the story about drowned polar bears; and yes, it presents one side of an argument; but I don't think it has been debunked convincingly as a whole, despite sustained attempts to rubbish it, and it might provide some balance for those who have only listened to the deniers.

I can be no more certain about GW then any other contributor here - but there is enough reason for me to take the possibility seriously, rather than put it all down to a conspiracy, which seems to be some people's reaction to anything they don't like. Not everything unpalatable was invented by Gordon Brown!

Edited by Manatee on 08/12/2008 at 19:48

Now even Guardian readers reject Global Warming! - FocusDriver
"Not everything unpalatable was invented by Gordon Brown!"

No indeed. Almost everything: we should be accurate.

eureferendum.blogspot.com/2008/12/this-aint-just-w...l

If you're a climatologist it's likely that a large chunk of your funding comes from Brussels (some of it having been sent there in the first place). I do not have evidence to hand, but it is worth knowing that at least a couple of scientists at my old university have lost their EU funding following publication of articles sceptical of the Global Warming Greenwash.

One of the first things politicians told us when they began to "take it seriously" was "this is going to cost you".

£££
exactly!!

what if a big chunk of science landed on your desk that said "oh look, global warming is nothing to do with us... we don't need that funding after all!"

as I said... exactly.

Tonight I will not turn on my dishwasher and I will feel good because I have reduced global carbon emissions by 0.0000000000000000000000000000000000001%

Now even Guardian readers reject Global Warming! - Big Bad Dave
"Tonight I will not turn on my dishwasher and I will feel good because I have reduced global carbon emissions"

Then I shall run mine empty to cancel you out.
So I take it Dave you're up for the Trans-Greenland race then ? (V8 petrol Land Rovers)
"So I take it Dave you're up for the Trans-Greenland race then ? (V8 petrol Land Rovers)"

Absolutely. Remind me to leave all the lights on before we leave.

And the telly on stand-by.

And the fridge open.
Now even Guardian readers reject Global Warming! - Baskerville
And the fridge open.

Don't be so irresponsible.

Your beer will get warm.
bananastand,

The idea that the overwhelming majority of tens of thousands of eminent scientists have for decades been so venal as totally to betray all of their scientific knowledge and personal integrity is ludicrous.

Even if they were, there are plenty of car makers, oil companies and airlines who would fund them to spill the beans - they wouldn't starve.

If that's the best you've got, then I think you've lost the argument.

Edited by Manatee on 08/12/2008 at 22:04

the thing is, it's not an argument, like everton are better than liverpool. It's a matter of fact. To say, oh loads of scientists think it's right... doesn't convince me. Loads of scientists think it's wrong.

And too many lefties are using global warming as a way to punish capitalists. They WANT it to be right.
There were scientists that predicted that by splitting the atom would be the key to universal liberation.
Now even Guardian readers reject Global Warming! - nortones2
Re loads of scientists. Presumably you have personal contact with scientists in the climatology field. A few references to their papers perhaps?
And too many lefties are using global warming as a way to punish capitalists.

Capitalists don't need lefties to punish them. As we have seen they are quite capable of screwing things up on their own.

:-O
And too many lefties are using global warming as a way to punish capitalists. They
WANT it to be right.

So we've moved from grasping corrupt scientists to the red menace - this is just trolling isn't it?

I think anybody who believes there's cause for concern would prefer it to be wrong - leftie or rightie.

Assuming you're not just on a wind up mission, the wish for it to be wrong is all you seem to have in your corner, bolstered by the conspiracy theory which allows you to disregard anybody who disagrees with you ;-)

If you want to drive your car for longer, the best chance of doing that is to accept the weight of evidence and get on board with some none-car related carbon reduction.
Plenty of incompetence in science and politics of whatever hue. The combination of both politicians and scientist is really one to avoid, almost as much a politician and an accountant !
Don't the lawyers figure in this somewhere?!
I nearly added them as well but professional pride prevented me ! That would be a Frankenstein monster a Scientist/Accountant/Politician/Lawyer hybrid - shudder. Douglas Adams would have had a field day with that !
a Frankenstein monster a Scientist/Accountant/Politician/Lawyer hybrid - shudder.

So what's new, if you just add: cosmetic surgeon/biogeneticist/organic medicine shop/mass media/privatised military?

The world of the near future in a nutshell and its dominant political forces. I don't think 'shudder' is quite strong enough actually...
Well i'm up for the trans greenland race but why not go the whole hog and use Hummers?

Only kidding but seriously I do think the globe goes through cycles and that to use a rather crude analogy we are peeing against the wind if we think we can stop it. It is natural forces. As Setright said in one of his last interviews: "One must be pretty arrogant to think one can fight the workings of God".
>>why not go the whole hog and use Hummers?<<

Exactly! why dont we all use them - worldwide! - the sooner we get all this "pesky" oil used up the better, it's going to be best for the world in the long run, and better for us. They won't be able to rub our faces in the "glo-bull" debate whilst smiling and taxing us to an inch of our squeak!

Billy
Now even Guardian readers reject Global Warming! - daveyjp
"I wonder what sort of 4X4's led to the wiping out of the dinosaurs ?"

Last night Channel 4 9pm - if you can watch it again on line or via watch again on cable or satellite do so.

Excellent programme on what did wipe out the dinosaurs. It happened 250 million years ago, took 100,000 years and it was all the fault of Siberia where no one was driving a 4x4.

Bottom line is if it happens again we are all doomed!!
Now even Guardian readers reject Global Warming! - malden blue
The Antarctic is getting colder and the ice sheet is not only getting bigger but its also getting thicker

2 things drive the global warming myth

Research scientists needing next years grant renewed and government needing new tax revenues
Now even Guardian readers reject Global Warming! - charlesb
Really interesting debate from both sides. What I find interesting is all the predictions that experts come up with. Rising sea levels, etc....

If we are that good at predicting long term trends (years and decades into the future), why is it that we cannot predict the weather forecast even 2 days into the future?

I for one have 2 feelings about Global Warming.

1. We have an enormous ecological footprint in terms of the resources we use, the energy we consume and the waste we produce.

2. However, counterbalancing that, we know nothing about climate cycles. How can we base any predictions on less than 100 years of data, for a planet that has been around for millions of years.

I'm not junking the GW theory, but predictive models are just that - models, and what is the error rate in the GW models? 10%? 20%? 50%? could be 90%. No one knows. Anecdotal evidence is all we have, and that could easily be a result of a random one-off event. We could be right about GW, or we could be easily completely wrong and it will happen even more quickly, or reverse itself. We don't have enough facts and data to make these predictions.

Remember the Millenium bridge? how many years have we known about resonance in bridges (Tacoma Narrows anyone? - look it up if you can't remember that shining example), yet we still make mistakes when contructing buildings.

I respect the opinions of all, because without 100% solid evidence, my own thoughts could be wrong and, after all it is a debate - not a row - about who's right and wrong.

Ahem... outburst over. Top Gear anyone?
How can we
base any predictions on less than 100 years of data, for a planet that has been around >> for millions of years.

We can't. As I've read once, it's akin to trying to predict the course of an infinitely long footpath, given only the location of its first dozen or so paving slabs.

How can we base any predictions on less than 100 years of data

We don't. Studies of conditions existing the best part of a million years ago have been undertaken (EPICA). Why not have a look at findings, they're very, very interesting.
Now even Guardian readers reject Global Warming! - Leif
The vast majority of climate scientists agree that climate change is a fact, which is good enough for me. I guess if you wish to believe "a scientist" who is so brilliant that he has been able with minimal effort to disprove decades of research, then fine. Som epeople also believe that a magnet can improve fuel consumption. Or that a car can run on water.
Now even Guardian readers reject Global Warming! - Hamsafar
AL GORE is now being sued by over 30,000 Climate scientists for fraud.
About time too. I remember reading that the original 'pact' signed by 'scientists' of this 'religion' included gynaecologists and all sorts of unrelated 'scientists'.
www.youtube.com/watch?v=FfHW7KR33IQ
Now even Guardian readers reject Global Warming! - Waino
I dare say that the people who have difficulty with the concept of climate change are the same people who think that there is an infinite number of holes in the ground for us to bury our rubbish and that fossil fuels will last forever. Come on, chaps, get real!
AL GORE is now being sued by over 30 000 Climate scientists for fraud.

Is that accurate? It'll be in the papers, then. Where, though?
Simple fact of it is, if the world was in real trouble, cars etc would be banned immediately and only clean energy would be permitted. Infact America would prob start bombing China's coal fired power stations.

You could argue that the world economy couldnt function if we did that BUT if the world comes to an end, how good the economy is when that happens is rather irrelevant.
Nobody will be saying with their last breath ' im glad our solid economy has meant I have a flatscreen TV right to the bitter end'.

Truth is, no real action has been taken, nor will it be taken. Taxation has been the only real change and that has not even begun to fix CO2 issues. The government really doesnt care about it because they havent done anything about it.

MPs care about their pensions, the PM about his legacy and his pension. The day Our Great Leader arrives for work on an amour-plated pedicab will be the day I take green policies seriously. Lead by example or be ignored.
"Excellent programme on what did wipe out the dinosaurs. It happened 250 million years ago"

Actually (as anyone with a young son could tell you) it happened at the end of the cretaceous period about 65m years ago. Don't you remember all the hoo-haa about Jurassic Park's T-Rex actually being a Cretaceous dinosaur...

Edit: But hats off to you anyway daveyjp for finally making this thread interesting

Edited by Big Bad Dave on 09/12/2008 at 19:27

Now even Guardian readers reject Global Warming! - GJD
So we've moved from grasping corrupt scientists to the red menace - this is just
trolling isn't it?

Not really. There is a rather unpleasant and disappointingly prevalent personality trait that makes sufferers think it is their place to seek to impose their beliefs and will on those around them. Somehow they have concluded that they know best and it their place to "look after" the rest of us by making our decisions for us because we can't be trusted. Falsely convinced of their own superiority, they have lost the ability to differentiate between, "I couldn't imagine wanting to do X" and "Nobody should be allowed to do X".

Just at the moment, many of them have latched onto climate change as the means of exerting control. Now, it may be that they have latched on to something that really is a problem, and they have identified some changes that really need to happen. But that doesn't make their motives any less despicable.

And they cause a not inconsiderable problem for those who have genuine and honourable reasons for believing there is a problem and wanting to do something about it. It makes it very hard to distinguish between those advocating change from the best of motives and those doing it from the worst of motives. When the motives often appear so questionable, it is hardly surprising that those reluctant to change will tend towards an entrenched position.
Now even Guardian readers reject Global Warming! - NowWheels
There is a rather unpleasant and disappointingly prevalent personality trait that makes sufferers
think it is their place to seek to impose their beliefs and will on those
around them. Somehow they have concluded that they know best and it their place to
"look after" the rest of us by making our decisions for us because we can't
be trusted. Falsely convinced of their own superiority they have lost the ability to differentiate
between "I couldn't imagine wanting to do X" and "Nobody should be allowed to do
X".

Nice try, but that sounds to me like a deflection argument.

There are a goodly number of car drivers who persist in deep denial of the effects that their car use have on others, through pollution, CO2 emissions, noise, displacement of other modes of transport, and countless other things such as the increased hazards to others posed by particular types of vehicle.

Having refused to consider any of the ways in which their vehicle usage impacts on others, they then feel free to dismiss critics as motivated by envy or a desire to control. It's amusing to watch, but not very persuasive, since the same people often seem to be vocal in their criticism of people who indulge in forms of anti-social behaviour which they don't indulge in.

In this case, GDJ, the point you are missing between "I couldn't imagine wanting to do X" and "Nobody should be allowed to do X" is a simple one that "doing X has a negative impact on others".

I don't think negative impact on others is either a difficult concept to grasp, or a new one ; for example the ban on burning smokey coal in some areas goes back decades, as do planning restrictions on building new houses in scenic areas. The thing which interests me is how some people are so very keen to deny that such an issue can ever exist, which is why I find these threads such fascinating reading.
Nice try but that sounds to me like a deflection argument.

I don't think so. I hope I made it clear enough that I don't tar everyone who seeks to address climate change with the same brush.
There are a goodly number of car drivers who persist in deep denial of the
effects that their car use have on others

That may be true. And there may be genuinely good arguments for looking at the way cars are used. But none of that changes the fact that there are people who are motivated by envy and a desire to control, and many of them have jumped on the climate change band wagon. My only point is that their presence is counter-productive to those who make the argument with decent motives.
In this case GDJ the point you are missing between "I couldn't imagine wanting to
do X" and "Nobody should be allowed to do X" is a simple one that
"doing X has a negative impact on others".

It's a point I didn't mention because it wasn't relevant to the character I was describing, but it's not a point I'm unaware of. However, in a fair and free society it needs to be balanced against the equally valid point that "banning or restricting X has a negative impact on those who enjoy X". In our current culture, the existence of that negative impact often seems to lack a fair hearing (and not just in issues surrounding climate change).
'However, in a fair and free society it needs to be balanced against the equally valid point that "banning or restricting X has a negative impact on those who enjoy X"'
I hope thats not me we are talking about.
there are people who are motivated by envy and a desire to control, and many of them have jumped on the climate change band wagon. My only point is that their presence is counter-productive to those who make the argument with decent motives. <<

Of course there is a chorus of biens pensants who will go along with anything that appeals to them NW, but those who make what you call 'the argument' - that global warming must be our doing and we have to take a lot of expensive and irksome steps to counteract it - are not 'motivated by a desire to control' but actually have the vocation and function of control.

The argument as it stands doesn't seem to me to hold together. It isn't proven that global warming is our doing or that anything we do to counteract it will have the slightest effect. Those with decent motives are probably trying quite hard to work out the causes of any global warming there may be, and what, if anything, can be done to counteract it. The motives of people who want us to change our behaviour now may not be bad, but they seem confused. The possibility that they are chivvying people for nothing may not bother them, but it bothers me. I really hate being chivvied for nothing.

EDIT: I see that I am responding here to GJD and not NW. Apologies to both.

Edited by Lud on 09/12/2008 at 15:56

... are not 'motivated by a desire to
control' but actually have the vocation and function of control.

The possibility that they are
chivvying people for nothing may not bother them...

An attitude which, if present, ought to automatically disqualify one from the vocation and function of control.
ought to automatically disqualify one from the vocation and function of control

... but is in practice an essential skill for those with a true vocation, as well as a much-loved hobby for countless millions of tiresome amateurs...

:o{
Now even Guardian readers reject Global Warming! - Westpig
Firtstly, I thought GJD's post was excellent, it sums up a lot of my thoughts
Nice try but that sounds to me like a deflection argument.

Why couldn't it be a 'middle of the road' arguement i.e. looking at both angles
There are a goodly number of car drivers who persist in deep denial of the
effects that their car use have on others through pollution CO2 emissions noise displacement of other modes of transport and countless other things such as the increased hazards to others posed by particular types of vehicle.

equally so there are some (me) who take on board the negatives of car ownership or the increased neagtives of some types of car ownership....and accept them as being reasonable having regard to all the known facts. Part of that reasoning might well be the minimal difference that one type of car makes over another when you consider the industrial pollution of China, India etc...or the pollution provided by an aircraft, large ship or train, compared to my car

Having refused to consider any of the ways in which their vehicle usage impacts on
others they then feel free to dismiss critics as motivated by envy or a desire
to control.

How about if you HAVE considered your vehicle impact and decided it is acceptable...in the same way you have with your vehicle

I don't think negative impact on others is either a difficult concept to grasp or
a new one ; for example the ban on burning smokey coal in some areas
goes back decades as do planning restrictions on building new houses in scenic areas.

That's not set in stone either. My area used to be a smokeless zone, but according to the council, via a very helpful leaflet (because I checked) it no longer is..so I can now burn coal rather than coalite

>>The thing which interests me is how some people are so very keen to deny that
such an issue can ever exist which is why I find these threads such fascinating
reading.

Can only speak for myself..but.. my angle is that I keep an open mind, but the arguements so far are inconclusive, in that I'm fairly happy that there is GW, that mankind may be either causing it or exacerbating it, but I don't know to what level. I see nor eason why mankind shouldn't take steps to minimise our impact, but within a reasonable fram..i..e we shouldn't bankrupt anyone's economy to do so. I'm also of the mind set that the difference between me driving a Jag or a diesel carpbox is virtaully minimal when you consider the average Chinese or Indian factory. Now if you asked me if i was willing to vote for my taxpayer's money to go towards a subsidy to India to clean up their act...then the answer would be 'Yes'.
Now even Guardian readers reject Global Warming! - nick
There is some irony to be had in comparing this thread and the NW's 'Which 2 litre Mondeo?' thread.
I don't think that people are denying there is change. The issue is what is the extent of man's contribution via CO2 etc. I am not qualified to say absolutely but I will admit being cynical as politicians have grabbed the issue as an excuse for hiking up taxes. What infuriates me is that trait of left wingers to go on the attack (climate changer denier they howl) as soon as anyone dares to question what they deem to be unquestionable fact.I am sorry but I have read all the arguments and have yet to be convinced that man made CO2 emissions are fully responsible.

I would like to see worldwide efforts are rallied to stop the hideous destruction of rain forests which left WILL prove catastrophic in upsetting the earths natural balance as well as the terrible social impact on the people that live within them. No doubt NowWheels you will use your ex spin doctor skills to muddy the waters but I am afraid I have a suspicion that this climate change issue HAS been hijacked by anti capitalists who are motivated bu jealousy and envy.
The UK has the longest continous set of temperature records in the world, CET (Central England Temperature) which takes its data from 3 seperate sites tells us what the average temperatures have been since 1650

And guess what?
Temperature records (and measurements of greenhouse gasses in the atmosphere) go back hundreds of thousands of years, not mere hundreds.

And guess what.
>>go back hundreds of thousands of years, not mere hundreds.>>

Who took them and how?
Arctic and Antarctic deep bore samples. Fossilized fauna for temperature I suppose,
''''Temperature records (and measurements of greenhouse gasses in the atmosphere) go back hundreds of thousands of years, not mere hundreds.

And guess what.''''

Pardon my French but thats complete garbage, the CET records have been done every year/month for nigh on 400 years, accurate, reliable, unspinable, proven

Any scientist that tells you they knows what the exact temperatures were, to the tenth of one degree like CET, hundreds of thousands of years ago is pulling your whatsit

Edited by malden blue on 09/12/2008 at 22:04

>>the CET records have been done every year/month for nigh on 400 years, accurate, reliable, unspinable, proven

Certainly not accurate or reliable for that period. Many of the early records are amateur readings taken on uncalibrated apparatus in an ad-hoc manner and in few places.
At the moment the Earth is overpopulated. If global warming helps to cull the population then future generations may well be glad we had global warming. I think we should let things take their course and not meddle with whatever is happening.
Lets hear what cars the ecomentalists drive then. If you believe in global warming and thats fair enough, what car is it you drive to save the planet, or not...?

I dont fully believe it although Im open to the possibility. My car has CO2 of 114.
It would be interesting to know whether "global warming" is taking place on any other planet, and what the scientists' explanation is for that planet.
Now even Guardian readers reject Global Warming! - Ravenger
It would be interesting to know whether "global warming" is taking place on any other
planet and what the scientists' explanation is for that planet.

The planet Venus was subject to a runaway greenhouse effect, according to current scientific opinion.

Venus is almost the same size as Earth, but due to it being closer to the sun it was more prone to the greenhouse effect, which has turned the planet incredibly inhospitable, with sulfuric acid rain, crushing surface pressures, and active volcanoes spewing lava everywhere.

Of course what happened to Venus has no real bearing on supposed global warming here, because the Earth, though basically similar to Venus, is further from the sun, has a large moon, and life, all of which have a effect on the climate.
incredibly inhospitable with sulfuric acid rain crushing surface pressures and active volcanoes spewing lava everywhere.

Sounds like Rotherham before the steel and iron works were closed.
Sounds like Rotherham before the steel and iron works were closed.

Those works provided employment for a lot of grateful people. You have to take the rough with the smooth.

Edited by L'escargot on 10/12/2008 at 15:07

Those works provided employment for a lot of grateful people. You have to take the
rough with the smooth.

Indeed, lots of jobs, though mostly not well paid.

Damnable environment to live and work in, though.
It sounds like my mother in law's house.
Well. they reckon G/Warming is virtually out of control on venus, as the surface temperature is hot enough to melt lead about 400c i think. The "Atmosphere" is 99% CO2, which is being blamed for the huge temperature, (note: no Humanly caused Greenhouse gas production here!). The probable cause is reported to be that due to its closeness to the sun, there is no water, water vapour or plant life to mop up the CO2, and so as the heat breaks down/burns more and more particles of the planets surface, more and more Carbon is released into its atmosphere. Theoretically speaking, given long enough, Venus would probably burn itself away. Thats is the Sun turning into a Red-Dwarf and consuming it first, doesn't happen.

::now puts up lead shield and awaits "incoming" from BR Astrologers:: ;-)

Billy

Ah!! beaten by a faster typing finger!!!

Edited by billy25 on 10/12/2008 at 15:01

BR Astrologers:: ;-)

One typo can generate more incoming than any number of factual inaccuracies! :-)

Edited by GJD on 10/12/2008 at 15:24

Yoicks! of course i meant Astronomers!! ;-) - my head was in the clouds!

Billy
I think the predictions of astrologers are as accurate as many of the global warming ones. Perhaps we should ask Mystic Meg whether motoring taxes should increased?
Now even Guardian readers reject Global Warming! - burpie
I'm with the majority on this thread. I say simply "so what?!" to Global Warming. I'm not going to be around when humans can no longer survive on the planet so I've got nothing to lose. Cut back on driving my 330ci? I don't think so!
I say simply "so what?!" to Global Warming. I'm not going to be around when
humans can no longer survive on the planet so I've got nothing to lose.

Your children and grandchildren will be obviously revere your memory for the way you place their fate so high on your list of priorities.
Your children and grandchildren will be obviously revere your memory for the way you place
their fate so high on your list of priorities.

I very much doubt whether the climate will change that much in the next two generations.
Now even Guardian readers reject Global Warming! - Sofa Spud
The real environmental crisis facing us is the running out of finite fuel sources, especially oil and gas. That's what the environmetalits should be banging on about rather than the contentious global warming issue.

Re: global warming, what we have is a scientific model that shows how burning fossil fuels emits CO2 and other substances that could cause global warming. We also have a trend of gradually rising global temperatures for the last few decades. But nobody has been able to show that the temperature rise is a result of human activity and not part of a natural cycle.

Re: oil running out. It's taken millions of years to form and we've been using it in significant quantities for less than a century, so it's clearly an nsustainable fuel source.
We've already seen the writing on the wall with North Sea oil and even more with North Sea gas. The message is 'when it's gone it's gone'. Then what will we do?
Now even Guardian readers reject Global Warming! - Sofa Spud
So, driving around in thirsty vehicles to satisfy one's ego or because one likes the noise their exhaust makes is in fact depriving future generations of fuel.
The message is 'when it's gone it's gone'. Then what will we do?

I guess as it gets scarcer it will get more expensive and what are now more expensive and/or impractical alternatives will become less expensive and/or more practical as demand grows. So hopefully there will be a gradual changeover to whatever those alternatives are - wind, solar, tidal, nuclear?
>>changeover to whatever those alternatives are - wind, solar, tidal, nuclear? <<

No, we will just revert back to minimg/burning coal. especially on the Domestic heating front, all the "smokeless" zones will go, back will come the "Smogs", the Acid Rain, Airbourne particle lung diesieses, etc etc. The cycle will be complete, and another cycle will begin, - isnt that what Nature's doing now? but on a larger scale?

Billy
No we will just revert back to minimg/burning coal. especially on the Domestic heating front

Our two neighbours have already forsaken their oil-fired heating in favour of burning coal and/or wood.
........ back will come the "Smogs" ....

They're back already! One of our neighbours burns old creosoted fence panels and posts that he gets from his fencing contractor son.
"Our two neighbours have already forsaken their oil-fired heating in favour of burning coal and/or wood."

Everyone on our street burns wood in a real fire. It has to be a particular type though, you can't burn an old creosoted fence. Most fires have a glass door that opens to throw the wood onto and the glass dictates what you can burn. E.g. we can't burn coal - it's far too hot.

There's no smog though, just the faintest wisp of smoke from the chimbleys
back will come the "Smogs"

Most youngsters won't understand the word smog. I remember, in about 1948, that the smog was so dense that you could barely see a lit (gas) street lamp until you were literally within about 3 feet of it.

Edited by L'escargot on 12/12/2008 at 17:57

The real environmental crisis facing us is the running out of finite fuel sources especially
oil and gas. That's what the environmetalits should be banging on about rather than the
contentious global warming issue.

Both are important.

But while the lack of fossil fuels would massively disrupt industrial society, it is nowhere near as serious an issue as climate change. For example, have you looked at what a 1-metre rise in sea level would do to London?
"have you looked at what a 1-metre rise in sea level would do to London?"

Give the homeless a bath.
"have you looked at what a 1-metre rise in sea level would do to London?"
Give the homeless a bath.

And a fair few of the homed as well.
Now even Guardian readers reject Global Warming! - burpie
Your children and grandchildren will be obviously revere your memory for the way you place
their fate so high on your list of priorities.

We're talking about many generations - do you care about the attitude and behaviour of your great, great ...... grandfather?

Seriously though, why is it so important to preserve the human race? I couldn't care less if it dies out in the future.
Now even Guardian readers reject Global Warming! - madf
Surprisingly enough, people adapt.

Even if it means moving house when the glaciers melted.

If it was good enough for our ancestors...

Edited by madf on 11/12/2008 at 18:23

@burpie:
We're talking about many generations - do you care about the attitude and
behaviour of your great, great ...... grandfather?

Yes, I do actually. One of great-great grandfathers was a scientific pioneer who handed down a lpot of vauable knowledge to future generations. Another was a farmer who drained land and planted a small forest which people still enjoy. And another fought for religious freedoms which people in that area still enjoy.

So it does matter to me that they didn't just destroy books or ancient buildings or leave the land to go to ruin, because what they did made a difference to my generation.

@madf:
Surprisingly enough people adapt.
Even if it means moving house when the glaciers melted.
If it was good enough for our ancestors...

Our ancient ancestors were much more adaptable than our complex societies, but don't forget that many civilisations failed to adapt and were wiped out.

Those ancient ancestors lived in rudimentary huts, built from bits of trees and the stones at the edge of the field; these houses mostly didn't even last one generation. People in that era didn't rely on warehouses and office buildings and sewage systems and shops and all the rest of the infrastructure of modern life, much of which lasts several generations (such as all the victorian housing still in use), nor on long supply chains.

If you are suggesting that the inhabitants of a coastal city threatened by rising sea levels should simply take to he hills, I'm not sure you'll find many takers.

But it's interesting to see climate change refuseniks working their way around to nearly the same position as the most extreme eco-zealots who would abolish industrial society.
Now even Guardian readers reject Global Warming! - PhilW
NW,
"do you care about the attitude and behaviour of your great, great ...... grandfather?
Yes, I do actually."

I think you may be in a minority there - I can recall the name of one of my great grandparents and his job (tenant farmer in Yorkshire Dales). Some of the others I would have to look up from the rudimentary family tree I have done but at least 3 of the 8 great GPs I haven't a clue about. As for GGGPs - I haven't a clue - and I suspect most of the population are llike me. I suspect that a sizeable proportion of the present population don't even know who their father is and have little or no contact with him - but that's a different matter!!!
As for "climate change refuseniks" we will leave out the bit about rising sea levels since sea levels have been rising since the end of the last ice-age (and SE England has been sinking because of isostatic readjustment since then also).
What mainly concerns the people on this motoring forum is probably the extra costs they incur when motoring because they are "causing global warming".
A few simple and rounded figures (but pretty much along the right lines)
1. CO2 is not the major "greenhouse gas" - water vapour is, and we can do nowt about it - and it is responsible for about 90% of the "greenhouse effect".
2. So, CO2 is responsible for a maximum (there are other GGs) of 10% of the greenhouse effect.
3.CO2 is 97% NATURAL so man is "responsible" for about 0.3% of the greenhouse effect.
4. Of that 0.3% about 30% (ie roughly 0.1%) is down to all transport (cars, ships, aircraft, trains etc).
5. ALL road transport accounts for about 30% of that 0.1%, ie 0.03% and cars about 30% of that 0.03%.
6. In other words, cars are responsible for (very roughly) 0.01% of the "greenhouse effect. (Although in reality ships and aircraft are actually far more "polluting").

Even if the exact figures are a little different (or I have mislaid a decimal point) what it means is that removing every single car from the earth's surface would have a miniscule effect on "global warming".
So the question is - Why are we motorists so targetted by "green taxes" when it will have so little effect? - whether you are a MMGW believer or denier. Why aren't shipping, aircraft and a miriad other "greenhouse gas" producers similarly targetted?

Sorry for long post!
Even if the exact figures are a little different

They are, and note, water vapour in the atmosphere is almost unchanged by our activity - you also assume that the "greenhouse effect" is all bad, which it isn't, within limits.

"and note, water vapour in the atmosphere is almost unchanged by our activity"
That's what I said isn't it? ( quote "CO2 is not the major "greenhouse gas" - water vapour is, and we can do nowt about it ")
Are the exact figures significantly different? Enough to justify targetting motorists specifically to ameliorate "global warming"?

As many will have gathered, I'm one of those who make no attempt to disguise my disbelief at so called global warming (or climate change as it's more conveniently called due to recent events).

The main cause, as I perceive along with many others, is solar activity as these links may perhaps illustrate (there are many, many more):

www.newscientist.com/article/dn11650

tinyurl.com/5behbl

www.abd.org.uk/solar_activity.htm

I'm perfectly sure that many will point to other links that demonstrate exactly the opposite.

I've been using two and four wheel forms of transport for 52 years in my area of the UK and, in all that time, even during the period when vehicle emissions were very substantially higher than today, I've noticed little or no difference in my way of life environmental wise.

Mother Earth is substantially more capable of controlling the environment than anything man can achieve and the fact that land mass comprises approximately a modest 30 per cent of the earth's surface merely underlines this fact.

The real villains in the "climate change" controversy are mostly politicians with a keen eye to boosting taxes and "frightening" us into submission.

Otherwise why would measures supposedly designed to dramatically change the level of climate control not come into effect for up to 50 years ahead?

I'm well aware that I'm likely to be shot down in flames for such views, but I've always been one to look at facts logically rather than emotionally and the outcome remains the same.

As I've pointed out many times before, the hottest and coldest summers and winters in the UK were experienced long before modern times and the so-called impact of aircraft, 4x4s, Formula1 racing and whatever else seemingly bigoted people nominate as destroying the planet.

I've been using two and four wheel forms of transport for 52 years in my
area of the UK and in all that time even during the period when vehicle
emissions were very substantially higher than today I've noticed little or no difference in my
way of life environmental wise.

Anecdotal experiences are inadequate for assessing big systemic issues.

Emissions per vehicle may have been lower in the past, but the number of vehicles has grown dramatically in those 52 years, and the number of miles per vehicle has also grown ... so overall CO2 emissions have grown substantially.
The real villains in the "climate change" controversy are mostly politicians with a keen eye
to boosting taxes and "frightening" us into submission.

Actually, the real villains are the majority of politicians, who know what needs to be done but are too cowardly to publicly seek the necessary big changes. They are followers rather than leaders.
Otherwise why would measures supposedly designed to dramatically change the level of climate control not
come into effect for up to 50 years ahead?

As above, because the politicians are too cowardly to make the big changes needed now, which would require immediate sacrifice for long-term gain. Our have-it-all society has come to expect that things will only get better, and with the encouragement of the powerful vested interests that control the news media, they crucify politicians who don't promise ever-expanding candy stores.
As I've pointed out many times before the hottest and coldest summers and winters in
the UK were experienced long before modern times

Look at the trends, not at individual years.
>>Emissions per vehicle may have been lower in the past>>

It was the reverse. In fact Ford claimed that its Escort models, when catalysts were first fitted, emitted up to one-50th of the pollution compared to those without the device.

>the powerful vested interests that control the news media>>

As a retired journalist, I can assure you that I and virtually everyone else in the profession never took/take anything at face value without checking it out first.

That's why I'm so cynical about much of what is spoken and written about "climate change", which itself was quietly adopted in place of "global warming" because the climate began to change in the other direction...:-)

>>Look at the trends, not at individual years.>>

But in fact I looking at the trends and most of them involve periods without jet aircraft, gas guzzlers, steam trains etc.

The planet has been cooling down and heating up for millions of years and much of it long before Homo Sapiens made an appearance.

From what I recall Earth is not the only planet to experience "climate change"...
>>Emissions per vehicle may have been lower in the past>>
It was the reverse. In fact Ford claimed that its Escort models when catalysts were
first fitted emitted up to one-50th of the pollution compared to those without the device.

You're right, that was a mistake: I meant to agree with you taht emissions per vehicle-mile used to be a lot higher in some respects. However, catalytic convertors don't reduce CO2, they tackle other problems such as NO2 and CO, which are bad for health. (By converting CO to CO2, they may actually cause a marginal increase CO2 emissions)

But my point stands: overall emissions have been rising rapidly because vehicle-miles have increased so rapidly. Toxic emissions (lead, NO2 etc) have been massively cut through new technologies, but CO2 emissions have grown massively.
>the powerful vested interests that control the news media>>
As a retired journalist I can assure you that I and virtually everyone else in
the profession never took/take anything at face value without checking it out first.

Sorry, but it doesn't take much effort to see that there are huge amounts of sloppy journalism out there. My point, though, was not about accuracy, but about the stories which journalists are allowed to follow and those which they are discouraged from approaching.
Now even Guardian readers reject Global Warming! - Number_Cruncher
>>(By converting CO to CO2, they may actually cause a marginal increase CO2 emissions)

There's no "may" or "marginal" about it. Not only the increase via converting CO to CO2, but also the increase forced by having to burn at stoichometric, rather than running weaker are both impositions of the legislation which effectively forces the use of catalysts. Other promising avenues of engine research, like modern 2 strokes, and lean burn technology closed down almost overnight. Nice one politicians and ecomentalists!, thanks!
>>.. but about the stories which journalists are allowed to follow and those which they are discouraged from approaching. >>

On what premise have you been able to establish that point of view?
Even if the exact figures are a little different (or I have mislaid a decimal
point) what it means is that removing every single car from the earth's surface would
have a miniscule effect on "global warming".

Phil, your figures bear little relation to the figures I can find, but you also are missing some important points which render your calculations useless (they underestimate the impact by several orders of magnitude). For example, the aim is not reduce greenhouse gases to zero, just to reduce them to a lower level which will allow a steady state rather than a temperature increase.
So the question is - Why are we motorists so targetted by "green taxes" when
it will have so little effect? - whether you are a MMGW believer or denier.

As above, you grossly underestimate the effect of manmade CO2. If you start from those misconceptions, the rest won't make sense.

If you accept that CO2 emissions needs to be urgently cut radically, then there two questions: where can the biggest cuts be made, and where can cuts be made most easily?

Cars are a relatively short-life source of CO2 emissions, lasting only about 10 years on average. Since they being replaced so rapidly, a reduction in the emissions of new cars will quite rapidly change the CO2 profile of the overall car stock. No new investment needed, just target the ongoing investment in a lower-CO2 direction.

By contrast, houses in the UK usually last well over a hundred years, so replacing them with zero emissions houses have a much slower impact on overall emissions.

Of course, there should be much more radical measures to reduce CO2 emissions from other sectors (such as bigscale home insulation projects), but the sloth in that respect is no reason to turn down the chance to reduce emissions from cars when they are routinely replaced.
Why aren't shipping aircraft and a miriad other "greenhouse gas" producers similarly targetted?

They certainly ought to be, but the reason why they aren't is largely politics, I'm afraid. Car taxation can be controlled at national level, but it has proven much harder to tax aviation fuel, because some powerful forces block the necessary changes to the international aviation treaties. I still think there is a lot that govts could do and aren't doing, such as massively increasing the tax per passenger (which is under national control), and dropping the daft plans to expand aviation.
NW,
"Phil, your figures bear little relation to the figures I can find, but you also are missing some important points which render your calculations useless (they underestimate the impact by several orders of magnitude)."
"As above, you grossly underestimate the effect of manmade CO2. If you start from those misconceptions, the rest won't make sense."

OK, here are my figures in quotes from other sources rather than in my own words:-

1. "the bulk of Earth's greenhouse effect is due to water vapour by virtue of its abundance. Water accounts for about 90% of the Earth's greenhouse effect -- perhaps 70% is due to water vapour and about 20% due to clouds (mostly water droplets), some estimates put water as high as 95% of Earth's total tropospheric greenhouse effect (e.g., Freidenreich and Ramaswamy, ?Solar Radiation Absorption by Carbon Dioxide, Overlap with Water, and a Parameterization for General Circulation Models,? Journal of Geophysical Research 98 (1993):7255-7264).
Or try this
"The man-made causes are factories, cutting down trees, cars, and burning of fossil fuels. BUT these are only a very SMALL part of the total CO2 put into the atmosphere. Amazingly (you wouldn't know it to listen to the major media sources and movie-politicians) a whopping 97% of all CO2 added to the atmosphere comes from natural sources. These include the land and land animals, and more importantly the oceans. Many people believe CO2 to be THE major greenhouse gas, when in fact water vapor comes in at Number 1. So even though we are contributing to the gases that warm the atmosphere, 97% of the CO2 production and all of the water vapor are completely out of our control. The human portion of global change is very small indeed. "

2. "Given the present composition of the atmosphere, the contribution to the total heating rate in the troposphere (the portion of the atmosphere of most interest -- it is the region from the surface to basically the top of the active weather zone) is around 5% from carbon dioxide and around 95% from water vapor."
3."Humans can only claim responsibility for about 3.4% of carbon dioxide emitted to the atmosphere annually, the rest of it is all natural" (IPCC).
4. "The second largest emitter is the transportation sector, which involves carrying people and goods, and accounts for about 20 percent of the CO2 emissions" Oops, sorry, I said 30%
5. OK, not sure where I got the "30% from road transport" from - it appears to be "51%" see hmccc.s3.amazonaws.com/pdf/7980-TSO%20Book%20Chap%...f
6. In light of above change my statement 6 to "road transport is responsible for roughly 0.02% of the "greenhouse effect" so if you remoived every form of road transport from the earth's surface it would reduce the greenhouse effect by 0.02%"

As for your "If you accept that CO2 emissions needs to be urgently cut radically" I don't accept that - to quote another source "a worst case doubling of atmospheric carbon dioxide will still only produce a total warming under 1.5 °C" - the official figures are that temp in 1880 was 14 degrees plus or minus 0.7degrees. Since then temps have apparently risen by 0.6 degrees - in other words, within the error range of the original temp used as the basis for all this "global warming" stuff.
One of the basic questions to ask is "Has any global warming actually taken place since 1880 - the year on which we base all our figures?"
The truth is that no-one is really sure whether "global warming " exists - let alone whether it justifies a whole new tax regime on cars.
Regards
Phil

Phil, you've come closest to something approaching a scientific approach to your response, for which I thank you. But, you've ignored the elephant in the room. Only 3% of carbon emissions are human in origin per year by your figures. Fair enough, I can't argue with that. However, those 3% are in addition to the usual closed cycle that would normally operate - the other 97% is also reabsorbed per year by photosynthesis etc, and therefore the overall CO2 level would remain static.

My question is - what affect does the huge increase in average CO2 levels that is due to human activities have, given this addition to an otherwise closed loop? And what affect is the well publicised thawing of frozen methane in Arctic Canada expected to have?

It is these factors, and the addition to an otherwise stable and static system, that worries me. And as a scientist, I have seen no anti climate change arguments on here that would even vaguely reassure me. Indeed, the 3% figure is frankly terrifying.

And on that front, I must get some sleep as having flown back from Germany yesterday, I fly to the US early Sunday morning. Reality makes hypocrites of most of us at some point.

Edited by Gordon M on 13/12/2008 at 00:56

>>..dropping the daft plans to expand aviation. >>

But if the government was so worried about so called climate change, it surely wouldn't be so supportive of expanding major airports by adding new runways at Stanstead, Heathrow etc?

>>..is no reason to turn down the chance to reduce emissions from cars when they are routinely replaced.>>

From my observations, car manufacturers make great play of the fact that they are reducing engine emissions quite substantially with virtually every new model.

Surprisingly enough people adapt.

Indeed. From an objective point of view, one of the things that frustrates me about this whole debate is that we hear lots about whether it's happening or not, lots about whether it's man-made or not, lots about the changes we need to make to stop it but comparatively less about the alternative

I know how radically I supposedly need to change my life to do my bit to fix global warming. I don't know how radically my life might change if I continue as I am and global warming happens around me and I have to adapt.

Still speaking entirely objectively and dispassionately, if someone is convinced by the arguments that man made climate change is happening, "so what" is a legitimate question. Obviously there's lots talked about the consequences, but my impression is that the focus is more on how the problem can be fixed. Why we need to fix it is not always shouted about so much. It's sort of assumed that we know why.

I don't know why that is. Maybe to those leading the charge, the "why" question is so obvious that it can be taken for granted, and all that is left to be done is the "how". But given that there are so many people yet to even be convinced by "whether" (i.e. whether GW is happening and whether it is man-made), that seems a strange approach.
Obviously there's lots talked
about the consequences but my impression is that the focus is more on how the
problem can be fixed. Why we need to fix it is not always shouted about
so much. It's sort of assumed that we know why.

The Stern Review did a lot of number-crunching on the costs of inaction, and the significance of his conclusions was that remedial measures would be a lot more expensive than trying to prevent the problem: www.hm-treasury.gov.uk/stern_review_final_report.h...m

It did get a lot of coverage at the time it was published.
A lot of scientists refer to carbon emissions, whilst others refer to carbon dioxide. Carbon is not the same as carbon dioxide. If the scientists can't agree on what is (allegedly) causing the problem, or are vague about their description of the elements or compounds involved, then I have to remain sceptical about the whole thing.
A lot of scientists refer to carbon emissions whilst others refer to carbon dioxide. Carbon
is not the same as carbon dioxide. If the scientists can't agree [...] I have to remain sceptical about the whole thing.

There's no disagreement.

Both metrics are used, the weight of CO2 and/or the weight of carbon (embedded therein).

Both make sense - one measures the amount of carbon you've burnt, the other the amount of CO2 it turns into. CO2 is about 3.7 x the equivalent carbon figure. You just have to be aware which one you are using.
Both make sense - one measures the amount of carbon you've burnt the other the
amount of CO2 it turns into. CO2 is about 3.7 x the equivalent carbon figure.
You just have to be aware which one you are using.

And how many ordinary citizens are aware of that? If scientists are going to give out information to the general public it has to be in a form that the general public will understand.
The world is coming to an end, so turn off the kitchen light when your not in there, OK?

Ecomentalism is like a religion, you wont sway the believers regardless of any info you can produce. It actually reminds me of a certain faith that I was involved with some time ago, which will go unnamed for reasons of naming and shaming.

The basis of it was - dont question it, even for a second, or you will burn in hell - not unlike global warming, so maybe there is something in it!
After 30 years or so in the field - dealing with peoples problems - social interaction and subsequent effects on the human mind - I reached some conclusions.

1) the price exacted by sentience is belief

2) That there is a vulnerability - a susceptibility

3) You expose yourself to belief systems and cults at your peril.

4) Its seems more (much more) `hard wired` than I originally thought. (and was taught)

There must have been evolutionary advantage for a very long time period - going back tens of thousands of years - in having a belief system.
Its still there - if the circumstances are right.. a little temporary vulnerability.. *Persistent* exposure to a belief system.
You look into something - before you know it you`re *in* sometimes never to see the pre entry perspective again.
But what insight those who are fortunate to escape have..

Edited by oilrag on 13/12/2008 at 10:21

Now even Guardian readers reject Global Warming! - Alby Back
Well made points Oily. The human propensity to align to a tribe is deeply rooted in our most primitive instincts.

If you observe the behaviour of lower primates they naturally group together in their family or tribe and are constantly at war with their neighbours. Conflict with those not of their inner circle seems to be a natural instinct.

Similar behaviour can be observed in football supporters, racial groups, gender groups, religious communities, socio-economic groups and so on. There are countless examples.

Affiliation to causes is but an advanced variation on that theme. Some of these causes are founded in an amount of common sense but as in most cases of fanaticism the extremists go beyond the pale.
I'm not sure where you're going with this Oily. It's part of how human beings work.

Are you immune to this, and if so what does your great insight tell you that we have all missed? Or to put it another way, what mindset have you adopted? Or does one have to be indecisive to prove objectivity?

Edited by Manatee on 13/12/2008 at 11:16

Stuart, along with Monsieur Snail, you are particularly vociferous in your condemnation of mainstream scientific belief. I wondered if you could respond to my questions above about the nature of the closed versus open loop, and the affect of our rapidly changing that feedback mechanism.

That, frankly, is the nub of the potential problem. We are changing the rules of the game very rapidly. This has happened before - the climate has changed wildly with variations is various constituents in the atmosphere; the planets ability to survive and indeed thrive is not in question, what is not clear is our ability to do so. Mass extinctions are the norm throughout history, and I heard somewhere that environmental pressures caused modern mankind to be reduced to tiny numbers even relatively recently.

It is clear to me that the science is not yet 100%. But, the credible evidence is all pointing the same way, and the potential harm is huge. To dismiss it seems to be to be reckless at least. Perhaps you disagree, but it would be nice to hear a coherent argument why - the 3% argument doesn't stack up for reasons I hope I've outlined.
..... Monsieur Snail ..........

If the Earth is going through a period of global warming and if it's being aggravated by the activities of mankind then there's a good argument for letting it take its course. The Earth is overpopulated, so anything which will help to reduce/control the numbers could be seen as being advantageous. China is trying to control its population with its One-Child Policy, but (as far as I know) no other country is.
Fair enough, the world is indeed overpopulated, but I don't fancy the wars, famine and pestilence that might follow. That sounds worse than having to be a bit more careful with resources to me.
Now even Guardian readers reject Global Warming! - Webmaster
Global Warming? It all seems like a load of hot air to me.

This thread has deviated from motoring discussion and therefore its time to lock it.

Webmaster.