Lorry lights-mostly - ianhadden
Why do lorry drivers, when making a delivery & parking on the wrong side of the road, leave their headlights on? Maybe in daylight, but in the dark? I get it every morning on my way to work, between 6&7am.
Lorry lights-mostly - Clanger
Can't be bothered to turn them off. Not all lorry drivers will be this thoughtless; only the ones you see.
Lorry lights-mostly - Screwloose

It's Darwinism. They are too stupid to realize that blinded drivers passing through the dipped-beam kick won't be able to see them standing by the side of the truck.

When they are, inevitably, wiped up; then they've been removed from the gene-pool - to the benefit of the rest.
Lorry lights-mostly - storme
wow...thats a bit harsh
Lorry lights-mostly - Harleyman
wow...thats a bit harsh

Not only harsh; pig-ignorant and downright offensive.

Regrettably, it's the likes of Screwloose ( an appropriate screen-name if ever there was) who give the rest of the car drivers who think they have sole ownership of the roads a bad name.

I broke down on a traffic island on the M4 a few weeks ago; broad daylight, hazards on, I'm wearing a hi-viz coat, not just a waistcoat, directing traffic round my lorry till the police arrived. If I had a fiver for every car driver who nearly ploughed into me because they weren't looking where they were going I'd have been able to retire tomorrow.

The reason we put our lights on is so that you can see us, gentlemen. Does it not occur to some of you that if we're on the wrong side of the road, stationary, there might be a reason for it? We're certainly not there to enjoy the view! It encourages you to slow down, thereby reducing the damage caused to our backsides as you rush past us on your way to your far more important jobs. }:(

Rant over.
Lorry lights-mostly - oilrag
Why not just lock off the thread at this point?
Lorry lights-mostly - bathtub tom
I was taught to turn off my headlights when parked to avoid dazzling other traffic. I believe it's illegal to park on the wrong side of the road with headlights on, or even on the right side.

I'm with Screwloose on this.
Lorry lights-mostly - Lud
Why not just lock off the thread at this point?

That seems a bit unlike you oilrag (wanting to stop a frank exchange of views I mean, not wanting to minimise tiresome and ill-natured conflict). The combatants have reached an understanding by themselves and apologised in an honest and gentlemanly fashion, as I rather expected and hoped.

Doesn't always happen though...
Harleyman

I'm not just a car driver; I've got an HGV1 [C+E if you must] and many, many, years of breakdown/recovery experience. I've also lost friends and colleagues to passing vehicles.

Lights that dazzle are no advantage to my safety. Even beacons must be used with thought - over-bright strobes can dazzle many older drivers, particularly spectacle wearers, to the point of blindness.

Headlights should never be left on when a vehicle is parked on the "wrong" side of the road, with the dip-beam facing out, you are risking a dangerous driving charge if an accident occurs.

They add nothing to safety in daylight and you can't see what's past a light in the dark.

Edited by Screwloose on 22/11/2008 at 15:48

Lorry lights-mostly - Harleyman
Okay, Screwloose, my apologies. I read your original to be a crack at ALL lorry drivers and there've been far too many on here.

I've had far too many instances, though, when I've been unloading in the dark, even with hazards and hi-vis on, and come close to being flattened by some retard who's late for work belting past flat-out.

I would be grateful if the Mods would be kind enough to delete my original post .
Harleyman

No offence taken at all; I could see that you thought that I was an unappreciating car driver and was just updating the facts.

The lack of respect for persons working in the carriageway is now endemic; I've been hit countless times. Years ago; cars would stop and wait for a gap to pass; now they just blast through regardless.

The secret is not to give them the room. I'll now often park the 6x6 truck feet out from the kerb to block half the road off - that stops 'em. They do tend to shout abuse though....

[Mothers rushing to pick up "their child" are the worst.....]

Edited by Screwloose on 22/11/2008 at 16:02

Lorry lights-mostly - brum
Why do lorry drivers when making a delivery & parking on the wrong side of
the road leave their headlights on?

Its because they are not all certified advanced advanced pass plus super drivers with impeccible blemish free accident / no points records like most people on this forum obviously are. Or maybe its because at 6 am in the morning they realise that 50% of people driving are still half asleep.
Lorry lights-mostly - pda
But it's far more likely to be that at 6am they have just forgotten to turn them off.

I shall make a mental note to remember in future:)

Now don't get me started on low loaders with flashing orange lights on the back of the trailer when emty on the motorway and doing 56MPH for miles and miles just in front of me.

Does that make me an 'older driver'?

Pat
Lorry lights-mostly - oilrag
"That seems a bit unlike you oilrag (wanting to stop a frank exchange of views"

Sure, I accept that Lud. Apologies to all.
Lorry lights-mostly - Dave_TD
But it's far more likely to be that at 6am they have just forgotten to turn them off.

My dips cut out when I switch the ignition off, leaving only sidelights and hazards on whenever I get out of the cab (W-reg MAN 7.5t).

I always take the keys with me, no matter how brief the stop, as my boss trusts me to look after his £000's-worth of truck and its load.