H T Leads - replacement? - aj
A friend of mine runs the same car as me 1996 VW Golf VR6 and has recently fitted new plug leads. He tells me that the car runs much better with improved throttle response and power as a result.

The leads on the car are original VW leads and are marked as having a resistance of 5 K ohms. I have tested mine with a meter and they all give a reading of between of 6 and 6.3 K ohms. Does anyone know if this is sufficiently high to make changing them worthwhile? I haven't noticed any particular loss of performance and have had no starting problems etc. I don't particularly want to shell out the £50.00 plus VAT that a new set of leads will cost unless it is necessary.

Any advice would be appreciated.
H T Leads - replacement? - jud
Try swooping leads with your mate to test for a improvement before you rush out and buy some.
H T Leads - replacement? - Andrew Hamilton
Could do a visual inspection to see if leads are breaking down - visible cracks or soot marks. Quick way is to touch them when engine running but side effects make sure you only do it once! Current is so low DC resistance not critical. Could a garage to a quick check of HT voltage profile on their scope?
H T Leads - replacement? - Armitage Shanks{P}
If you run the car in the dark with the bonnet open you may see signs of tracking and sparking around the plug leads. They could still be faulty even if you don't see this effect. I seem to remember that modern leads don't have much metal in them - they are some sort of impregnated fabric core which breaks down over time to give poor performance.
H T Leads - replacement? - Cyd
The resistance you measure isn't cause enough on its own to change the leads. Try Armitages advice - this was how I found faulty leads on my Rover turbo.

A friend runs his Golf GTi on the same leads I have on my Rover - Magnecor KV85. Very highly recommended if you do find you need new leads.
H T Leads - replacement? - Peter D
VW golfs use copper leads and a resistive special to type cap. These caps to need to be cleaned internally and externally the resistence is a nominal 5K but your 6 K is no problem. nornally the only fault here is the resistor going open circuit. Check the resistance hot and cold I have come across a cap only failed when how and caused a power on misfire, resistance was over 100K ohms. Peter
H T Leads - replacement? - svpworld
5K, 5000 ohms between the ends of HT leads??? Seems very high to me! Are we talking end to end, I would assume it would need to be about 5 milliohms, certainly a few ohms at the most or am I mistaken????

S.

Hi,

There are two type of HT leads commonly in use. One is the copper lead with a resistive cap and the other is a carbon loaded thead as the inner conductor. This negates the need for resistive caps but means the resistance is different for each lead length. Normally about 10 K ( Yes 10,000 ohms ) per metre.

The resistor is required for supression puposes not only for the radio reception in the car but for other road users and household radio and TV reception ajacent to roads. Peter
H T Leads - replacement? - El Hacko
PS don't know what petrol you use, but my son switched from supermarket unleaded to Shell Optimax and his VR6's performance (and tickover) improved noticeably

EL Hacko (not connected with Shell)
H T Leads - replacement? - svpworld
I switched from Supermarket petrol to Shell Optimax and I've found my fuel consumption is considerably better! I run a 2.0 16V omega.

S.

If we did everything that is claimed by someone or other to improve performance and/or fuel consumption, our cars would have nano-second 0-60 acceleration and would run on air! ;-)
H T Leads - replacement? - dave18
I have until 830am tomorrow to decide whether to get mine changed as part of the service!
309 1.4i, K93, 83000 miles. Another 2000 over the next few weeks and then about 500 per month from then onwards.
H T Leads - replacement? - Armitage Shanks{P}
You can buy ready made up and cut to length plug lead sets at Halfords and other motor factors. It is certainly a DIY job and if you want it done why pay some chap on a YTS scheme £40 + main dealer parts prices to do it for you?
H T Leads - replacement? - Peter D
Do not go for third party leads, if you require a sensibly prices OEM set goto German & Swedish or Euro-Parts and buy a set. Also buy a complete set of Bosch Wiper blades at the same time to off set the postage. Regards Peter