01 2.0 HDi starting problem - scfc_151
Not a major problem but every now and again I have some trouble starting it.

When completley cold the glow plug light comes on as you would expect for about a second and goes out but the car doesnt always fire up straight away. I also have a problem when its warm and you wouldnt expect the glow plug light to come on it still doesnt start straight away. It will turn over but not fire up.

Theres only a couple of occasions where it starts and stops straight away.

Im just hoping theres a simple obvious fix rather that the immobiliser or ecu etc.

Are there any obvious faults on these cars with glow plug relays or ignition problems?

Just for additional info the car had a new lift pump and has a good full charged battery

cheers
01 2.0 HDi starting problem - Screwloose

They don't need glow-plugs in our weather - probably start anywhere, eventually, without them. They're more an emissions thing - and usually a few have gone.

The lift pump? In the tank? Bosch or Siemens system?
hi its a bosch lift pump if i remember rightly

any suggestions?

So it has a tank pump? [The Siemens doesn't.]

Does that pump run for a good few seconds at key-on? What was wrong with the old one - metal contamination? Was it a genuine pump from a dealer?

Has this always had pump diesel in it?
The old one needed a good smack when it cut out and i got the RAC man out. He said it was 'sticking' and when i turned it over and he hit it it kicked in.

I got a new one from peugeot and its been fine from that point of view. It does run with the key on. Its always had diesel in (at least since ive owned it)

OK; if the tank pump is working properly and it's predecessor wasn't killed by steel frag, then maybe one injector is cracked and leaking-back excessively.

These won't run with less than 120 bar in the rail; even a tiny injector leak will make it hard work for the pump to build pressure.

An injector leak-off test is probably the next step; but check the terminals on the 15-pin fuelling relay first.