05 1.5 "Change Oil" message - tunacat
SWMBO tells me her Modus diesel is putting up a "Change Oil Soon" message (or words to that effect) on the dash.
The standard-use-conditions service intervals are 12 months or 12,000 miles.
But according to the service record, the previous owner only had the car serviced (including oil and ALL filters) at a Renault dealer's in February, and 7,500 miles ago.
No doubt I'll get the oil changed anyway just to be sure,
but I was wondering:
Does this engine employ some kind of optical translucency (or other) sensing, to determine when the oil needs changing?

Modus - jbif
car serviced (including oil and ALL filters) at a Renault dealer's in February, and 7,500 miles ago.

Is it possible that the service was done earlier than required, and the Garage omitted to reset the counter?

Edited by jbif on 04/12/2008 at 10:28

Modus - DP
If it's the same as the Scenic's, it's a simple mileage counter.

It will say "CHANGE OIL SOON" for a while, then it says "CHANGE OIL NOW" and sticks the SERVICE light on as well. It sounds like the dealer forgot to reset it, particularly if it was serviced before the mileage limit, as the indicator wouldn't have been on.

You can reset it by navigating to the service countdown on the trip computer, and then holding down one of the navigation buttons for about 10 seconds.

There is no oil quality monitor on these engines that I am aware of.
Modus - tunacat
Thanks very much for the info, DP.

Does resetting by use of the column stalk reset the whole service mileage counter,
or just stop the 'Change Oil' nag until such time as the Service Light kicks-in?

Modus - DP
Hi tunacat,
It resets the whole counter back to whatever the service interval is. The Service light in this case is just an extra nag which accompanies the CHANGE OIL NOW message, and that gets reset as well, if it's on.
You can put the message out doing this, and then just reset again when you have it serviced. You can reset the counter at any time.
All this of course assumes it's the same setup as our similar vintage Scenic.

Cheers
DP

05 1.5 "Change Oil" message - ironclad
I've had the same message on a low mileage 2007 1.5DCi well before 12000 miles or 12 months and I'm told there is some sort of oil quality sensor, so my frequent short journeys have degraded the oil. On calling at the Renault dealer the lease company annoyingly declined to authorise a service. Renault UK finally agreed a service was necessary when the 'Service now' message appeared.

Apart from that car has been reliable, quite refined for a small diesel, comfortable, well equipped, reasonable handling, 61 mpg.
05 1.5 "Change Oil" message - midlife - what crisis?
Have only just seen this. I was told that the service reminder light is displayed up to 6-8 weeks before the expiry of the 12 months service interval, assuming the 12,000 miles has not laready been reacheded. That's exactly what has happened in my 2 years' ownership of my Modus. So I think the sign displaying in December is about right for a service due the following February. No doubt this is Renault's way of bringing forward the next service.