Driving through puddles. - FotheringtonThomas
Driving through puddles - is it:

o - A good thing, 'cos it washes muck off the underneath of the car;

o - A bad thing, 'cos it leads to a build-up of muck under the car.

Hm?

I'd tend to go for the former, especially if it's been raining enough to wash all the flippin' salt off the road - but ICBW.
Driving through puddles. - Cymrogwyllt
I avoid them where safe to do so. They could be half an inch deep. No problem at reasonable speeds. On the other hand it could be a deep pothole of tyre or even wheel crunching dimentions
Driving through puddles. - Hamsafar
I take every puddle on it's individual merits.
Driving through puddles. - jc2
It is amazing how many engines "hydraulic" when driving thro' 0.5" of water at 0.5mph. or so the driver claims.
Driving through puddles. - Chris S
Avoid deep puddles - you can damage the catalytic converter or crack the exhaust in two. It's not an urban myth - I've seen it happen!

Driving through puddles. - Enoughalready
I take every puddle on it's individual merits.

Likewise. Also depends if I'm driving my own or hire/company car!
Driving through puddles. - Lud
Surely puddles are of no interest unless one is going at high speed and they are very large? The only significant risks are loss of control through aquaplaning and soaking passing pedestrians in muddy water from head to foot. The car doesn't care one way or the other.
Driving through puddles. - Enoughalready
It has bitten me once. I was driving a 55 reg Multipla (awful car - my opinion) and hit a puddle at 25-30mph. I got soaked. It came from below the dash somewhere and sprayed me and the interior even up to the carpeted dash (hmm nice). Goodness knows here it came in from as many a puddle or flood passed through again and it never repeated the performance.

Edited by Webmaster on 02/12/2008 at 00:16

Driving through puddles. - Lud
Enoughalready has reminded me that in Africa somewhere in a long-distance taxi, Peugeot 504 most likely, a jet of muddy water suddenly came through a hole in the floor and went straight up my trouser leg.
Driving through puddles. - Alby Back
When I had a Westfield ( have mentioned that before ? ) I became friends with a couple of other owners. Well, we weren't actually friends but no one else would really speak to us so we had to make do.

One of the guys proudly showed off his latest mod at a meet. ( see how the jargon just trips off the keyboard eh ? ) He had drilled lots of little holes in the floor in a pleasing pattern which spelled the letters WF in holes. The theory was that quite apart from its dubious aesthetic benefits that it would be a cunning way of dealing with the old "I left it parked with the hood off but it was raining when I came back" dilemma.

We admired his handiwork and compared roll hoop mounting techniques etc for a while and went home. It rained, heavily. He decided to do away with the little holes after that.

Edited by Humph Backbridge on 01/12/2008 at 15:04

Driving through puddles. - Alanovich
Whilst living in the Soviet Union years back, I was once imprisoned in the back of a Volga taxi which would charmingly fill with its own exhaust fumes whilst stopped at traffic lights. Whilst we were grateful to the driver for breaking the unwritten Soviet highway code disallowing stopping on red and recommending a good blast of horn instead, I would have gladly swapped you for a spurt of puddle water up the trews.

Compounding the problem, of course, was the fact that this particular Volga was no exception to the Soviet taxi rule of having had its rear window winders removed, lest a fare should nick them.
Driving through puddles. - Bagpuss
@Alanovich. All rings very true in modern Russia. I particularly like the way taxi drivers take wearing a seat belt as an insult as it means you don't trust them.

To save passengers from this dilemma, a lot of them considerately remove the seat belts. Hurtling through the streets of Moscow at 100km/h in a Volga with non-existent brakes and no seat belts is a uniquely terrifying experience.
Bagpuss, I'm strangely comforted to hear that things have changed very little. My Eastern sojourns these days stop at Belgrade, where they have the same attitude to those who don a seat belt in their vehicle. Raise eyebrow, shake head, suppress laughter, shrug shoulders and tell you you don't need to worry so much. Crunch Yugo Florida into first and tear off down the trams-only reservation, only leaving it to turn hard left across all the other six lanes down a one-way street.

Do all Russian taxi drivers still have a little clipboard stuck to the windscreen with a picture of Sam Fox/Linda Lusardi clipped to it?
Driving through puddles. - hillman1 {p}
Do all Russian taxi drivers still have a little clipboard stuck to the windscreen with
a picture of Sam Fox/Linda Lusardi clipped to it?

Which reminds me of a trip in a taxi when I lived in Romania which had not only a picture of a naked lady stuck on the dashboard, but a delightful 'Mary, Mother of Jesus' icon sitting proudly beside.... I'm sure Mary was proud :-)
Driving through puddles. - Bagpuss
Do all Russian taxi drivers still have a little clipboard stuck to the windscreen with
a picture of Sam Fox/Linda Lusardi clipped to it?

LOL, you must have been there a while ago.

What has changed, of course, are the prices. Last time I was there in September I got robbed charged 300 Euros to go from Domodedovo airport to an industrial estate 25km away and back in a relatively new (i.e. less than 10 years old) but completely unroadworthy Volga. The driver belonged to the "labour the engine in as high a gear as possible 'cos I think it saves fuel" persuasion.
The driver belonged to the "labour the engine in as high a
gear as possible 'cos I think it saves fuel" persuasion.

Bagpuss, I remember those well. Many a time I thought I'd witness a Volga gear stick finally giving up the ghost and shooting through the windscreen or straight in to my chest. I consoled myself with the fact that if it did hit me, the replacement Plasticraft gear knob containing some trinket from a holiday on the Black Sea would be blunt enough to make penetration of the rib cage unlikely.

Also, there were those who thought driving at night without any lights saved fuel, and those who liked to switch the engine off whilst free-wheeling downhill. Fortunately, Moscow is quite flat, but Tbilisi is another story. Terrifying.

I spent a fair bit of time there between 1985-91 in various Republics of the Soviet Onion, leaving a few weeks before Bozza took the White House and I have never, sadly, returned. I plan to go next spring, if I can hold down my job.
Driving through puddles. - skorpio
I don't get a choice when I'm on my bicycle so I always keep a change of socks at work.
Driving through puddles. - Stroudie
Could be risky.
Don't you remember the Vicar of Dibley classic scene?-Geraldine jumps in puddle while out walking with boyfriend -and disappears into v. deep hole.
Almost as good as the "Only Fools and Horses" chandelier cleaning job.
Driving through puddles. - Altea Ego
the speed of travel puddle is directly proportional to the length of people in the bus queue and their distance from the kerb.

If they are 10 yards away and 5 yards long, about 40mph should cover them
Driving through puddles. - willchow
Would a puddle clean the underside of the car?

Any how, I'd have thought water getting into the electrics a problem on some cars. The mark 3 Golf used to have this problem. Later cars had a plate fitted under the engine to stop this.

Will
Driving through puddles. - GJD
Almost as good as the "Only Fools and Horses" chandelier cleaning job.

Ah, comedy genius! Why that moment is so rarely remembered compared to Del-boy falling through the bar I do not know. The bar thing was funny enough, but the chandalier was the culmination of build up over the whole episode.

Driving through puddles. - runboy
During the cold months I would be suspicious of the amount of salt that had washed into the larger puddles - one way to blast salty water into every nook and cranny.
Driving through puddles. - Dynamic Dave
After the clip they showed on Top Gear last night, I would be wary of driving through any puddles ;o)

uk.youtube.com/watch?v=K7hSwBneCbY

Driving through puddles. - L'escargot
When travelling at speed I avoid wide puddles which stretch a long way from the edge of the road to prevent the chance of the steering being pulled violently.
Driving through puddles. - madf
If puddles were full of clean water I would think they might wash off some dirt.
They are , however, usually full of brown water heavily laced with earth, fertiliser runoff, cow dung, horse dung, diesel oil and engine oil.

The oils provide a stabilising effect and allow the items in suspension to stick to the existing dirt under your car and make it more toxic and rust enhancing.

If you want to wash the underside of your car, use a ford (a water crossing, not a car:-).. and take a lifebelt in case of unforseen depths or floods...

As we are surrounded by hills and farms, puddles also may in spring contain live or dead wildlife...

Driving through puddles. - FotheringtonThomas
If puddles were full of clean water I would think they might wash off some
dirt.
They are however usually full of brown water heavily laced with earth fertiliser runoff cow
dung horse dung diesel oil and engine oil.
The oils provide a stabilising effect and allow the items in suspension to stick to
the existing dirt under your car and make it more toxic and rust enhancing.

Hurrah, an OT reply! I wondered whether the sudden swish of water, muddy or not (within limits!) would displace mud built up at other times. I will wait 'till it's been raining heavily, & give things a look before/after.
Driving through puddles. - LiverpaulH
I know people say you shouldn't but if I see a puddle I have an uncontrollable urge to drive through it. To the extent that if I can make a minor detour on a journey to ensure I have to drive through a ford, then I will. I love it when the roads flood, and yes have been caught out before, meaning now when buying a car I will check where the air intake is, if its lower than the bonnet line or tucked safely at the rear of the engine/ top of wheel arch I am not interested!!

To answer the original question, imo they clean the car if deep enough and wide enough!

Edited by LiverpaulH on 02/12/2008 at 13:22

Driving through puddles. - madf
I found a dead squirrel once under the front bumper when doing my weekly car wash. As it was heavily decomposed, I assumed I had caught it up when going through a puddle...
Driving through puddles. - bananastand
I stayed in Bucharest shortly after Ceaucescu got topped with a lovely family on the nth floor of tower block C437 or whatever. Head of family had a dacia with the slippiest clutch I have ever seen function and two red and blue lights on the dash that would flash alternately. When I asked him what they were for, it turned out, to paraphrase, they were just aesthetically pleasing and made his driving experience better.
Driving through puddles. - willchow
bananastand

:-) But the puddle link?

zero - it was to do with other posters talking about experiences in ex-commie countries. sorry will get back on message
Driving through puddles. - rtj70
Start a motoring related thread about these things and it might be worth discussing? If there is anything worth mentioning that is.
thanks for the advice parp