Insurance Database - BE AWARE!! - KB.
You will all be aware of the Motor Insurance Database (MID) and the website ASKMID, where you can check that your vehicle appears on it. I changed companies in recent months and also changed cars since. The first car didn't appear and when I called the Ins. Co. they had to make enquiries and manually amend whatever needed amending in order for it to appear... i.e. if I hadn't checked it would never have appeared and the car would have remained vulnerable to Police action if they considered it appropriate. My new Jazz hasn't been put on there either and the Ins. Co. are again manually doing whatever they need to do to get it to appear. They reckon it's because the Jazz is called a 1.4 when in fact it's 1339cc (don't ask me any more - I don't know!)....but the point is if you don't check the database yourself you won't know you're not on it until you get stopped and told your car appears to be uninsured. The Ins. Co. said it's OK coz the Police can ring to check - but not at 11 at night they can't!
Insurance Database - BE AWARE!! - commerdriver
On the other hand my son changed to a personal plate yesterday, called his insurance company (Elephant) at 12:30. The new registration is recognised in ASKMID this morning. Would love to see the proper statistics behind the DB for reliability now.
Insurance Database - BE AWARE!! - CGNorwich
When renewing my tax online recently I was advised that they were unable to trace any Insurance for the vehicle and a check on MIDS confirmed that it was not on the database. A call to my Broker soon remedied the situation but he advised me that it was not an uncommon problem and that my particular Insurer , a Lloyds syndicate, was one of the worst offenders.
Insurance Database - BE AWARE!! - Mr X
BBC Radio Merseysides phone in today was centered around yet another fully insured driver who had the car in question seized because its details didn't appear when they did the check.
Turned out to be an insurance clerical era but they had still not refunded the blokes £120 fee for getting his car out of the compound.

Now a driver came on and explained that he and his girlfriend both had their own cars with full comp insurance and the proviso that they could drive another car not owned by them. I do understand for that to apply in the case of my insurance, the other car must have the coverage of a fully comp policy. He got stopped whilst using his partners car and told that because it was insured on the data base in her name, then he was driving it with out insurance.
The officer involved declared that he had to be named on his partners insurance as well.
Any one wish to clarify ?
Insurance Database - BE AWARE!! - Rattle
I can't see that, I am a named driver on my dads policy (he has't bothered to phone them to take me off) me and my dad both have fully comp and can drive any car with the owners permision? So why would by dad need be a named driver to legally insure my car?

It seems too many people are getting caught up in this drive to get uninsured cars of the road.
Insurance Database - BE AWARE!! - freddy1
MID, have accepted that there database is "only as good as the info" and is about 90% accurate,

I had two motorcycles insured thru a broker , with a well known company , I was about 200 miles from home , carrying some cash , a debit card and my licence, I was stopped by the police on a ANPR check, the MID showed no insurance valid , and as it was sunday night , they could not check,

you,ve got it ? bike impounded.

Had to stop in a hotel overnight, and the wife drove down the following morning with my log book , my MOT, and insurance docuament.

The "well known" insurance company , were having a major problem with the MID, only the primery vehicle was being shown. the secondary vehicle was not being accepted (same polacy No as the first)

this took another 3 mths for them to sort out ,,,plus how long it had been happening.

they have admitted that they knew about this???????

I was not refunded the removal costs , or re-embersed for the financial costs.

MY THOUGHTS?

lets pass the MID database over to the DVLA , and they can fine any insurance company that is stupid,

also , if your vehicle is impounded , and found to be a fault of MID , you get a £1000 cash + plus all costs incurred.

but it won,t happen 10% failure rate = 90% acuraccy rate,

One of the phone in callers suggested some one push the whole thing through the courts in an action to recover all costs incurred as a result of wrongful confiscation and see if that could get the system sorted out. Another asked if he should his ring his local police station every day before setting out to ask them to check that he was on the data base because he didn't have access to a computer. In fact, he suggested that we all do that but the presenter decided it might not be a good idea.

Note. It was the Roger Phillips lunch time phone in and I think they actually got a plod to come on and discuss it. I think you can hear the show on one of those BBC listen again sites. radio Merseyside was the station involved.

Edited by Mr X on 04/12/2008 at 17:07

Insurance Database - BE AWARE!! - midlifecrisis
Stopped a car last night, that on the face of it wasn't insured. (Girlfriends car). It was quite simple to check the reg number of his own car, look at Insurance conditions and see he was insured to drive other vehicles.

Sent on his way no problems.

So surprisingly enough, cars aren't being seized willy nilly. (And that is my final comment on a subject that I think has been done to death on here)
Insurance Database - BE AWARE!! - henry k
So what is the advice to mitigate the potential problem of becoming an instant, very out of pocket, pedestrian ?

I guess.

Check the data base and if details are not there then shout at the insurance co until the details are there.

In the meanwhile, I do not want to carry around the original insurance doc so will a folded up photocopy in the depths of my wallet do or perhaps a laminated version in the boot be enough?

Hopefully this would cover any out of office hours chat with the BiB.
Insurance Database - BE AWARE!! - jbif
so will a folded up photocopy in the depths of my wallet do or perhaps a laminated version in the boot be enough?

See my link to the Stephen Farndon thread in the reply below. There you will find that the Police do not trust either a photocopy or an original - because they say these can be forged, or can be true originals for an insurance policy which has subsequently been cancelled.
What they think about originals taken to a Police station in response to a "producer", I do not know.

Insurance Database - BE AWARE!! - movilogo
it was sunday night , they could not check

So they could not verify the details out of hours? But they do carry out checks at that time and impound vehicles?

I have been informed by a plod in my area that absolutely NO paper insurance document will do in place of the magic writing on a computer screen. This is because
1. You may have cancelled your policy as soon as you got the cert in order to get a refund.
2. You may very well have devised and printed your own.

Opps , you beat me to it. An insurance cert is no longer worth the paper it is printed on.

Edited by Mr X on 04/12/2008 at 17:17

Insurance Database - BE AWARE!! - Hamsafar
Swiftcover don't even issue certificates, you have to download a PDF and print it yourself. The whole thing is a typical British establishment cock-up.
I was not refunded the removal costs , or re-embersed for the financial costs.

freddy1:
report your case to Stephen Farndon, who is compiling a list of such incidents:
www.honestjohn.co.uk/forum/post/index.htm?t=68927&...e

Insurance Database - BE AWARE!! - freddy1
>> I was not refunded the removal costs or re-embersed for the financial costs.
freddy1:
report your case to Stephen Farndon who is compiling a list of such incidents:
www.honestjohn.co.uk/forum/post/index.htm?t=68927&...e

Ok , the police are not guilty , as they were working on the correct info supplied by the MID (gospel)

the insurace Co, at first said that the info had been sent to the MID , although admitted later, knowing that there was a problem with multi bike poacies (unofficially)

the MID , do not, and are not answerable to the general public??

hell they do not even have a contact email or phone number, they are funded by the insurance companies , and do not / will not talk to a member of the public?

this situation needs to be addressed,
the MID , do not, and are not answerable to the general public?? ... this situation needs to be addressed,

That is the whole point of Farndon's campaign. He wants to make the insurance companies and the MIB responsible for the errors, and made to pay exemplary damages/penalty when they make errors, so as to give them a financial incentive to get their database far more accurate than it is currently.

As I said, make your case known to Farndon.

Is it one for the govts consumer minister ( sure we have one ) to get involved with and sort out. Lets not be kidded. The problem is more wide spread than those in power would like us to believe.
Insurance Database - BE AWARE!! - Pica
I had a problem with my details not being included on the NIB. The broker concerned was useless and kept ignoring my requests and that went on for a few months. I did try and contact the actual insurance company myself and they were not very interested either In the end I telephoned the Insurance Ombudsman who wrote to the insurance company to request why this had not been done and I got an apology from the insurance company along with a reason; apparently the broker had not passed on the details to them.

I now always carry a copy of my insurance documents incase plod stop me. The information is only as good as the data input after-all
Insurance Database - BE AWARE!! - martint123
Like Freddie above, I have a dual bike policy with a well know bike insurer and only the first bike appeared on the MID. It took many phone calls and a couple of months and mention of having been stopped by ANPR before they actually did something about it.
Insurance Database - BE AWARE!! - GroovyMucker
ANPRS is going to become even more used than it is now.

It's definitely worth checking.
Insurance Database - BE AWARE!! - Zippy123
Perhaps people wronged by the database should take action personally against the police officer who wrongly deprived them of their goods!
I have advocated that before. Just as you might sue for wrongful arrest, then perhaps a few case against wrongly seized goods might help improve the system.