Red dot on new tyre - the_bandit
Just bought two new tyres for my car. One of them has a red dot on the sidewall, the other one does not.

Anyone know the significance of the red dot ?

Edited thread title, Rob

Edited by rtj70 on 25/11/2008 at 11:01

Rod dot on new tyre - OldSock
It may indicate the position of any out-of-balance 'high spot'.
Rod dot on new tyre - the_bandit
This red dot looks like it has been on since manufacture. In that case this tyre almost sounds like a second to me!
Rod dot on new tyre - jc2
The red dot should be next to the valve;goes back to the days before tyres were balanced.
Rod dot on new tyre - Dynamic Dave
It might also have a yellow dot on the side of the tyre as well.

See the section "Coloured dots and stripes - whats that all about?" in the following link.

www.carbibles.com/tyre_bible.html

By the way, it's the yellow dot that's supposed to be aligned with the valve stem.
The red dot is the high spot of the tyre.
Rod dot on new tyre - martint123
I understood that the red spot was to indicate the hight spot of the tyre and should be mounted against any low spot of the wheel (out of centre) (not so common nowadays).

Yellow spots indicate the light part of the tyre and gets mounted next to the valve.

Motorcycle tyres certainly still use yellow markings.

edit: Snap DD

Edited by martint123 on 25/11/2008 at 10:39

Rod dot on new tyre - Bill Payer
These things are always so confusing!

I just got 2 Michelin Primacy HP's (which, from another thread he's written, are same make and model as OP's) from Costco. Neither had red/yellow dots on (I looked for them) but one did have a band around it.

I've seem comments that this is to do with the run-out of the tyre but others saying that's rubbish and it's simply a stock-keeping thing for the manufacturer. I asked Costco and that's what they said it was a stock thing too. But then why does one tyre have a band and the other doesn't? Shrug!
Rod dot on new tyre - Cliff Pope
I did wonder if it meant outward-facing side, and worried that I had fitted the recent set the wrong way round. But then I noticed the tyres have a red dot on both sides.
So that seems to dispose of the next-to-the-valve theory.
Rod dot on new tyre - mrsarcasm
I used to run a mini with Yokahamas on it, they always had red dots.
Also: www.uklegacy.com/forums/index.php?s=2ea3e8eb36f58f...7

Edited by mrsarcasm on 25/11/2008 at 11:42

Rod dot on new tyre - b308
Just to confuse things even further when I used to be involved in racing Coleway used to do two types of remoulds, one red spot and the other white - they were different compounds I believe - the white being softer if I remember rightly...

Edited by b308 on 25/11/2008 at 16:33

Rod dot on new tyre - Hamsafar
"Yellow spots indicate the light part of the tyre and gets mounted next to the valve." I agree, that's what I have always read, although hardly any tyre fitters do this, National tyres did when I used to use them before they did a Kwik Fit price match.