1996 2.0 Went thru puddle, exhaust mounts caught f - Neb62
Ok this one beats me, a couple of weeks ago, after avoiding umpteen puddles, I managed to get caught by a fairly deep one, what's worse is I didn't see it at all and hit it a some speed.
Consequently the car was not happy, seemed to be firing on 2 or 3 only, dreadful rattling sound, from what seemed like the exhaust, misfiring, but seemed better on idle.
When any revs put on it would cough and splutter, but did notice it was getting better, the longer it was left running - I assumed it was drying out.
HOWEVER - although the car was driving noticed that the rubber exhaust mounts had caught fire !!! Oddly enough after putting fire out and leaving it for a while the car stopped misfiring and in fact drove better than it had in a long time.
Took it to a garage to get a new mount and he advised me that what probably happened was water got in the compression chamber, stopped it firing and fuel then went up the exhaust and caused an explosion, taking out the cat-con, he went on to say that a bit of debris probably got stuck and caused the exhaust to over heat and consequently make the mounts catch fire...hmmm How gullible can I be?? but as it didn't cost anything, I didn't give a monkeys
Anyway it had been driving well for the past 2 weeks, seemed more economical as well, so yesterday treated her to a car wash, all was fine until today, for no reason it starts to behave like it had been thru that puddle again, misfiring on high revs or when power needed (ie going up a hill) idles fine though, until its revved.
Have no idea what the problem could be. Any suggestions guys?? I fear the timing belt may have slipped, but smooth idleing dispells this.....doesn't it??
1996 2.0 Went thru puddle, exhaust mounts caught f - Screwloose

It was the misfire that caused the exhaust to overheat. Unburned fuel passing into in the exhaust was burning in the cat - possibly with fatal consequences for the cat itself.

First check that the air filter hasn't been dragged into the intake pipe. If it's been wet, change it. Then carry out a compression test to check for bent rods - rattling on a petrol isn't a nice symptom.