96 1.4 Lumpy running - csgmart
Due to a power steering leak I've not run my Polo for about 1 month now and the battery had gone flat when I went to start it today.

No problem as I used jump leads to get it going. The problem is the engine is really running rough now and it definately not running on all 4 cylinders.

I took off the distributor cap and gave it a good clean - no change. I then changed it for an old one I had when I changed the cap last year - no change.

My next line of enquiry will be to take the plugs out and check them to see if they are sparking.

The only thing bothering me is I seem to recall that using jump leads on the car could sometime cause the electronic 'brain' to stop working properly. Is this likely and if so would it not just stop working all together rather than just on a few cylinders?

What's more likely plugs, leads or something else?
Gosh, 32 views and not a single reply. Come on guys I'm in need of your help here!

Cheers!
96 1.4 Lumpy running - BobProperty
I'd do what you have suggested, take the plugs out and check they all work. I assume you have a similar engine to mine (AEX) and you have to get the air filter off first before you can get to the plugs which makes it a pain.
Thanks - I've got a speark from all plugs but it's definately not running smoothly.

If you give it some revs it seems to be fine but anything below 1500 rpm and it goes all lumpy again.

Taking the lead off plug no 4 made no difference so I assumed the the plug was u/s but a new one made no difference.

I guess the next step is to try a new set of leads perhaps? Would rather not buy new parts just to see if they work but I can't think of what to do next to be 100% sure that this is the problem.
96 1.4 Lumpy running - vulcan7
Hi
Not sure if you can but just swap leads round and if misfire changes to plug you have changed suspect lead to, then you need new lead but if still runs bad then plugs out and compression check, basics first or just take it for a good run and hope things sort themselves out may do.
Good idea - I really need a spare lead to diagnose which one is bad.

I'm sure compression is fine - it does run OK at higher revs.

Now I think of it I do recall it 'missing' a few times recently when driving so I guess the leads/plug/rotor cap/arm are the likely culprits here.

The leads are 12 years old so more than likely they are coming to the end of their life.
96 1.4 Lumpy running - Andrew Moorey (Tune-Up)
If it picks up on 4 with a few revs perhaps a vacuum leak is the problem. Check all the vac hoses particularly the servo hose. Spray some WD 40 round the inlet manifold area with the engine idling, this may pinpoint a leaking gasket or seal.
Finally fixed - new leads cured the problem. Runs like a good 'un again.